Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new XDs9 a while back and was tickled to get it. After putting a couple hundred rounds through it my Ruger LC9s is going to be my carry pistol. The Ruger has a much better trigger is more accurate and seems to have less recoil. I really liked the looks and feel of the XD but have to go with my Ruger. I'm going to see if there are any excellent gunsmiths in my area to maybe improve the trigger. I bought Talon grips for the XD and am willing to spend a little hoping to improve the XD

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
+1 to the PRP spring (or spring + sear) kit.

I have to say, the LC9s does have a sweet trigger right out of the box - and the XDs can be just as good, if not better, with the PRP kit and a little polishing. But as far as accuracy goes I have to say there isn't a noticeable difference between them that I can tell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter. It takes time to get use to the xds small size, with proper gripping and trigger pull you can be very accurate. I have larger hands but with time i have made drastic improvements in my grouping. Here is some of my targets at 20-25 feet. The red target was shot at a slow speed going for accuracy, the yellow was done at a faster pace about a second between shots.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW I'm impressed. What I said was I shot my LC9s more accurate than the XD. I'm 75 and have been shooting since I was a small boy. At 7 yds there wouldn't be much difference but I tested accuracy at 25 yds to decide which was more accurate for me. Just because its that way for me don't make that way for everybody.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW I'm impressed. What I said was I shot my LC9s more accurate than the XD. I'm 75 and have been shooting since I was a small boy. At 7 yds there wouldn't be much difference but I tested accuracy at 25 yds to decide which was more accurate for me. Just because its that way for me don't make that way for everybody.
My mistake i thought it wa
I am a little confused ...So your unhappy with your new XDS? But you are talking about shooting an XD not the XDS?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
you like the lc9 trigger better? the trigger pull on the lc9 was what convinced me into an xds haha. i hated the long heavy pull.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
correction XDS and its a LC9s not LC9 :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
The Ruger has a much better trigger is more accurate and seems to have less recoil.
You may shoot the LC9s more accurately, but that does not mean it is inherently more accurate. As for recoil, the LC9s is considerably lighter weight, and therefore many people, including myself, perceive the recoil to be greater.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
you like the lc9 trigger better? the trigger pull on the lc9 was what convinced me into an xds haha. i hated the long heavy pull.
The old LC9 had a shrouded hammer to strike the firing pin, and yeah, very long, heavy, often gritty pull. The new LC9s - s for striker fired - is a very well done striker fired mechanism. Shorter pull, lighter, crisper. Ruger learned that lesson well, I have to say.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Why are you concerned about a 25 yard shot with a carry gun, if you are shooting at 25 yards i dont see that being for self defense.
I don't agree with that. Whether it's 2 yards or 25,I want to be prepared and able to defend myself. He's 75. Running may not be an option. If someone fires at you from 25 yards,it's still self defense to me.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why are you concerned about a 25 yard shot with a carry gun, if you are shooting at 25 yards i dont see that being for self defense.
Why are you concerned about it at all. Yep running away isn't a option. I enjoy shooting and worked up loads for handguns at 25 yds error will show up a lot more at 25 yds than 7 yds. If you want to shoot at 7 yds great I like to shoot at longer distances. If I can do well at 25 yds you bet 7 yds will be a breeze. I will hunt rabbits with my 9 this winter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well if a guy is coming at you shooting from 25 yards then sure. Now if the guy is running away and you shoot him at 25 yards good luck in court.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if a guy is coming at you shooting from 25 yards then sure. Now if the guy is running away and you shoot him at 25 yards good luck in court.
Hand guns have other uses other than shooting people. I have hunted and harvested PD, speed goats, wild hogs, rabbits and last deer with a pistol.. I use a hand gun as a tool. I do a lot of target shooting and enjoy it. I'm not a want a be SWAT and sure don't want to use it on a human but if necessary I have the skill and will protect myself and family

Reactions: FearNot

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I sense an e-attitude. If you like your LC9s more, shoot it better, so be it. Good for you, sell the XDs. Problem solved.

Reactions: tndavisusa

·
Registered
257 Posts
Admittedly, i hated the stock trigger out of the box, dry firing helped smooth it out a lot, but it was very far from good.
but as a carry piece, 6 rounds downrange in a hurry with combat accuracy its fine,
Since I fire it at the range much more often than at people, I put in the PRP kit

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Admittedly, i hated the stock trigger out of the box, dry firing helped smooth it out a lot, but it was very far from good.
but as a carry piece, 6 rounds downrange in a hurry with combat accuracy its fine,
Since I fire it at the range much more often than at people, I put in the PRP kit
I agree with you and will buy the PRP kit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hand guns have other uses other than shooting people. I have hunted and harvested PD, speed goats, wild hogs, rabbits and last deer with a pistol.. I use a hand gun as a tool. I do a lot of target shooting and enjoy it. I'm not a want a be SWAT and sure don't want to use it on a human but if necessary I have the skill and will protect myself and family
I understand that, but you started this thread talking about this gun for carry purposes not as a tool or for hunting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't think carry is a tool. Enough of this You are the best smartest. End of thread.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts