Springfield XD Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've put the pins in with channel locks. no punches.
Thanks, but i may not be as good as you at this, but i could be better at math.:)

Thanks I'll remember this. I'm laying odds that my son and his friends may do all the work for me if i wait on him, he's getting leave for 2 weeks at Christmas, plus a couple of his local friends are offering to help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dude you're in luck!... Black Friday and Cyber Monday is right around the corner!!... Just sign-in or sign-up for Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore as well as to Palmetto State Armory and start monitoring their daily and weekend sales via their e-mails.... Be patient... as you can literally buy a complete build Ruger AR 556 with perhaps some Magpul furniture for like $499... maybe even $479. You CAN NOT beat a complete AR rifle from either Ruger based out of North Carolina or Smith & Wesson with their M&P Sport II for that sort of money!!... So perhaps forget that upper and lower crap, as remember it's your first AR-15 and you may just want some sort of warranty and customer support just in case from a reputable manufacturer... You just have to find a LGS for the FFL transfer that the fee is reasonable which can vary from $20 to $40. Again your timing is excellent, as the Black Friday & Cyber Monday sales are pretty darn decent and it is a buyer's market. Last year during Black Friday & Cyber Monday I bought my EDC a Springfield Armory XD-E for a great price that came with 5 mags along with deals on a mil-spec ALG Trigger, a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 Red dot, a Raptor Charging handle, and last but not least a Nickel Boron BCG from PSA... I had a great Christmas not too mention picking up loads of bulk Ammo... This year, I am looking out for deals on a home defense handgun light/laser, a classic 1911 handgun or a Sig P320, and if I see a real sweet deal on a Ruger AR pistol I might just go ahead and pull the trigger on it... By the way, I've put way over 1,000 rounds through my Ruger AR556 which has never misfired and/or jammed that I bought at a Gun Show like 2 years ago for like $600 and that's been one of the best purchases I've ever made as it was my first firearm... I absolutely love my rifle... as there is no other like it... as it is my rifle!... 8)

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
... I have to decide before noon tomorrow.
Don't mean to make this more complicated than it already is, but take a look at JSE Surplus' "customizable" assembled uppers. I usually recommend those to guys who already have a bunch of spare parts since you can omit parts that you already have on hand.

You pick your caliber and go from there adding what you want (upgrading along the way if the budget is there) and omitting (not paying for) parts you already have. It helps to avoid having a big box of "take-off" parts later on or, it can use up a lot of the stuff you already have and dont want to pay to duplicate.

Their uppers come to you assembled, no need to buy a vice block, wrench, etc.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
If you're putting the lower together yourself, you'll want to pick up one of those "armorer's wrenches," anyway, as you'll want a spanner for the "castle nut" to secure the receiver extension/"buffer tube." It's doable with a strap-wrench or channel-lock, but this minimal investment pays off both during initial assembly as well as further down the line.

If you have a multi-tool on your holiday wish-list, you may want to simply go for the MultiTasker V2 or V3. They're expensive, and they're not light weight by any means of the word, but for AR-dedicated multitools, they are worth the spend if you frequent the range or take training classes. Each of these include a small spanner for this very purpose.

Regardless of your end-intent (i.e. whether you plan to build more, attend training classes, etc.), an investment in a $20 to $40 "armorer's wrench" (or, if you're a knife/pocket-tool collector, the MultiTaskers) will insure that you have what you need to service your weapon should it become necessary for maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I'm not an AR expert by any means so I tend to not say much on the AR threads.

But I've owned several and currently have a heavily worked over Sig M400 as my safe AR, and if I were advising someone on their first AR I'd strongly suggest getting an entry level gun from a top manufacturer. The M&P Sport and the Ruger are the 2 I'd suggest. Then swap out furniture if you want, change the handguard, trigger, etc. Get to know the platform and wind up with a gun you're pretty happy with for a minimal investment. You're now an AR guy, you can keep that gun and add a higher end gun like an LMT or LWRCI, or if you really like working on them get parts and make your own keeping in mind your home assembled AR has very little resale value should you decide you want to sell it.

But for a first gun buying an upper and doing it yourself? I'd suggest no. Buy something reasonable on sale from a major company and learn what you like and don't like. It won't be expensive and you'll discover what you want not what someone else suggests.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I thank everyone for the help. I'll be asking more questions on this I'm sure.

A big part of this project was, this was something me and my son could do together over his leave doing the holidays. He just finished basic training at Fort Jackson a few weeks ago , he will be working on BlackHawks and is training down at Fort Eustis which is only a few hours from here. He has a few years experience with AR's and has helped a few friends with kit builds locally. One friend has 4 builds under his belt.
He has 2 weeks leave coming his way due to the holidays and his training schedule. So hopefully we can get this project done and checked out. Us doing this together may be the last time for a while we get some good time together in the near future , he's been told that odds are he'll be going over seas after his training at Fort Eustis.

So while doing this project will leave me with a AR 15 , which my son is very interested in doing, it's more about our time together. Building and then shooting. I've helped him with his trucks for the last 5 years , now he gets to helped me with this.

Again thanks to all , I'll be back within the next week or after thanksgiving with more questions and ill pass on what I've brought.

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
They're incredibly simple to put together.

For basic builds anyway. If you get into accurizing, good tools are definitely a must. I've got reciever blocks, varius roll pin punches and starter punches as well as a Geissele Super Reaction Rod (it's not cheap but awesome for building uppers.)

There's plenty of youtube walk throughs by excellent smiths too.

Word of advice on putting a lower together, the trigger guard pin is the most common way people screw up and snap the ears off the receiver. I like to use a baby c-clamp with some tape or plastic on it so it doesn't mar the finish. I use a punch to gently start the pin then the clamp comes out to ease it into place.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Word of advice on putting a lower together, the trigger guard pin is the most common way people screw up and snap the ears off the receiver. I like to use a baby c-clamp with some tape or plastic on it so it doesn't mar the finish. I use a punch to gently start the pin then the clamp comes out to ease it into place.
^ This.

Take your time, here. Whatever means you choose.

I use a wood block that's recessed to support as much of the receiver as possible: for me, this is simply the same wood block that my brass punch and drift set came with. :)

Whatever you choose to do, just be careful here. Take your time, and use good common sense.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Suggest take a look on Tombstone Tactical

I was just noticing great prices on either ruger ar-556 or m&p sport, both < $500.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
OK, I know that we're not playing with this kind of budget for the OP, but seriously, it's time to pay attention to Black Friday pricing, regardless whether one is looking to pick up a complete or build-up from stripped components.

One of the larger independent gun-shop/outdoor retailers here in NE-Ohio just put up part of their Black Friday ads, and it's got both the Daniel Defense V7 and V7LW each at only $1,100. :shock:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Just though I'd stop back and say I ordered a kit from PSA and, it's the second link that Cuba had posted earlier in the thread,i got it before the price jump. So thanks Cuda.
Also thanks to Cuda , i found an Aero Precision 2 lower for $70 at a LGS, they had the Anderson for $46. I know maybe buying a low cost fully built may have been the way to go, going for the kit may be the wrong move , but i like the idea of working on this with my son.

Thanks for all the help from the forum. I'll pass along more info as i do things by myself or if i can wait for my son to come home at Christmas.

(i loaded up and took advantage of the Black Friday sales of magazines, got some P Mags Gen3, Lancer L5 and then got a couple Hexmag to try)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You'll like the Aero lower. My first build was an Anderson, and while it functions just fine, putting the grip on required a bit of clearancing because it was so tight. Might have been the grip itself, might have been the lower tang that was off. But my 2nd build was an Aero and I had no issues putting it together at all, using the same grip model (Magpul MOE). The finish on the Aero is also a lot better than the Anderson.

Good luck with the build and have fun with it.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Lots of good info for you here OP... haven't read every reply / post yet, so haven't seen if you got anything yet.

The complete PSA rifles are very good options for lower cost rifles as well as the S&W M&P guns. Ruger I would stay away from just because of personal experience with some of their rifles and parts not interchanging quite right..... long story, just personal preference there.

Right now is a great time to be a buyer, a whole ton of options out there for you. Good luck, especially up there in VA.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just a Report back and a Thanks to all.

Put 200 rnds through my new AR, no problems at all. Got the flip ups sights as close as my vision and abilities would let me. Put some cheaper 55 gr FMJ Barnaul, some 62gr FMJ Frontier, 75ge BT HP Magtech and 77gr BT HP PPU. I'm getting new glasses this week so i guess I'll shoot so more to check it out again.

We also sighted in his new .308 AR today. His new wife and mine had fun shooting their 9mm pistols also.

Well thanks again to all.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts