Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is stupid but its been eating at me all week and I have to get it off my chest, I think its one of my new pet peeves. I was at Academy buying some PMAGS when I heard an employee tell a customer to purchase some Hoppe's No.9. The thing that made me itch all over was the way he pronounced it... Here it goes, Hoppy's! I know its small but it just ate at me. Ahhh that feels better to get that out. Its pronounced Hops! not Hoppies or Hoppy's. Its like sitting at a table with someone who has a popping jaw and is eating a tough steak! Thank you! lol

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
That's a strange thing to get twisted about... I've never heard it pronounced any way other than "hoppy's". And by people much older than you to boot who had been around shooting all their lives.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I always pronounced it HOPS

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I hate to break it to you haus but they were saying it correctly. Call their customer service number and listen. "Hopeez"

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always say hops too, I guess I was wrong then If the customer service says it, It just doesn't sound right, Hoppies? Everyone I know says Hops, it was the first time I had ever heard it pronounced that way... the guy on the customer service line is wrong! lol. Hoppys sounds silly though. I will stick with HOPS haha Oh and I didnt get twisted about it, just a pet peeve like I said. Like a popping jaw.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Mine doesn't.... Not fair!

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Academy has Pmags?
Yes they are only 15 bucks too. Only black and only the solid ones, no maglevels so far. Thats here in greenville SC though, might be different in other areas.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It has always been pronounced Hoppeez in their own adds. When it is talked about in a gun tv show it is always said that way as well. Growing up in the south we all used that pronunciation as well.

But say it any way you want. It doesn't change how well it works for most gun cleaning.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's Hoppies as far as I know.

Another gun-related one that I'm 100% on...bought me a le-oh-poled scope the other day...

..no you didn't. It's Lew-poled. Get it right or pay the price.
I say lew-poled as well, I have heard both ways. this is fun, whats another one? oooo Mosin-Nagant! I have heard Moisen Nagant, mosin Naghant, etc! Porsche, Porsha, Porsh! Regardless, There is no substitute... lol Sake, Sah-k, Socky

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I always thought it was pronounced "Hops" until a long time friend and gun enthusiast corrected me when he told me it was pronounced "Hoppeez".
Of course I didn't believe him and thought he may have been pulling my leg so I researched it on my own and I found out that it is pronounced "Hoppeez"....I agree with XDMulisha in that it just sounds silly pronounced that way....

who woulda thunk it? LOL :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
Kind of like Redskins' QB Joe Theismann's pronounciation of his last name. He said his family always said "Thees man" but the press changed it to "Thighs man" to rhyme with Heismann. He won the trophy before he went to play in Canada before the Redskins picked him up.

Many names are given differing pronounciations due to National origin, local custom or plain ignorance of origins of the roots.

Is Hough , "How" or "Huff"? Both variations are used.;)

Worst case I've heard, I knew a woman named Deborah who affected a phoney pronounciation of, "De-BORE-ah" , emphasis on the BORE syllable. Total snob without any justification.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts