Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a programmer by trade, and got a crazy idea this morning. I have been toying with the notion of Duracoating my guns in camouflage, and was visiting various web sites looking at the astounding array of colors available. Yeah, they have various patterns and color combinations, but I was looking for something that more closely matched my own geographic area. failing to find anything resembling "Texas hill country", I had a flash of an idea.

Why not create a program that lets the user take pictures of his surroundings, and then evaluates those pictures to find a set of matching Duracoat colors that would best suit a camo paint scheme for the area. Well, I've worked on it all day, and am pretty far along. Here's a screen shot:

The idea is to allow you to load a picture, determine a color section (from 1 to 16 matching Duracoat colors), create a random camo pattern (digital, woodland, tiger stripe), and then create an image of the selected weapon to overlay on the picture you loaded (hopefully to scale).

What do you guys think?

Oh yeah - it will be a completely free application.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think its a great idea

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Very cool idea!

About camo guns and knives, I would always be worried I would put it down or drop it and never find it again...

Is there a real duracoat camo project coming out of this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool idea!

About camo guns and knives, I would always be worried I would put it down or drop it and never find it again...

Is there a real duracoat camo project coming out of this?
I don't understand what you mean by a real project. If you mean to ask if I'm going to paint my guns based on the output from this app, then the answer is yes.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
thats pretty cool.

Takes any guess work out of getting it right. I painted a rifle about 10 years ago and had to buy a bunch of paint and to test runs on other materials and set them out then ask others what worked best. It took a loooooong time and that little rifle is still painted that that scheme.

This would have made it soooo much easier!

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by a real project. If you mean to ask if I'm going to paint my guns based on the output from this app, then the answer is yes.
So can you keep us posted and show us some pictures of weapons you have coated using this method?? It's a great idea...good luck;-)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
BAD A$$ idea! Could also work for color selection for ghillies and even hunting vehicles.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like it! Keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow. That is very creative man. Come out with a beta and let us test it for you and provide feedback.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
I like it. I was looking through the duracoat colors the other day, too many choices. And it is hard to tell what the colors would really look like just from pictures on a screen. This program could really help folks choose colors.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
delete your post, finish writing the program, copyright it, then sell it to duracoat for a small percentage of their profits.

Your program is a great idea and will help duracoat to sell more product.

IMO.
This. All day and twice on Sunday. Sell the app on itunes if duracoat doesn't bite.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
delete your post, finish writing the program, copyright it, then sell it to duracoat for a small percentage of their profits.

Your program is a great idea and will help duracoat to sell more product.

IMO.
This. All day and twice on Sunday. Sell the app on itunes if duracoat doesn't bite.
I gotta agree ... Request that the entire thread be deleted, do as suggested, then tell us how much Duracoat payed :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Make the camo pattern expandable to larger items if possible. Both an an extension of existing pattern (at same scale) and an enlargement of the pattern by changing the scale. (a 1/2 inch dot may work for a small firearm, but same pattern scaled for a 2 inch 'dot' for a larger item).
I am not that prone to coloring pistols, but might want to apply the technique to some other (larger) item. Initially geared to the Doracoat colors but maybe expandable to use any (say) 16 base colors. I may pay a couple bucks just to have it as a PC program, even with no current project.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts