Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First its 20 and 30 rounders for the Mini-14...then they release a really nice 1911...now this:

10_22-BX-25-MAGAZINE-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

I don't know what is in the water over at Ruger....but I like it!

Finally, a factory equivalent to the more expensive (but still very cool) Tactical Innovations 10-22 mags.

Its about time!!!

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Nice! I've been using Butler Creek 25/22 Steel Lips with good success but had to make some minor filing on the steel lip as it was hitting the bolt during recoil, causing the bolt to jam.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Since Ruger joined the Black Rifle market with its very well thought out SR556 and SR556C that the company has taken a turn for ceating quality tactical products. They continue their traditional excellence and have reached out into new grounds with gutsy new designs that are well-engineered.

Welcome home Ruger!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I bet William B. Ruger Sr. is not happy about this !!!!

I will never forget, the name Ruger still kind of gives me a sour taste, although I do own a few.

Aside from his million dollar donation to the NRA Museum, William B. Ruger, Senior, should be remembered as the man who embraced the investment casting process very early on, and whose Pine Tree is one of the most respected investment casting enterprises in the world, the man who gave us the Mini-14, the 10/22 and the first American-made production firearm chambered in 7.62 X 39mm… and the man who told NBC News' Tom Brokaw that:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."

"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."

"I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

And, sadly, that too must be part of the Ruger legacy.

·
Registered
19,676 Posts
I bet William B. Ruger Sr. is not happy about this !!!!

I will never forget, the name Ruger still kind of gives me a sour taste, although I do own a few.

Aside from his million dollar donation to the NRA Museum, William B. Ruger, Senior, should be remembered as the man who embraced the investment casting process very early on, and whose Pine Tree is one of the most respected investment casting enterprises in the world, the man who gave us the Mini-14, the 10/22 and the first American-made production firearm chambered in 7.62 X 39mm… and the man who told NBC News' Tom Brokaw that:

"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."

And, sadly, that too must be part of the Ruger legacy.
I also have a hard time supporting a gun company who's founder was such a major Fudd. I'm glad his legacy is departing with the old man.

I may someday own another Ruger (I once owned a "dishonest" P89), but for now, there are too many other options out there from American companies more worthy of my financial support.

I'm still not ready to jump on the 10/22 bandwagon. It seams it's best feature is the after-market support for it, and I usually leave my guns stock.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

And, sadly, that too must be part of the Ruger legacy.[/QUOTE]

Wow!!! I wasn’t awareof these comments to Brokaw. Thank you for this info. I’ve always been a big fan of their revolvers and the 10/22 is one of my favorites but I wasn’t aware that he felt that way about magazine capacity, stocks and waiting periods. I just lost some respect for this brand.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I may give these a try but I have never had much luck with the previous 25 rounders I have purchased.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would LOVE to see Ruger make a 308 caliber Mini-14 that takes 308 AR mags. Maybe their take on the M-1A? A short, handy 308 rifle with a detachable 20rd mag and the M-14's action....you know that would sell like mad.

It would also be very cool to see a Mini-14 that takes AR mags. They got the shot-stringing problem to go away with a heavier barrel...now make it take AR mags. You know that would sell like mad.

Seeing that Ruger is shaking off the ghost of Bill....hey...it might happen!

(fingers crossed)

- brickboy240

·
Registered
174 Posts
Basically Ruger just takes what the shooting public is already buying and just makes it with their quality and good prices. It's really a simple case of supply and demand, and it's a business model that a lot more folks should try and emulate.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Funny they list a few cities in Ohio as "restricted" and they claim they cant ship there... there are NO magazine size restrictions anywhere in Ohio, so WTF Ruger?

·
Registered
19,676 Posts
Funny they list a few cities in Ohio as "restricted" and they claim they cant ship there... there are NO magazine size restrictions anywhere in Ohio, so WTF Ruger?
not true. The state of Ohio limits you to 30 rounds in a magazine. bigger ones are not sold in OH as far as I know, and if you bring them into or through the state, you can't have them loaded with more than 30.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Basically Ruger just takes what the shooting public is already buying and just makes it with their quality and good prices. It's really a simple case of supply and demand, and it's a business model that a lot more folks should try and emulate.
This is a very recent development. Until a few years ago, Ruger was pretty well stagnant in their product line, and bending over backwards to be politically correct.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
not true. The state of Ohio limits you to 30 rounds in a magazine. bigger ones are not sold in OH as far as I know, and if you bring them into or through the state, you can't have them loaded with more than 30.
The 30 round limit doesn't apply to .22's.

ETA: It is kind of insulting to have restrictions based on locality, considering Ohio passed preemption here a few years ago. State laws trump local ordinance when the local ordinances are more restrictive than state law. So far preemption has been upheld in court, despite Cleveland's persistence.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ruger's old words have gone with him to his grave.

Ruger now makes guns like this SR556:

and this SR556C:

and still makes the good old 10/22s and GP100s as well as Mark IIs:

Reliable, well-made firearms.

Its good that the company has decided to stop being politically correct and cater to the firearms enthusiasts. Go Ruger!!!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
One good thing about factory 25 rnd mags for the 10/22 is that the other mags will drop their prices to compete. For example CDNN has steel lips mags on sale this weekend for $15/ea. They did have the new ruger mags but sold out quickly.

The whole thing with Bill Ruger is that the gov't and the lawyers had a gun to his head after some high profile shootings using the Mini 14 and other Rugers. While he was a fudd, he was trying to stay in business

·
Registered
895 Posts
If anyone is looking for the BX-25 mags there's a shop local to me that has them in stock. They have a web store, too. 21st Century Firearms Inc..
thanks for the link, i just hit'em up for 2, every other vendor is out of stock except ruger and they want a buck and some change more than 21st century. midwayusa only wants $24 and change but r out of stock till mid july.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered 2 from Ruger's website. No problems.

Yes, things have really changed at Ruger. They make quality ARs, the 20 and 30rd Mini-14 mags are back and now the 25rd 10-22 mags. The PC nonsense died with Bill Ruger and they realized that if they want to stay afloat today...they have to offer the guns people want and not just hunting bolt guns and single action revolvers.

Their new 1911 also looks to be a real winner. If you ask me, Ruger is now doing better than ever.

- brickboy240

1 - 20 of 32 Posts