Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Sorry about the site being hacked... hope he gets found before he does it to someone else (I wonder if there aren't other sites that have been hacked recently with a similer 'calling card').

I've been browsing here for the last few weeks, looking to buy an XD soon. I'm not new to guns in general (shot rifles and shotguns for years), but to handguns I'm practically a babe. Only fired them on occassion, my first trip to an indoor range was a few weekends ago (living in the country makes for a much cheaper range, methinks)... handled and shot the XD, handled a Glock and an S&W revolver. Definitely going with the XD... feels best in my hands.

A few questions that will definitely single me out as in the novice catagory:

1. Hi-cap mags for 9mm. Are the factory 15-round OEM hi-caps the same size as the 10-round mags (i.e. do the mags sit flush at the bottom of the grip?).

2. Stainless bi-tone versus the all black/blued slide: reading posts and talking to people, it sounds like the black/blued slide has the occassional/regular problem of rust (hey, it's a gun!) without continuous care. Are these problems confined to the black/blued slide, or are they found on the stainless slide as well?

My assumption is that 'stainless' is misnomer due to the fact that many stainless metals are high-carbon in construction to keep the durability/strength of the metal high.

3. I first shot plinking ammunition and then some gold dot 124 grain +p ammo (was surprised the range let me shoot the +p ammo on their rental). Has anyone shot any of the heavier rounds (like 135 or 147 gr.) and noticed any discernable difference in recoil?

And and all help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
141 Posts
1 yes
2 cant say i have the black/blue likes to rust now and then but the two tone dont know ..

there is some more recoil to a 147 over a 115 havent shot any+p's but in a 3 inch i carry i dont find it that bad

·
Registered
15 Posts
10 & 15 round mags all fit equally flush

have a black sub-compact / no rust

have a 4" bi-tone no rust on the stainless

both are exceptional shooters.......... digest everything

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I"m a noob here also but I think I can help you out on some you're questions.

1. Hi-cap mags for 9mm. Are the factory 15-round OEM hi-caps the same size as the 10-round mags (i.e. do the mags sit flush at the bottom of the grip?).

Yes all facotry "normal capacity" mags will fit flush. I've also heard that the normal cap mags from a 40 cal XD fill fit 16 or 17 9mm rounds. Being that I'm in the Peoples Rupubic of Kalifornia, I'll never see them myslef but I"m sure some one else here can confirm or deny that.

2. Stainless bi-tone versus the all black/blued slide: reading posts and talking to people, it sounds like the black/blued slide has the occassional/regular problem of rust (hey, it's a gun!) without continuous care. Are these problems confined to the black/blued slide, or are they found on the stainless slide as well?

I've owned a bi-tone XD-9 for 4 months and I've only had a few specs of rust on the top of the slide. So I guess it can happen. I'm not really sure but I've heard it's not really stainless steel.

As for your third question I use Winchest White Box for the range and the sam Speer Goldots you used for home defense so I can't comment on heavier loads. I have been meaning to by a few boxes of heavier Federal ammo but haven't got around to it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have mine loaded with 180-gr Hydrashoks. Just cuz I figure'd they'd make a really big hole :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
stainless anything will rust from time to time. no where near as bad as normal steel. just remember it is stainless, not rustless. ;-) I have a xd bi tone and had a little spec of rust here and there, nothing serious. i took some flitz to it and it came right off. i now wipe it down with the silicon cloth. since i am paranoid and want the coating anyhow, i sent it to get an NP3 bath. some have hard chromed their guns.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 4" bi-tone 40 and have seen no rust of any kind yet (it is however new to me) If you just throw some armadillo on it from time to time and buy yourself a silicon cloth for more regular use I sincerely doubt you will ever have a problem.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
DO A SEARCH!!!!! :twisted:

Oh wait... hehe :oops:

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are in a horribly humid/salty environment, perhaps I would give the stainless a go to be safe. I read all the reports, and worried after I bought the black XD...

and one year later, everything is perfectly fine, no unwanted oxidation. I am not fully crediting Eezox (I just avoided bad luck) but I do use it for my little security blanket. I have a hunch the majority share my experience, but there have been enough cases of XD's getting rust that it cannot be dismissed or ignored. Internet amplification just makes it sound like a widespread plague. With care, most are fine. Let your environment and habits decide. Good luck, and post back to let us know what you do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts