Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
How would this Dominion Outdoors | Del-Ton Echo 316 Semi Auto Rifle 5.56 NATO 16" M4 Barrel 30 Rounds

Would this be a decent 1st AR at $465 it's not the cheapest price online , but it's lower than most, plus from a LGS.
I see no problem w that rifle. It's an entry-level piece that should give you years of service.

One of my first ARs was a Del-Ton (bought through PSA, coincidentally) that was on sale for under 500 bucks. TBH, I wasn't expecting much and the price was really the reason I bought it at all, but that doesn't explain why I STILL have it. Handguard, stocks, sights, optics, grips, and triggers have come and gone but the basic carbine is unchanged. Other ARs have come and gone too. It's been loaned-out, used in classes, and bounced around in my truck. It's not my prettiest or "best" one, but it works anytime I ask it to.

I also think the PSA rifle kits are a viable option.

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
For under $500, you can get a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II. One of the best least expensive AR 15s sold.

Smith & Wesson 10202 M&P15 Sport II AR-15 Rifle 16in 5.56 30rd Black
Wow... that's a VERY attractive price! I'm not even in the market, have no need or desire, space, or reason to buy another freakin AR. It would be a stupid thing for me to do.. DAMMIT I'M TEMPTED.

The original M&P Sport was a lot like the DTI Sport Lite in that it had no forward assist or dust cover ("military-grade weapon", Beto? Hardly). Unnecessary items for a hobbyist, IMO, but I can't imagine a huge weight loss from their omission.

If I was the in the OP's position, I think this would answer my question 100%.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all the info. i have to watch the local shops next week and through DEC. The 1 shop had the M&P sport last year for $500, I'll see if there's a repeat of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was looking to maybe pick up a low cost AR . Didn't want to spend a lot with ways things may develop here in VA.

Thought this was a way to get started toward one , was going to keep cost down , just in case they do a forced buy back or even something more unconstitutional here to gun owners. If there's anything good under $500 that would be great.

I have shotguns, pistols , rifles , 9mm carbine , but no AR platform .

All suggestions welcomed. Thanks
I have a DPMS AR . Had it for over 10 years. It is fantastic very good quality accuracy is outstanding especially with a scope. Never ever had any problems with it. Check them out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was looking to maybe pick up a low cost AR . Didn't want to spend a lot with ways things may develop here in VA.

Thought this was a way to get started toward one , was going to keep cost down , just in case they do a forced buy back or even something more unconstitutional here to gun owners. If there's anything good under $500 that would be great.

I have shotguns, pistols , rifles , 9mm carbine , but no AR platform .

All suggestions welcomed. Thanks
Armalite EAGLE ARMS 15EA02 EAGLE-15 .223 OPTIC READY - $399.99 (Free S/H)..shop around got mine on sale for $306.00 added a scope..also on sale $112.00

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Do you need a barrel wrench(armors wrench) to put a kit together , just checking here . Was told this but I'm not sure about the guy who told me this , trust you guys more on this ?

All the Palmetto State kits look like barrel all ready together ?

Have a punch set already.(if it has right sizes)

·
Registered
29,559 Posts
Do you need a barrel wrench to put a kit together , just checking here . Was told this but I'm not sure about the guy who told me this , trust you guys more on this ?
Depends.

If you buy a complete, assembled upper? No.

If you are going to assemble your own upper? Yes.

Slight caveat is that some hand guards come with a proprietary barrel nut, and will come with a wrench...but you'll still need a torque wrench.

The only tools you need to assemble a lower are some punches, a hammer, and a screwdriver and/or Allen wrench. A vice grip can come in handy, as well.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Cuda , i was looking at both of the kits you liked earlier , and they look fully assembled. I have all the other tools i believe just didn't know about the wrench.

I should buy the 289 kit , just to get started , but the look of the 349 kit draws me , all ready with sights and all ready set up to add stuff to it , maybe over time. Plus in the questions area some people mention that this had a little better barrel than the 289 kit, don't know if this is true or not?

Thanks for your help

Also already have 4 offers to help me put it together if i get a kit.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Btw, and others may chime in with better info, but the wrench on PSA seems pricey. I'm all for good tools but for infrequent use I like to save. Wrench at Academy sports seems ok.

·
Registered
29,559 Posts
Thanks Cuda , i was looking at both of the kits you liked earlier , and they look fully assembled. I have all the other tools i believe just didn't know about the wrench.

I should buy the 289 kit , just to get started , but the look of the 349 kit draws me , all ready with sights and all ready set up to add stuff to it , maybe over time. Plus in the questions area some people mention that this had a little better barrel than the 289 kit, don't know if this is true or not?

Thanks for your help

Also already have 4 offers to help me put it together if i get a kit.
The nitride barrel is worth it, imho. It’s a corrosion-resistant treatment that doesn’t mess with accuracy (like chrome lining can, sometimes).

Add the sights, and the freefloat handguard...it’s worth the extra $60. A decent rear sight will run you at least $30-$40 for that other upper, anyway.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Btw, and others may chime in with better info, but the wrench on PSA seems pricey. I'm all for good tools but for infrequent use I like to save. Wrench at Academy sports seems ok.
Thanks I'll look there, also saw some other sights with tool starting under 20 if i need 1, which i guess i would in time.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The nitride barrel is worth it, imho. It’s a corrosion-resistant treatment that doesn’t mess with accuracy (like chrome lining can, sometimes).

Add the sights, and the freefloat handguard...it’s worth the extra $60. A decent rear sight will run you at least $30-$40 for that other upper, anyway.

Thanks, i have to decide before noon tomorrow. The extras on the 349 one seemed worth it to me , knowing that the barrel is better is great too. I already have a red dot sight here and a extra scope laying around after I'm sure it all functions well.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think you’re getting good advice from Cuda66, I’ve built over 100 ARs and honestly for most people that want a durable low cost accurate rifle PSA is as good if not better than any of the entry level rifles out there, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of the kits and then just add a lower. You can upgrade trigger, stock, charging handle and grip as you get a sense of what you like down the road. The kit currently listed is a good deal, and it or another similar option will be on sale again next week, so you can wait and pick what you want but these are about the lowest prices you’ll see . PSA 16" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Mid-Length Nitride 15" Lightweight M-Lok MOE EPT Rifle Kit

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think you’re getting good advice from Cuda66, I’ve built over 100 ARs and honestly for most people that want a durable low cost accurate rifle PSA is as good if not better than any of the entry level rifles out there, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of the kits and then just add a lower. You can upgrade trigger, stock, charging handle and grip as you get a sense of what you like down the road. The kit currently listed is a good deal, and it or another similar option will be on sale again next week, so you can wait and pick what you want but these are about the lowest prices you’ll see . PSA 16" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Mid-Length Nitride 15" Lightweight M-Lok MOE EPT Rifle Kit
Thanks , i saw that it was still on sale , but with a $50 jump. I think I've decided on it now for 349, but will see if i still feel this way in morning.

Been some great help here on the site , lots of knowledge.

Just seems to be too many options on getting a AR , if i look too much , I'll never get around to getting one.

·
Registered
19,522 Posts
Depends.

If you buy a complete, assembled upper? No.

If you are going to assemble your own upper? Yes.

Slight caveat is that some hand guards come with a proprietary barrel nut, and will come with a wrench...but you'll still need a torque wrench.

The only tools you need to assemble a lower are some punches, a hammer, and a screwdriver and/or Allen wrench. A vice grip can come in handy, as well.
I've put the pins in with channel locks. no punches.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts