Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about hunting wild boars. My friend was saying that it would be insane to bring anything less than a .45 for a sidearm while hunting wild boars. I was saying that a .40 would do some good damage if a close encounter would ever happen. Does anyone here have wild boar hunting experience to inform me about this?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I would say bring whatever you have thats the biggest. A HOT loaded .40 would be better than nothing, after all, its going to be a backup right? I would opt for FMJ to get good penetration.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its just a sidearm incase its close range or something happens. I don't know why my friend thinks that any gun won't help stop a boar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
These guys don't know what there talkin about. Here in Texas we have to use a .50 BMG. Here's what we have to kill

This sucker took 5 rounds of .50 at 100 yards and I still had to pull out the M4 full auto to finish it off.

Just kidding!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A .40 should be fine.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
This sucker took 5 rounds of .50 at 100 yards and I still had to pull out the M4 full auto to finish it off.
hahaha what happens when a mall ninja goes hunting!

Just kidding!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A .40 should be fine.[/quote]

·
Registered
268 Posts
look at the balls on that boar. also look at the boar. its a small one compared to what we have here in Minnesota. the winters thin out the cripples like this one. also we use axes to hunt them up here. we do carry a backup weapon. my favorite is a kbar knife. not a bad pig though. its rare to see a yearling that large.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As a backup, it's better than nothing, but I'll second the recommendation that you should probably be looking at taking a minimum of a .45 Long Colt with you. You can pick those up pretty cheap lately.

.40 isn't bad, but it's a human-stopper. Boars are the kind of animal that you need to remind several times that you've killed them, and even if you plant a full clip in it, it may still kill you before it realizes it's dead.

Just choose with this rule in mind: the animal must never get close enough to land a hit on you.

If you think you can follow that rule with a .40, rock on ).

T

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've killed several wild hogs and I always had my 1911 on my hip. Never had to use it but it was there if I needed it. When I go pig hunting again it will still be there rather than my .40. Hogs can be a bit hard to bring down and they tend to get a little pissed when you shoot them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I was a kid, I used to watch my farmer-neighbor butcher his livestock,.......oinker's, and moo-moo's

He would call the hogs to the fence with a "Pig!-Pig!" and the unsuspecting critters would get a .22 ruger rifle shot to the head.

I once saw him pop one between the eye's, and the darn thing took to tumblin down the hill,....and nearly broke his 30 yr.old son's leg just from thrash'n around.

I agree,.......a dead pig is dangerous too! :shock:

·
Registered
70 Posts
With the right ammo... I would think you would want something on the heavy side, say 180 gr and something tough. I think you can get Golden Sabers that are bonded, XTP's are really a hunting bullet anyway.

A real pig stopper would be the 10 mm!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have carried the following pistols (as back-ups) while hog hunting here in Texas...

1911 45acp
S&W Model 19 357 Magnum
Colt Single Action Army in 44 Special

All put down smaller pigs (under 175 pounds) pretty damn well. The 1911 was loaded with 230gr Hydra Shoks, the 357 with 158gr soft points and the 44Spl with 200gr Silvertips.

I'd have no qualms about packing my XD-40 on a hog hunt. The reason I took the others is because I did not own the XD-40 back then.

That said, these were BACKUP guns that I wound up shooting the pigs with...NOT main hog hunting guns. I still think a rifle is your best bet, for a primary hog getter.

What do I use? I have a sporterized 8mm Mauser and Marlin 45-70 lever action for hog hunting. Both work very well for dropping hogs.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took my first wild hog with a 50AE. It was on the small side and the hog still was able to bite my guides foot when he was gutting him before we drug him out of the woods. A 40 is better than nothing, but be sure the rifle takes care of the situation on the first shot and you will not have to worry.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Something like this Wildey .475 Magnum would probably be adequate.

I carry mine "Mexican" but think I may get a Clipdraw for it, since it slipped out out of my waistband when I was showing off some moves on the dance floor Saturday night. The Clipdraw should secure the thing a little better (I'm hoping).

I don't think anyone noticed, but I was still a bit self conscious....

I'm just glad the drop safety worked.

Peace,
D.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts