Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my CCW last week and have been carrying my XD9 Service in a Don Hume 715 IWB since then. After carrying the service all week, I realized "Wow, this can get really uncomfortable at times". I have poured over reviews, specs, and such looking for a better carry option. I am a fan of the 9mm cartridge and really wanted something in that caliber. In my search, I was convinced that I wanted a 1911 micro in 9mm with night sites, and possible a double action trigger (ala Para PDA or Kimber CDP).

Off to the gun show I went with the family in tow. I searched every table and only found one 1911 variant that met my specs. It was a Kimber Custom Shop in 9mm with night sites. It was $1100 which was a hard pill to swallow.

I walked around for a while longer and found myself checking out the dismal XD selection more and more. You see, I have the XD9 Service and love it. I have put about 500 rounds through it with zero failures. It fits me.

I ended up leaving the show with a XD9SC with factory Trijicons for $489. I like to think I got a deal.

Unbelievably, not one dealer had pearce extensions for the XD, so I am currently working on ordering one.

I have to apologize for the crap pic. I took this before cleaning the factory dust and oil off of it:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Nice. What state do you live in? Why dont you OC?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The majority of the states do not allow open carry as far as I know ...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great looking gun. What kind of camera?
Thanks Thumper. The camera is a Nikon D40. It's just a quick snapshot at iso 1600.

Nice. What state do you live in? Why dont you OC?
I'm in Virginia where OC is legal, but open carry just isn't for me. I really prefer to go about my daily business with my weapon concealed. Don't get me wrong, the service isn't *that* bad to carry IWB, but sitting and driving can be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've got a Nikon D40X. I figured it was something pretty nice. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I ended up leaving the show with a XD9SC with factory Trijicons for $489. I like to think I got a deal.

Unbelievably, not one dealer had pearce extensions for the XD, so I am currently working on ordering one.
At least in TN, that's a VERY good price, as here $500 is pretty much the universal low for a new XDSC9, + tax/check, and with just factory sights.

I put a Pearce on mine, even shaved it down to get rid of the point, but wound up taking it off for carry. Amazing how much that little booger printed, and I strive for total concealment.

Great deal, man!

- OS

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
At least in TN, that's a VERY good price, as here $500 is pretty much the universal low for a new XDSC9, + tax/check, and with just factory sights.
Agreed, from WA. I bought an XD9sc recently and paid $470 plus tax/check, and I though that was a pretty good price -- with stock sights, of course.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats on the new XD! :) The gun shop/range where I'm taking my CCW class has a XD-9SC in bitone. It looks great, but I'll still probably end up with a Sig for my carry gun. Planning to keep my XD-9 Service tho.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Congrats on your new XD, its a great gun.

I purchased an XD .40 Subcompact about 4 years ago for the purpose of concealed carry. What I soon found out is that carrying even a subcompact iwb is unfomcortable, if you carry with a standard holster you have to always wear an extra layer of clothing to cover it, and it is still really uncomfortable in a car.

Basically I just stopped carrying. I then began to look for a truely small gun.

The first thing I decided is to get over the need to have a large caliber carry gun. having a .22 that I'm willing to carry all the time is better than having a .40 that I leave at home. Besides a .22 to the head or body is more hazardous to ones health than a .45 in the foot.

I also prefer a smaller cartridge in a smaller gun. This leaves recoil reasonable and multiple shot placement easier.

I first found the Beretta Tomcat but it seemed that alot of people have problems with this gun, one of which is the slide/and or frame cracking.

I then found the Seecamp LWS .32 and am very pleased with this weapon. go to the forums at Welcome to the L.W. Seecamp Company Home Page and you will find that the owners of these guns have a very tight community, and the company owner Larry Seecamp is directly involved with the community and delivers top notch service.

These handguns are essentially hand made. They are absolutely top quality super reliable. This gun is very small and easily concealable no matter what you're wearing. If your looking for a good carry gun, or a good backup check it out. Below is a photo of mine.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Gunnewb why did you post this here? Create your own thread ...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congrats on your new XD, its a great gun.

I purchased an XD .40 Subcompact about 4 years ago for the purpose of concealed carry. What I soon found out is that carrying even a subcompact iwb is unfomcortable, if you carry with a standard holster you have to always wear an extra layer of clothing to cover it, and it is still really uncomfortable in a car....
Have worn my XDSC9 daily since I bought it a month ago, worn this 12 hours today, have it on now sitting at puter, walked 4 miles (a daily thing, often more), against bare skin. No prob in car, can even draw it sitting down without undue contortion. I did put moleskin on back of it, but that's more for sweat than abrasion. I'd say you never found a decent holster. This is D.M. Bullard Dual Carry:

Note: I've taken Pearce extension off since this pic.

- OS

·
Registered
463 Posts
So I received my CCW last week and have been carrying my XD9 Service in a Don Hume 715 IWB since then. After carrying the service all week, I realized "Wow, this can get really uncomfortable at times". I have poured over reviews, specs, and such looking for a better carry option.
The above quote is why I put this here. Why would I start a new thread when I'm addressing what the original poster brought up.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's possible that I didn't find the right holster for me.

I did try two leather holsters, before I finally bought and kept a
"The Answer" holster.

I guess some are used to carrying a larger weapon, just built better for it, or found a better holster solution.

In any case I never found a comfortable way to carry a SC. Though I still love the gun. with night sites and the XML light I use it as my home defense weapon. I also plan to get an XDm 9 soon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like I did get a pretty good price. I was fairly sure that it was a good deal, and when I checked the online sites when I got home they kind of confirmed it.

Basically I just stopped carrying. I then began to look for a truely small gun.

The first thing I decided is to get over the need to have a large caliber carry gun. having a .22 that I'm willing to carry all the time is better than having a .40 that I leave at home. Besides a .22 to the head or body is more hazardous to ones health than a .45 in the foot.

I also prefer a smaller cartridge in a smaller gun. This leaves recoil reasonable and multiple shot placement easier.
Well there is the problem for me. I really prefer to stick to .380 at a minimum, and preferably 9mm. I mentioned that carrying the service wasn't THAT bad, and my tests with the 9sc in my current holster are promising. I do need to pick up a shorter holster, and I should be set.

I am considering a pocket gun as well. I had planned to also get a Ruger LCP at the show and then the recall came out so I decided to skip it. I think a small Beretta, Kel-Tec, NAA, Ruger, or something similar is in my future for times when IWB is impractical.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Supertuck is definitely on my list, though I am pretty enamored with the Don Hume that I have been carrying my service in. I just wish there was a way to try the Supertuck without ordering it first :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
It sounds like you found a good carry solution for your XD! Thats terrific.

Well there is the problem for me. I really prefer to stick to .380 at a minimum, and preferably 9mm. I mentioned that carrying the service wasn't THAT bad, and my tests with the 9sc in my current holster are promising. I do need to pick up a shorter holster, and I should be set.

I am considering a pocket gun as well. I had planned to also get a Ruger LCP at the show and then the recall came out so I decided to skip it. I think a small Beretta, Kel-Tec, NAA, Ruger, or something similar is in my future for times when IWB is impractical.
Seecamp does make a .380 that, externally, is the exact same size as the .32

If you are in the market for a small pocket gun I would highly recomend you check out the Seecamp line.

the following link is a great .pdf of most all the available pocket pistols with visuals that show size difference.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought my XD9sc with the intent to carry it, however, I found it a bit too bulky for me (using a Crossbreed Supertuck). I now carry a Kahr P9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Comfortable carry depends on multiple factors, not the least of which is what you are willing to wear. I could comfortably carry the XD9sc in the colder months, but not in the warmer months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts