Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful afternoon here in Nashville today. Went to the outdoor range and had a good session. A new guy joined me that I hadn't met before and was shooting a 9mm Glock (Model 19 I think, they all look alike to me) from about 25 feet. He asked about my XD's, the 40 Service and 9 Sub. Said he had heard good things about them but hadn't shot one yet. I offered him his choice. He picked the 9 since was shooting that ammo. He took the same position he had before, fired 10 rounds, turned around with this sheepish grin on his face and said, "I gotta put this down, I shoot it better than my Glock." Then I had the sheepish grin.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Funny, I did the same thing to a guy shooting a 92 Beretta...but it was with my Hi-Power. One magful and he tried to trade me then he tried to buy it off me and left later on , swearing he was going to trade his 92F for a Hi-Power.

Thats usually what it takes...one magful and people see the light!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Same thing happened when i shot my friends HK USP .45 too bad i dont have the 900 dollars to dish out, id rather buy 2 more XD's with that chunk of change.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yup! XD, it's better then a BLOCK.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
Funny, I did the same thing to a guy shooting a 92 Beretta...but it was with my Hi-Power. One magful and he tried to trade me then he tried to buy it off me and left later on , swearing he was going to trade his 92F for a Hi-Power.

-Brickboy240
I certainly have not shot every 9mm gun out there. I've shot a whole lot of them and barely scratched the surface. I couldn't even name most.....it is far and away the most popular and widely owned center-fire caliber. .

But I'll stick my head out and say that the Hi-Power is the most accurate of them all (out of the box and with a "normal" carry length barrel). The genius of Browning is just so evident in that gun. The ergonomics, the mechanics, even the aesthetics. Is there a nicer looking semi-automatic handgun? (maybe a tie with the 1911...also a Browning design).

How come I don't own one??? I need to do something about this sad and pathetic and miserable situation sometime soon. It's really too bad that there are so many expenses in life that are not avoidable.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
manygunner said:
Yup! XD, it's better then a BLOCK.
XDs are different from Glocks, and some people shoot them better. But, I have several examples from each manufacturer, and I am not confident at all that one make is "better" than the other, simply as a piece of equipment.

On the other hand, an all steel 1911...
:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
HTOWN stunna said:
Same thing happened when i shot my friends HK USP .45 too bad i dont have the 900 dollars to dish out, id rather buy 2 more XD's with that chunk of change.
I love the USP too. I always wanted one but when it came down to getting one, I would just look at the price and think of all the other guns I could buy for way less. I recently got a fullsize USP .45 and it's great. I was able to trade a Glock 23 I had plus $40 for it. Both it and my Glock were used, and I was satisfied with the deal since I'd wanted one for so long. I've recently seen them on gunbroker.com for $679 brand new with two 12rd mags though. But you have to factor in the shipping and transfer charges if you go that route.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Delija said:
Brickboy240 said:

-Brickboy240
I certainly have not shot every 9mm gun out there. I've shot a whole lot of them and barely scratched the surface. I couldn't even name most.....it is far and away the most popular and widely owned center-fire caliber. .

But I'll stick my head out and say that the Hi-Power is the most accurate of them all (out of the box and with a "normal" carry length barrel). The genius of Browning is just so evident in that gun. The ergonomics, the mechanics, even the aesthetics. Is there a nicer looking semi-automatic handgun? (maybe a tie with the 1911...also a Browning design).

How come I don't own one??? I need to do something about this sad and pathetic and miserable situation sometime soon. It's really too bad that there are so many expenses in life that are not avoidable.

Peace,
D.
Delija, try a CZ-75. You will never want to shoot a Browning Hi-Power again. better ergonomics and at least as accurate if not better. It is for me anyway. I have shot both and the one gun that consistently stayed in my collection is a CZ-75.

BTW, my "Block" post earlier was meant to be humorous, although I do prefer a XD. The Glock grip just feels ...blocky. Too square to feel right. Also with my large hands I keep getting my hand cut by the slide cycling over it with a Glock, the XD has enough room between the grip and the slide to prevent that.

I have also converted people to XD and also to CZ at my range. One gentleman in federal service was so stunned with the XD he wanted to know why they issue those POS Beretta M-9s. I just let him try a couple of magazines and he was convinced as was his buddy. Maybe I can get this gun adopted by tthe US military yet. :D

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
manygunner said:
[Delija, try a CZ-75. You will never want to shoot a Browning Hi-Power again. better ergonomics and at least as accurate if not better. It is for me anyway. I have shot both and the one gun that consistently stayed in my collection is a CZ-75.
LOL...Manygunner, it was money in the bank that you were going to make this post..... :lol: :lol:

You have me convinced...have for a long time.

I was at a gun show last Sunday and at one display I actually got to hold a Browning HP and a CZ side by side. I don't know the CZ models. I did not know exactly what to look for. The CZ and the Browning seemed quite similar.

When I buy my next gun...which will be a metal 9mm pistol or a .357 magnum revolver (I never had one), I will give the CZ a lot of consideration. In good part due to your many endorsements (I respect your opinion greatly)..and it is very apparent the CZs have quite a large and loyal following. Certainly the Brownings, as much as I like them do seem very steeply priced...especially for the all Belgian guns. Whereas the CZs seem like a lot of gun for the money.

Too bad that at the gun shows you generally can't even pull the triggers (let alone test fire the guns). So I need to keep an eye out at my local gun dealers and pawn shops for the right CZs and Hi-Powers. It's amazing how if I express interest in a gun how quickly one will appear. (I do know that the local gun shop here in town is part of a "co-op" so it is not really all that surprising).

Too bad I'm not getting a tax refund like everyone else seems to get. Somehow I always end up owing money :( But I don't really feel that bad about it...it just means I have not lent the IRS money at no interest during the year.

BTW, have you decided how to spend your tax refund that was "burning a hole" in your pocket?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Delija said:
manygunner said:
[
It's amazing how if I express interest in a gun how quickly one will appear. (I do know that the local gun shop here in town is part of a "co-op" so it is not really all that surprising).
Peace,
D.
Funny you mention that. I told me local dealer that I was interested in a XD-SC. Next time I'm there he happens to have a XD-SC that he needs to get rid of and is willing to sell it to me for his dealer wholesale price becuae he's stuck with it.

I took it as a sign that I needed to buy that XD and give it a good home so I did exactly that.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I bought my Beretta 92f from my dept. when I retired because I liked the gun after 13yrs of shooting it and it was only $300. The gun is accurate, reliable and has never had a fte or ftf.

I'm not knocking any of the other guns. I don't even have any experience with a CZ or HP. I just wanted to mention my Beretta as someone brought it up in comparision to a HP.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Delija said:
I think if I were to rank 9mm pistols, I would have to disagree.

I think for accuracy a Sig P210 would be tops.

As far as my "most desirable" 9mm Pistol. An H&K P7M13.

-Dana

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I had a weird situation with a LEO the other night at work that would go with another glock story.
I had my truck sittin in the bays at work, and a city po-po pulled up and wanted a car wash.(i work at a semi truck wash)
I haven't seen this guy in quite awhile, usually he just does lot checks and keeps on drivin. He must've been extremely bored at 3am.
So I start workin on his car, and was makin small talk ya know...and he's like 'is this your truck'..."yep that's my truck"....he asked what year it was how many miles on it etc.
I had my XD-9 stuffed up under the center console thingy in the middle of the seat. He must've seen the mag stickin out. "Whatcha packin??" :D
When I got finished I was like "wanna see it?" So I pulled it out after I dried my hands and all he saw was the handle stickin outta the holster "Ahh ya got ya a Glock did ya" :lol:
I took it out and dropped the mag, and popped out the round in the throat.
Then I handed it to him.... :shock: is all he did. He said he'd never seen one up close...only in magazines. So he proceeded in checkin er out ya know....pulled the slide back and let the new guide rod/spring combo do it's thing..."slap" ...another :shock:
So I showed him what it felt like with a full magazine, and had him grip it like he normally would to shoot...yet another one of these :shock: He couldnt believe how balanced the thing was he said. I showed him how to take it apart..... :shock: of course haha 8)
I put it away and we got to talkin bout guns and stuff...he was like "check this out" and pulled out his Sig.... :shock: from me this time. I've never seen a SIG up close before. So of course he showed his off to me.
That makes twice I've had a uniformed on duty officer hand me a loaded weapon to check out. Teh last time it was a Trooper and his new Kel-Tec with it's new belt clip.
Sorry for the book...i just really like them stories!
I'm hopin the Indiana State Police's swat shows up and lets me see their MP5's

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
So he proceeded in checkin er out ya know....pulled the slide back and let the new guide rod/spring combo do it's thing..."slap" ...another :shock:
I just wanted to read that again! :wink:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yeah they get em for free....I did tell em if I ever got a ticket from one of em no more freebies!
I wash semi's all day...so a squad car is a break...a big 5minutes front to end
The cop said he carried a baby Glock in the car for a backup weapon....I didn't ask to see it lol
BTW I always show the Don's upgrade every time I show.....the tight snap in a carry sidearm is a must have. Worth braggin about. Nuf said.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
I.
That makes twice I've had a uniformed on duty officer hand me a loaded weapon to check out.

I'm hopin the Indiana State Police's swat shows up and lets me see their MP5's
I gotta admit I am pretty :shock: :shock:-- that any on duty cop would hand anyone their piece. And TWICE? Two different cops???

OEFM must have it right...free car washes, minimum...what else you giving away? Are you a hot looking female by any chance?

I was shooting next to three guys that had chipped in and rented an MP5 yesterday. They were taking turns with it....shooting silhouette targets at about 20 feet. Looked like fun. As much noise as they put out, it was like being in a library compared to the usual .44 mags and .50 S&Ws and DEs I normally seem to be blessed with as next lane neighbors when I'm shooting my .22 LOL...

Damn those things go through a lot of ammo quick!!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just givin out car washes. I take care of their rides for em, and they appreciate that. Espcially since the state dudes just got new ones.
Yes by two different cops...one was a city po-po and the other was a State Trooper. I asked one what type of ammo they used....instead of tellin me he just pulls out a mag and showed me....Gold Dots. I've gotten pretty close to the ones based out of the local post. They come in just about everyday now. Sometimes several of at a time. Makes for kinda cool looks from customers when there's a slew of squad cars rollin out of the bays. Plus it might come in handy if we ever need em.
One time we even got to check out the state's Camaro interceptors when they were doin traffic in our county. Man those things are bad to the bone! Corvette motors, interceptor tranny, posi rear ends, 5 point harness seatbelts. Pretty much a race car with strobes in it.
Those guys are wild lemme tell ya. Thats all they do...traffic. They don't answer any calls that the other guys get. They get their training at the Indianapolis 500 track even! Course they're 180mph+ cars.
Even got to see one get it sideways out of the parkin lot cuz we was teasin the guy "Come on dude...all we've got to see is a Crown Vic burnin" The dude was like "I'll show ya a F-in burnout" :lol:
They're new F550 bomb squad truck is hella coo too.
Sorry for the book again...I like them stories. :wink:
They all carry Glocks as backups but are issued Beretta .40's.....I think I got at least one of em wantin to try an XD. I might get ahold of the guy that's "stationed" in my county....the local range is like 5 min away fromt he Sheriff's office. I'll stop by if I see him outside or somethin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts