Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm almost finished with gathering essential equipment to start reloading and I'd like the gurus wisdom on which powder would be best for me to work with? I plan on just reloading 9mm, 38spl, and 45ACP. I'm set on getting CCI as primers. Thanks!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I use W231 a lot, but its not a very bulky powder so it's not my first choice for 38.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Look in your reload manual for the bullet you are using and use the recommended powder from the load chart. Assuming you have a manual and assuming you know what bullets you will be loading (by brand and weight for each caliber)....You have a reloading manual, don't you.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use W231 a lot, but its not a very bulky powder so it's not my first choice for 38.
is that winchester or a different powder?

Look in your reload manual for the bullet you are using and use the recommended powder from the load chart. Assuming you have a manual and assuming you know what bullets you will be loading (by brand and weight for each caliber)....You have a reloading manual, don't you.
yes sir, got it right here, but I just wanted to double check with the community. I've got modern reloading 2nd ed. I guess I wanted to know if there would be certain powders I should avoid at first, looking at the bullet gr. and powder seems that some need more than others.

Looking at all three cartridges looks like tight group uses less to get a pretty good velocity,

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Which caliber are you going to load first? Have you bought any other components yet, like the bullets and primers? Have you saved fired cases to use or did you buy cases? What equipment do you have?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which caliber are you going to load first? Have you bought any other components yet, like the bullets and primers? Have you saved fired cases to use or did you buy cases? What equipment do you have?
I'll be starting with 9mm, I got about 800 cases of 9mm saved. currently I have a Lee C press, Lee auto prim XR, and a 4 piece lee carbide die set 9mm shell holders, lee champher and de-burrer, and a electrinoc powder scale, just need to get a good caliper and a funnel. I'm set on starting with 115gr. and just looking online for a good price.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I started reloading for 9mm, then not long after I added 41 mag and 44 mag/special. I ran into some questions and wanted one powder that would do all. Fred, a very nice fellow here on XD who is generous in sharing his experience, suggested to try Alliant Unique. It has been great. In fact, starting last month I added 45acp using same powder, after getting the new Ruger SR1911. Unique does all my calibers, fills cases nicely so a double charge would be obvious. I like it for me, but YMMV. As others have said always load from manuals - in fact also check several sources, go slow and be careful.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Looking at the charts for all 3 calibers it looks like Tight group or 231 will work for all three. Do not buy more than 1 pound to start with. Check the manual you have and see if it lists load information for either of those 2 powders for the 3 calibers you plan to load. Remember 1 pound will load about 1000 pistol loads. After you have more experiance you may want to change powders so 1 pound will do for now.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started reloading for 9mm, then not long after I added 41 mag and 44 mag/special. I ran into some questions and wanted one powder that would do all. Fred, a very nice fellow here on XD who is generous in sharing his experience, suggested to try Alliant Unique. It has been great. In fact, starting last month I added 45acp using same powder, after getting the new Ruger SR1911. Unique does all my calibers, fills cases nicely so a double charge would be obvious. I like it for me, but YMMV. As others have said always load from manuals - in fact also check several sources, go slow and be careful.
Yeah that kinda what I'm looking for, a powder that fills the three. Now that I'm serious and this far in, kinda pissed that I have no clue where my bag of .45 brass is and that I did not save the brass on all my range trips :cry:. Since you mention double charged I guess thats one of the reason why I ask cause from my readings and research, powder grs. can vary in size.

Looking at the charts for all 3 calibers it looks like Tight group or 231 will work for all three. Do not buy more than 1 pound to start with. Check the manual you have and see if it lists load information for either of those 2 powders for the 3 calibers you plan to load. Remember 1 pound will load about 1000 pistol loads. After you have more experiance you may want to change powders so 1 pound will do for now.
thanks for the input! yeah my plan was to try 1lbs first before I decide on what I want in a powder.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
NO, DO NOT USE TG as a newb. Others know this, I HATE TG for any use but bunnyfart loads & even then, I can name 5-6 other that do the same thing w/ a greater volumn/charge wt. This helps you spot dbl charges & no charge, equally important. The other issue is narrow load range & spikey pressure near the top end.
Unique runs really well in all three but some don't like the way it meters. WSF is basically a spherical version fo Unique, meters well but not quite as much volumn/grain. SO as a newb, I would go Unique; gentler pressure curve, runs well in all three & manageable pressure levels. Keep it above average midrange in the book for best result. It does not like to run down around bunnyfart levels, that is the only reason to ever use TG & even then I have better choices IMO.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
OK, I am going to second the above 2 post that recommend Unique. Unique is a great versitle powder and will even load shotgun. I do use it myself. It just didn't come to mind last night so late. So buy Unique and load away.:)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Here is a link to Alliant Powder Reloading Guide. Unique information is available after you read the disclaimer and enter the guide. 9mm info is available plus all other bullets as well. When you are into the charts, click on the blue label (Unique) and then you can see (all Unique loads) click on that and you can see everything unique can be used for in pistol loads.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks you guys!!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Here is a link to Alliant Powder Reloading Guide. Unique information is available after you read the disclaimer and enter the guide. 9mm info is available plus all other bullets as well. When you are into the charts, click on the blue label (Unique) and then you can see (all Unique loads) click on that and you can see everything unique can be used for in pistol loads.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide
Use a reloading manual though, the webs site is terrible. A few bullet choices & they only list max data, almost useless. The lyman #49 & Speer#14 have starting & max loads, more bullet styles, better way to reload. I ONLY use the powder site data to cross ref, not as my only data source.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have to agree with the posters. WST - Winchester Super Target is the powder for me. It's harder for me to find where I'm at, but in the last 9 months I've gone thru 3 lbs of it.(approx 4200 rounds) I load it in my 9mm and 40SW competition loads and it does a remarkable job. Low smoke, excellent burn rate, and it is makes very accurate low recoil rounds. This may seem like a silly "extra" but it just smells awesome. I was at an IDPA match yesterday and I had 4 different guys ask me what powder I was shooting because of the low smoke and excellent smell from the powder. We were sitting behind a guy shooting Bullseye just watching the black belch of smoke from his barrel and smelling that nasty "burnt" smell.

Here's a video link to yesterdays match where I was shooting some WST loads. 124gr Montana Gold FMJ's over 4.8gr of WST. You can see there is very little smoke and even though I am seated, the recoil is easily manageable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
NO, DO NOT USE TG as a newb. Others know this, I HATE TG for any use but bunnyfart loads & even then, I can name 5-6 other that do the same thing w/ a greater volumn/charge wt. This helps you spot dbl charges & no charge, equally important. The other issue is narrow load range & spikey pressure near the top end.
Unique runs really well in all three but some don't like the way it meters. WSF is basically a spherical version fo Unique, meters well but not quite as much volumn/grain. SO as a newb, I would go Unique; gentler pressure curve, runs well in all three & manageable pressure levels. Keep it above average midrange in the book for best result. It does not like to run down around bunnyfart levels, that is the only reason to ever use TG & even then I have better choices IMO.
Please define "bunnyfart loads". Is there a specific Power Factor level?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unless you have a local vendor to purchase from, you might consider buying bulk to make the purchase more cost effective because you are slapped with a $25 hazmat fee when ordering primers or powders.

For my first purchase of powder, I bought 4 lbs of Power Pistol and 1 lb each of Unique, HS-6 and Tite Group. This allowed me to get started with and used to reloading using a popular, good powder and also a few powders to experiment with later on. I went through over 2 lbs of Power Pistol before I started trying out the others. I don't have a 'favorite' yet since but I've had successful tests with each but not enough rounds with any to establish perceived differences in recoil or test for how clean they burn (besides Power Pistol).

Last weekend I put in another order for powder and decided to go with 8 lbs of Unique, 1 lb of WST and 4 lbs of Vihtavuori N320. Besides price and availability, I've never heard anything bad said about N320.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts