Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to reloading but have been reading up with several manuals and books for the last 4 months or so as well as trolling here and there. anyways heres a pic of my setup:

My regret right now is not having a better workbench. this one shakes a little. I have been taking it slow and have made about 100 bullets so far at the minimum and midranges. anyways what a great hobby, and im glad i started with the 650! as long as you take it slow and learn how it all works its easy to spot problems and correct them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club--reloading gets almost as addictive as shooting! Sounds like you are heading down a good path, but you definately need a rock solid bench.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your very first reloading machine is a 650?!?

Damn, you lead a charmed life.

Well in considering all the options and what i wanted to do, i didnt want to have to fuss with manually indexing, or adding shells. So i saved my pennys and got what i wanted. and convinced all my friends to buy me accessories for christmas so i could "share the wealth";)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Welcome to the relaoding fraternity. Now you'll need a bit more bench to get the most out of the press. For now, you can pile boxes of bullets on the bottom to add some balast.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'm sure the Dillon will serve you well! Looks like you have a decent supply of brass to get you started.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i have been having a lot of fun. Im lucky to have a cop rangemaster to give me all their once fired brass from their range. im hoping for some .223 brass now!

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Congratulations! I love my 550.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I'm betting he'll get the ca$e feeder as soon as he can. I'd encourage the OP to use Lee dies (except for the powder die) and to use the excellent RCBS Lockout Die, instead of Dillon's battery-powered buzzer powder warning system.

Also, be sure and check the charts provided by Dillon when changing calibers. Frequently, you don't need to order complete caliber kits; just the parts that are not common to the calibers in question.

If you can find a Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime, buy it. Take off the cheesy plastic bayonet connnectors and just hold that end of the tube up into the device. Loads a primer tube in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the tips guys! i got to sit down and make 280 9mm's yesterday and it was a lot of fun! I tested 12 of them and they seemed to work, but havent target shot yet. I definetly want the casefeeder now, and i want a media seperator after having run the tumbler a few times.... now im out of actual bullets but have a ton more shells primers and powder. what is this RCBS lockout die? ill look into it

·
Registered
435 Posts
welcome to the cub, after you buy the casefeeder you will wonder how you ever lived without it. Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Drink the Koolaid and enjoy, I love my 550

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually have an off-topic question....

How do you like the Mr. Heater Portable Tough Buddy? I'm thinking of getting one for my garage. I know it doesn't crank out heat, I'm just looking for something to take the chill off.
I just have the little mr heater single burner.. i got a hose for it and hooked it up to my bbq propane tank cuz the little ones last 3-4 hours on high. anyways it works ok but supposedly they all have a problem with the thermocouple going bad, then it costs almost the price of a new mr heater to send it in to get fixed. I pulled the heater apart and unsecured the thermocouple so it would sit more in the pilot flame, and that seems to keep it working. before the pilot would not stay lit after about a few months of problem free use. they have some mr heaters that just attach directly to the propane tank and those are good.

I did have some excitement the other day when an unused primer went down the primer chute and bounced out and landed in the heater. scared the **** out of me!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
The Lockout Die would be mounted right after the powder drop. If your load is either too light or too heavy, the die will lock the press up, making you check the case for proper charge before proceeding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats man, I get a 650 in Nov. and love it.:D One thing you mite want to do is take off the used primer catch and take a .45 casing and cut the end off with a dremel, make small cuts in the thin end of the casing, bend them out at a 90 and put it between the catch holder and the part the holder is mount to, connect a plastic tube to the casing and run the tubing down to a plastic jug to catch the old primers. Works great and you don't have keep emptying it:) You may have to get a Strong Mount for your machine though. Check the Dillon site.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts