Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my Streamlight Protac 2L. Really great flashlight. It takes Cr123 batteries. I highly recommend this flashlight for reliability/ size, and controls. I have a streamlight stinger and the front of it got ran over by the steer tire of a semi truck still works, and have purchased in a total of 5 stylus pro flashlights aaa.

I have had nothing but good things with the streamlights. The stylus was my carry flashlight but its not quite bright enough. Its perfect to carry in my pocket and use for checking out vehicles in the dark, working on things, woods walks, finding things etc etc. So I will continue using my styus pro for everything else and my protac 2 L will be used mostly for my firearm.

The Protac2L even in lowest setting is crazy bright when used in a completely dark home. I really like it. My intentions were to get a charger and rechargable 123 batteries for it. Streamlight warns against not using rechargable batteries. Why is this? I read a guy on here has done it for two years and no issues

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
wait...they warn against using them...or against not using them? these are two very different things...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They warn against using non name brand 123 batteries and warn against using rechargeable 123 batteries. I have no idea why not on using rechargeable batteries in this flashlight.

I think they recommend lithium batteries too but would have to look.

I was just curious why they say against using rechargeables in this light

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I did not know about the warning not to use rechargeable batteries and have used the Tenergy ones I linked in the other thread for nearly two years and have not had any trouble. Before that I only used Streamlight batteries. Although at $4.50 for 2 I figure I paid for the rechargeable batteries in about 2 months.

My Protac 2L is the 180 lumen model, not the new 260 one. That might be the difference

·
Registered
17,817 Posts
If it uses stacked CR123 output voltage is close to 6VDC, if you use stacked Li Ion batteries at max full charge you get 4.2vdc, so if you used 16340's and stacked them you would have closer to 8~VDC, which could be too high for the electronics of the flashlight driver

You could possibly use RCR123's but you have to have a special charger for them
Remember you can't drain these batteries too low or it ruins them..unlike CR123's where you use them up and then throw them away anyway

I think RCR123A's have protection circuits in them...but it adds 2-3mm per battery and they might not fit in the battery tube then...

still...I think the voltage could be too high
Peak voltage of 3.0V Li-Ion will be 3.60V after fully charged.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2144260_-1
30200 Rechargeable LIFEPO4 RCR123A 3.0V Tenergy Corporation

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I buy Surefire CR123s in 20-packs...have yet to use an entire package in my Polytac and have 2 boxes of extras; supposedly have a 10-year shelf life...seems like a no-brainer to me

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
diesel lover -

In addition to the issues that AwPhuch wrote of above, here's a practical consideration:

With rechageables (particularly RCR123As), it's very possible that you'll get absolutely no warning before your light simply shuts-down, whereas even on very well-regulated lights, using primary CR123 cells, you'll usually notice dimming.

If you use the light a lot, and you know you'll recharge frequently and regularly, this should not be a big deal.

However, if you don't have the discipline to recharge - particularly if this light is your primary light and you intend for it to fill an "emergency" role - using rechargeables may not be ideal.

Finally, it's also possible that the voltage concerns, even if they do not damage the light, can play funny things with the light's various output modes.

I favor using primary cells in my EDC "emergency" light as well as in the "emergency-use" lights stored in my home as well as vehicles. However, for my most frequently used utility lights, I'm all about rechargeables. When you like going for walks/jogs with your dog as much as I do, well, the budget actually takes a hit from such persistent use (and you've gotta frame this in the context of me being both a flashaholic as well as someone who actually takes low/no-light classes...I regularly buy CR123A primaries in-bulk).

With my Nitecore EC20 on RCR123As, I don't get a consistent read on the voltage from the battery-use indicator. Also on that light, when the input voltage drops below indicated 6V using RCR123As (but not primaries), the brightest modes (including strobe) are deactivated. With my two cheap "Frankenlights" (Surefire bodies, with their old incandescent assemblies switched to a SSC Z7 3-Mode and a Cree XM-L T6 3-Mode drop-ins), using RCR123As means that I cannot access the high or strobe modes UNTIL the voltage drops sufficiently for the circuitry to allow it.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
^ Battery Junction always has decent prices on CR123A primaries. They'll do sales every few months, too, but I usually just buy from them as side-items added into the online shopping cart. :) It's like going to WalMart and always walking away with a couple of boxes of ammo. :)

Otherwise, just keep abreast of the bigger online discounters. Places like Botach will have bulk sales on the cells at least once a year. That's usually when I stock up.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If it uses more than 1 CR123 and you have not read up on the potential hazards of tandem 123's.. you may want to read about it if this is a flashlight you keep in the home.

·
Registered
551 Posts
diesel lover -

With rechageables (particularly RCR123As), it's very possible that you'll get absolutely no warning before your light simply shuts-down, whereas even on very well-regulated lights, using primary CR123 cells, you'll usually notice dimming.
I've noticed this with my Jetbeam RRT01. Use it and it's nice and bright. Go to use it the next day and it's dead. Not an issue because of where I'm using it, but it would be an issue if it were in a go bag or tool box.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I have other flashlights to use for other things. I have been carrying my streamlight stylus pro for everything else. It's plenty bright for a lot of things.

I do like my streamlight stinger which I can charge off a cigar lighter in my truck. I may buy the new USB streamlight due to the fact it's rechargeable.

This protac 2L is pretty neat. When I put it on low and put it side to side with my aaa styus they are very close to the same brightness even though the protac on low is only 13 lumes. But the protac last for 50 hours on low

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
^^^almost a candidate for a Darwin award...^^^

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Tread depth as well.

Legal for front: not less than 4/32" depth. Rear: 2/32".

·
Premium Member
128,291 Posts
The front two are steer tires.
On a big truck, the tires on the front are different than the rear ones.

And are quite expensive also, compared to the rear ones where you can put retreads if you choose.
Thanks for the explanation. I was over thinking it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts