Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked an ultrasonic cleaner after saying I was going to for months. I cleaned my BCG to see how it worked. Just using water with a little dish soap for now. The carrier had about 120 rounds since last cleaning and when I clean I'm really anal so it was spotless when I started.

This cleaner is awesome and saves me a ton of time.

on to the pics.

out of the gun

hosed it with powder blast then took it apart

Bolt face

after 480 second cycle. Still some carbon on the bolt behind the gas rings.

After a second 480s cycle

Cleaned bolt face

closer pic of the bolt. I scraped the rest of the carbon off in about 10 seconds.

You can see where chunks of carbon came off inside the bolt carrier too. No pics of that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also curious about the price. You should try some mineral spirits in the cleaner. It's reletively cheap, and I bet you wouldn't need any powder blast first.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than paying $70 for something you can do by hand for 10 cents worth of solvent? :p None that I know of.

I guess you have to weigh your time vs. money you want to spend to save it. I normally spend as long cleaning my BCG as my upper and lower combined so this will save me a lot of time. I clean my varmint gun every time I shoot it.

I put my watch in it before I tried anything else. That came out shiny. :cool:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Well, if you saw all of the automotive detailing tools and supplies I had you'd wonder why I don't have one of these already ... :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well, if you saw all of the automotive detailing tools and supplies I had you'd wonder why I don't have one of these already ... :D
I've got just the UC for you... its about 9 gallons.... getting rid of mine from a previous business. its great for cleaning everything that you can stick in the tank. :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've got just the UC for you... its about 9 gallons.... getting rid of mine from a previous business. its great for cleaning everything that you can stick in the tank. :)
Why don't you send me a PM? ;)

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Nice. I saw that in the Harbor Freight catalog and didn't know how big it was.

Could you take a picture of it with a ruler over top of it or something, so I can get a better idea?

·
Banned
3,651 Posts

Could you take a picture of it with a ruler over top of it or something, so I can get a better idea?
Yeah, I'd like to see another pic or two. Cool toy, would save a lot of time as I'm anal about getting a spotless firearm

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yeah, I have to run out but can take pics when I get home.

I can tell you I held my full size 1911 over it and it will not drop in whole, the sights keep it from fitting. If you take the slide off it fits no problem.

I'll post pics with a ruler later.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Wow, that's bigger than I thought.

Guess what just got added to my wishlist.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Damn, just ordered a holster five minutes ago....guess I'll get the credit card back out :mrgreen:

Wouldn't dumping in a big bottle of Hoppes #9 work really well in this? I dont know how comfortable I'd be with cleaning parts / barrels in water:confused:

Edit: order placed :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would use a cleaner made for these ultrasonic cleaners. you have to be careful about the viscosity of the liquid. too viscous and it wont cavitate so it wont work well.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Damn, just ordered a holster five minutes ago....guess I'll get the credit card back out :mrgreen:

Wouldn't dumping in a big bottle of Hoppes #9 work really well in this? I dont know how comfortable I'd be with cleaning parts / barrels in water:confused:

Edit: order placed :)
As long as they don't spend the night in the tank and get oiled afterward you should be ok....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts