Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, got BGD. So I'll be going to my first gun show looking for a cure.
Been reading the forums and decieded to build a good entry level AR. I, pretty much know what I want to build. Most everyone says a lower is a lower.
What is a good price for a stripped lower at a gun show and a lpk? I, found stripped lowers/w lpk online from $160-$190 but you still have to add shipping and FFL.
From what I, read if you mix uppers and lowers the finish color may not match. So what lower will go with one of these uppers Del-ton, CMMG or Stag and the finish color will match.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
At the shows around here, stripped lowers go for $100 to $120.
I'd be wary of gun show LPKs unless they are in original factory marked sealed bags. DPMS lpk usually go for $50-55 here. I usually order a Stag or RRA kit off the 'net.

Color match is not a guarantee even between the same brand. It is the nature of anodizing. A lot of people are hung up about the color match.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I had an Olympic Arms lower someone gave me. Pretty good price. :)

The two concerns I had--that it wouldn't match in color, and that it might somehow not be a good lower, were unfounded.

I paired my lower with an M4 kit from FireForEffect, whose uppers are made by CMMG. That kit included the LPK and stock. As you can see below from the pic, color difference, if any, is not noticeable.

And as far as accuracy, well, I'm more than pleased. Was out Friday with it, only iron sights (rear peep), and at 100 yards I was able to put 5 shots out of 5 on a 1-foot target--centered on the bullseye, nothing more than 1.5" left or right, and within a 7" distance high to low.

As an entry-level AR, I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was wondering this myself. I saw a DPMS lower at a shop for $225. I'm guessing there must have been the trigger kit in it already. I didn't look close enough other than to notice the tag and the sticker shock.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just bought a DPMS stripped lower yesterday for $180. Considering that is less than the sale price currently listed on the DPMS website, and I'm not paying for shipping/FFL services, and that everything is expensive in Alaska, $180 isn't bad.

Shoot, gas is still over $3.00 a gallon here and we refine our own damn fuel!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The two concerns I had--that it wouldn't match in color, and that it might somehow not be a good lower, were unfounded.

I paired my lower with an M4 kit from FireForEffect, whose uppers are made by CMMG. That kit included the LPK and stock. As you can see below from the pic, color difference, if any, is not noticeable.

And as far as accuracy, well, I'm more than pleased. Was out Friday with it, only iron sights (rear peep), and at 100 yards I was able to put 5 shots out of 5 on a 1-foot target--centered on the bullseye, nothing more than 1.5" left or right, and within a 7" distance high to low.

This is what I, have in mind for mine. Except I, am going with midlength hand guard and no cary handle.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I picked up a DPMS stripped lower at a gunshop in Lubbock yesterday. It was $139. I figured by the time I paid the FFL fee and shipping I would have the same amount in it. He also had a Stag for the same price but the build I just did was with a Stag. I thought I would try the DPMS this time. I tried to make a deal on both but he wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I think we have the same carpet.

That and my AR's a FFE kit on a CMMG lower.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just from my research and my first build a good quality stripped lower should run around $100 before shipping and FFL fees.

I am curious as to why this Colt lower is so much? My full build didn't even cost that much.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Just from my research and my first build a good quality stripped lower should run around $100 before shipping and FFL fees.

I am curious as to why this Colt lower is so much? My full build didn't even cost that much.
It comes with the Cult, err I mean Colt membership card and a bottle of their special Kool-Aid. Oops !! I almost forgot about the invitation to the "drinking" of the Kool-Aid in their field. It's an annual type of event, although no one ever makes it to more than one. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I bought a complete DPMS lower at an Ohio gun show last weekend. Had the parts kit and a 6 position stock already installed on it. Out the door price was $250. Got it for $242 because I paid cash. They had the same thing in CMMG for the same price.

·
Registered
22 Posts

thats easy... its got the colt roll mark!

if I was going to have an unlimited budget to build an AR, it would be Noveske or Knights.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
one you pointed out a lower is a lower is a lower if color match is crutial to you you might consider gun koteing the upper and lower reciever for an exact match however most color differences are very minimal except in close up pictures where the differece appears substancial due to the flash

a decent price on a stripped lower (at least to day it could be more come Tuesday) Is around $120 depending on the roll mark

As far as lowers go I don't see where one is superior to another. For the money unless you just want the same brand upper and lower (which isn't unreasonable since it can be more appealing to a buyer as it's typicaly not looked upon as a franken gun) I would get either a spikes or double star lower and order a stag LPK

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I see a difference when you compare a billet lower receiver like the Tactical Innovations to a forged lower receiver like the CMMG ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, the bug has got to me and my pops....I just bought 3 stripped lowers and he bought 6 I believe. We're building and keeping unlike those folks who are trying to buy and flip to abuse the panic. I want to build 3 seperate looks. My pops is just a weapon nut so I'm sure his will come out outrageous lookin'. We figured out the price to come out to 87 total per lower. Including the shipping and FFL fees.....Can't wait to get these assembled. All Double Star lowers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
color differences are normally pretty close but Pictures exasperate the differences there have been issues where the upper and lower match perfectly to the eye but in pictures are now were close someone here recently posted a pic where the upper had a purplish color to it but stated that to his eye it was a perfect match. it has something to do with an additive to the finish.

today prices are going to be fairly subjective what was $110 two weeks ago are now looking good to some at $165

1 - 20 of 20 Posts