Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of posts on this forum and others on the merits of Federal HST, Winchester Rangers, Gold Dots, and Golden Sabers. I was curious to hear some of your opinions on good standard pressure self defense loads for a 9mm and a 40 S&W ( I know there are no +p 40 loads). Any preferences or info is appreciated. The 9mm is a little Ruger LC9 and the 40 will be for either a full size XDm or a S&W M&P.

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
Go here, read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Find one of the loads that works well in YOUR pistol. Note that they are not listed in order of performance; all perform equally well. You may find that some are more expensive and/or harder to find than others. Buy one, fire at least one entire magazine out of every mag you will use for SD/carry. If it shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control, there you go; you've found a load that works for you. What works for other folks is irrelevant.

I will add--any of the brands you listed in the heavier weights (147 and 180, respectively) would work just fine

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I like the 40sw 180/165g pdx1 from winchester. I haven't tried any of the othees because they are outrageously over priced at the local gun stores.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Hornady CD is a gimmick round that doesn't pass FBI protocol.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yes, HST, Rangers, GS, GD in 124gr or above for 9mm and 165gr or above for .40 pass FBI protocols. I personally like the 147gr and 180gr.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
I know it is expensive, but buy a box of each and make sure your gun will go through them without a malfunction.
Or, buy a box of one and try it out. If it works, stick with it and don't worry about the rest. This is what I did. I use PDX1 .40 in my XDM with no problems. The list you have looks pretty good. I say find whichever one from your list is the most readily available from local vendors and is the cheapest and try it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it is expensive, but buy a box of each and make sure your gun will go through them without a malfunction.
Or, buy a box of one and try it out. If it works, stick with it and don't worry about the rest. This is what I did. I use PDX1 .40 in my XDM with no problems. The list you have looks pretty good. I say find whichever one from your list is the most readily available from local vendors and is the cheapest and try it out.
I thought about just picking one of those up and seeing if it was reliable and sticking with that, like you suggested. I figure if I do my part any good modern bullet will be sufficient for my purposes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Speer Gold Dots. In either caliber they are actually street-proven... the reason so many departments issue them. I carry them every day, from a .380 to a .45.

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
I thought about just picking one of those up and seeing if it was reliable and sticking with that, like you suggested. I figure if I do my part any good modern bullet will be sufficient for my purposes.
Exactly.

Find what your pistol likes, and run with it.

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
The only other thing is availability. If it's hard to find or shipping would be excessive, it's not a practical choice.
That would depend on what dollar amount you choose to put on it.

If you can get a proven round that your pistol likes, it may be worth it, even though it was considerably more expensive than other choices that may be less reliable.

However...that being said, I've proofed my main carry and HD pistols on HST, Ranger-T, PDX-1, Gold Dots, and Golden Sabres. I am confident I will be able to find any one of these rounds if I need to, and I also tend to stock up on them when I find good prices. The proofing process is not cheap (for my Baer, I put 8(+1) magazines--72 rounds each--of HST, R-T, PDX1, GD and GS in one sitting...I figure that it ran me around $200 to do).

For me, that was worth every penny--I'm confident that no matter what I stuff in my pistol, it's gonna run.

Other people may feel differently.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hornady CD is a gimmick round that doesn't pass FBI protocol.
Lol. I've seen you say that at least 5 times in 5 different threads. You really hate the CD. I've rotated out my CD for home defense mainly because you're so dedicated to disliking that round.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
It's not hate it's that so many people post that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, the end all to self defense rounds when it actually under performs and all quality HPs do much better in IWBA and FBI protocol tests. The only good thing CDs have a lot of commercial time and gun rags, payed by sponsors are pushing them like crazy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm convinced that my XD9 will eat just about any round .

I rely on Ranger Ts in my XD and Gold Dots in my Seecamp . You're not gonna shoot that many SD rounds , so go quality and sleep well .

IMO . :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts