Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from vacation in the Big Apple and found in the mail my notice that my application had been approved for my CCL and that I could pick it up by the 23rd. Called the sherriff's department and they said it was in so I went and picked up. Son had a baseball practice for the All-Star team so I slid my under armour shirt w/ the built in holsters and nothing but a t-shirt over the top. XDSC 9mm is what I'm carrying and it printed a little if my shirt got pulled tight against it from moving my arms in certain positions. Nobody noticed during the entire practice that I was carrying. My wife arrived after I did and I made sure my arms were in a position to make it print and told her to look. She kept saying "what?" She didn't notice until I pointed it out. Pretty satisfied so far.

Head home and pull out the XD and noticed it was moist from sweat. No biggie, put it under some light to wipe down and I notice some rust. Took a cloth and wiped it all off and all is well, but this rusting situation has me a little worried. I assume as long as I keep it wiped down all will be good.

Just thought I'd share my first CC experience.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
For the rust put a wax on your pistol....a vary cheap solution is a tub of Johnsons paste wax take a rag and wipe the wax over the slide this can be found for a couple bucks at walmart. Armadillo is another option.

And Its always a good day when you do it for the first time now your not a virgin.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Congrats Skyfy on your CCDW! The more you carry concealed,
the less non conspic you will feel. James has let a cat out of the
bag on the advice to use the wax. It is the cheapest way to go
to keep the sweat off the machine.

Ed

·
Registered
285 Posts
Boeshield T-9 is much better than wax. It will easily protect your XD from rust for months.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I can't believe no one is recommending the Blue Wonder Armadillo! Awesome stuff I use it on mine and my AR, and my revolver.

You can also send it to Mac's Shooting Iron to get it refinished in a nice tough coat.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ah I remember the "First Time".. LOL

Yeah I was constantly checking myself to make sure my shirt hadn't ridden up or got caught on the butt of the pistol or something. If anything was going to give me away it was me constantly fondling the gun! You get used to it though and it kind of slips to the back of your mind but you're still aware, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just make sure your wife is the only one who heard you say "is it printing?", "look it's right here!"
Always keep in mind the awsome responsibility you now carry on/in your hip/belly/pocket /car and you'll be fine :wink:

My wife always checks me from behind when I get out of the car just to be sure the shirt didn't ride up over the grip or holster.
I didn't ask her to, she just does it out of habit and the fact that I carry to protect her as well as our children and losing my CCW would be a bad thing.

BTW, I had my XD subcompact hard chromed at APW/Cogan because of the rust thing, it's something you may want to invest in especially if you're in a high humidity area.

Congrats on your CCW and welcome to the side of society that chooses not to be a victim :D

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
retired said:
"Armadillo is another option. " This is from James in his post above. He beat ya. lol
What time did I post mine? oh, 2AM. No wonder I missed it. I probably couldn't see straight. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts