Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I must admit I know little about AK's, but I am in the market for my first. The other day while browsing a local sporting goods store, they had the GP WASR 10/63 imported by Century Arms. It was the last on on hand, so I impulsively put it on layway after talking to a friend who knows more about them than do I. The on-sale price is $500. Is this a good deal? It looks like they are going for considerably more than that on Gun Broker. This particular variant comes with the Tapco trigger, pistol grip, and folding buttstock.

Second, what is the difference in quality and reliability of the WASR 10/63 compared to other WASR variants as well as other AK variants? Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'll just say that in this market a wasr for $500 is a good deal. On a local ad today a guy had a single stack, low cap wasr for $425. I wish I had the money, I'd buy it and convert it. But I'm broke as all get out. So I'm relegated to only wishing. :mad: The wasr is not the best AK, But it will always go bang!

BK

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
My first bit of advice? Get a single stack WASR. To start, if you don't HAVE to have a high cap AK, it's plenty reliable as it is, is fun to shoot, and is pretty cheap. Should be around $300, although Obama seems to have f*cked up prices as of late (thanks!:rolleyes:). Plus, if you do want a double stack mag capability, it's better to do it yourself or have it done. I think I paid someone $60 to open up the magwell on my WASR, plus do a couple other small jobs on another gun. It ended up being a better job then what the monkeys at Century wold've done.

If you want double stack right out of the box $500 is about the least you'll pay. All in all I'd rather have a SAR-1, not much more expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same store ran a special on the low-cap 10-rd WASR for $300. They received a shipment of 300 units, pre-sold 200, and after the rest were gone had 300 rain checks. The only issue with getting a cheaper low-cap variant is that there aren't available around here. If I go through Gun Broker (which you won't find any under $600 at this point), or any other mail-order method, I'll have at least another $50-$75 in transfer fees & shipping. I can hoof the bill on a $500 AK, but before I do I want to make sure it's worth the $. The nice thing about the store is they have a 30 day layaway process that is 100% refundable, if I change my mind. I already have 1 AR and a spare lower receiver to build another in the future. I've heard good things about AK's and SKS's, hence the reason I'm in the market for one.

On that same issue, would an SKS be a better buy? I would want to convert it to use AK mags, but I'm not digging the longer barrel. At least I have a while to think about my decision.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'd wait and find a SAR-1 or better. Those were built for high caps, and are a step up in terms of reliability over the WASRs. The problem with the WASRs is that Century does a poor job of opening up the magwells, and you'll often get canted front sights. Other problems can happen as well. The hardest part is finding one that doesn't have all those problems.

Like I said, I've seen SAR-1's go for $500 or so, so they're out there. Don't buy a WASR sight unseen, nto worth it. Might be a few months before you find one that is in good condition as well.

There's other beater AK's to be had for around that price as well. Hell, if you can find someone to build a kit, you can (or could...:rolleyes:) get a kit for around $200-300 and spend another $200 on someone to build it. Very fine AK there. I almost bought 2 Romy G kits a few months back for a couple hundo a piece...still kicking myself for that.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Lutheran, I'd say that you scored big, especially with the folding stock. Even the fixed-stock models are darned near impossible to find for $500 nowadays.

I bought my fixed-stock WASR 10/63 for $450+tax back in October . . . but two months ago is like a lifetime ago in today's gun market.

I'm no expert, but what I've gleaned from reading multiple forums is this:

- The WASRs are just as dependable as any other AK; the differences are cosmetic.
- People bash the WASRs for having poor fit and finish, canted sights, etc.
- Most of the bashing was justified a few years ago, before the WASR 10/63, but the newer 10/63 model is much, much improved over earlier WASRs. You still need to look for canted sights in particular, but most of the current 10/63s are okay.

But I think the most important thing I've learned is this: Buy the gun you want, and don't sweat minor variations in price. $450, $500, $550 -- who cares? The real cost comes later, in the ammo and mods!

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But I think the most important thing I've learned is this: Buy the gun you want, and don't sweat minor variations in price. $450, $500, $550 -- who cares? The real cost comes later, in the ammo and mods!

Enjoy your new toy!
You got that right! I already plan on adding the ATI Strikeforce setup to whatever AK I get. I could be convinced to go with an SKS over an AK, but it would take a pretty good argument. Besides, I think liberals hate AK's more than AR's anyhow.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Buy the AK, then go find a great deal on an SKS. On a local ad, a guy has a norinco SKS with scope for $215 obo. I haven't seen one that low for what....... 2 months now. I own a Sar-1, The only diff is mine has magwell dimples and was high cap from the get-go. I also don't have a slant break or Bayonet.

BK

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think I'll be going for the AK. First I will need to take a closer look at it. It sounds like many of these come with the sight-cant issue, so I want to make sure this particular one is void of that issue. However, since it's the only one in stock, I don't have a plan B, other than do the AR build that I already have the lower receiver for.

Aside from the AK that I hope to get, I'm thinking strongly about a 1911 as well. We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. Since I haven't owned an AK before, what advice would you all give me when inspecting the AK before buying? I've heard about the problems with the front sight post being canted, but aside from that, what else do I need to look for? Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think I'll be going for the SK. First I will need to take a closer look at it. It sounds like many of these come with the sight-cant issue, so I want to make sure this particular one is void of that issue. However, since it's the only one in stock, I don't have a plan B, other than do the AR build that I already have the lower receiver for.

Aside from the AK that I hope to get, I'm thinking strongly about a 1911 as well. We'll see what happens.
LP, I'm a newbie as well on the AK/SKS. The AK s I saw were such cheap looking rifles, that I considered them junk. But by chance I picked up a Russian SKS last week. I intended to sell it and make a couple bucks. But the more I looked it over, the more I liked what I was seeing. Besides the historical aspects, this is a solidly built rifle. So I'm giving the AK another chance, and also looking for better built, preferably Russian. And I'll snap up any Russian SKS rifles I find. Good luck on your search.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to have the $ to afford an AK with a milled receiver. Sadly, those are either way, way out of my price range, and for that matter any justifiable price range for an AK. I wish I would have thought to pick one up prior to November. It's nice to see that BO has kept one of his campaign promises to improve the economy, it seems that the firearms industry is hopping!

For the time being I'm going to take a look at the one I have on layaway and make sure there aren't any defects. If there are problems with it, I may opt for an SKS or try to find another elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
LP, I'm a newbie as well on the AK/SKS. The AK s I saw were such cheap looking rifles, that I considered them junk. But by chance I picked up a Russian SKS last week. I intended to sell it and make a couple bucks. But the more I looked it over, the more I liked what I was seeing. Besides the historical aspects, this is a solidly built rifle. So I'm giving the AK another chance, and also looking for better built, preferably Russian. And I'll snap up any Russian SKS rifles I find. Good luck on your search.
Well, good luck findidng Russian AK rifles....there aren't many here at all and your talking about 2,000 minimum, except for a converted Saiga. As far as the SKS, there isn't much history to them, especially Russian SKSs, since the M44 and was still an issue weapon and before all front line troops were issued SKSs their production was slowed in favor of the AK-47 that took priority. If they feel cheap, thats what they are supposed to feel like. A cheap select fire infantry carbine.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, good luck findidng Russian AK rifles....there aren't many here at all and your talking about 2,000 minimum, except for a converted Saiga. As far as the SKS, there isn't much history to them, especially Russian SKSs, since the M44 and was still an issue weapon and before all front line troops were issued SKSs their production was slowed in favor of the AK-47 that took priority. If they feel cheap, thats what they are supposed to feel like. A cheap select fire infantry carbine.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the Saiga's use a stamped or milled receiver? Thanks!

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you got one with a Tapco trigger, then consider yourself lucky. Now, some WASR 10's don't even come with the tapco trigger. WASR 10's have been considered the entry-level AK 47 for the last few years. It's simple, sturdy, and as someone said before it always goes bang. It's by no means a Saiga, or even a Norinco or SAR, but in this market, I would buy it now.
On the brighter side, My friend who collects tells me that the very first WASR 10's done by CIA were actually done with some quality to make sure they worked. They have decent fitting parts, no mag rattle and are pretty accurate for AK's. I have one and it's nice. Who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky? But you'll have to take it to the range to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I took another look today at the WASR I have on layaway. The front sight and gas block were perfect. Absolutely no cant, so good news there. The forend is roughly finished, and the receiver isn't all that pretty, which I've heard is typical of Romy AK's.

This particular model comes with the Tapco G2 trigger and folding butt stock. The price is $500 on sale, and I happened to snatch up the last one before the sale ended. From what I've seen, that's $100-$300 cheaper than the going rate on Gun Broker right now. If I had known about that particular dealer's sale a while back, they had single-stack WASR's on sale for $300, but with an order of 300, there were 200 pre-orders and 300 rain checks after the sale of the remaining 100.

I don't mind paying $500 for a WASR at this point, especially since this one is void of common problems, has a good trigger, and the folding buttstock to boot!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts