Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a nice lightly used Rem 700 in a 30-06 for deer hunting. Has some cheap glass on it that I don't want to use ($39). What's a good set of glass to look at for a good price good up to 200yds? Thanks!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4-8x should do just fine. redfield makes several really good scopes at affordable prices. should be right up your ally.

or Hawke Optics...
I was thinking 8x myself. I don't think I will be touching anything past 200yds. I will check out those brands, Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good galss?
Yea I juts noticed that... ha ha. One finger went a little too quicker than the others.... and I can't edit it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have a Rem 700 in 30-06 and I have the Leupold VXII on it 3-9. Its perfect for what I use it for. 200 yards for at the range and then hunting.
Also, as long as the gun isn't really old you can actually adjust the trigger. Its pretty easy to do, look it up and tinker a little. It doesn't take much to fine tune it to your liking....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Rem 700 in 30-06 and I have the Leupold VXII on it 3-9. Its perfect for what I use it for. 200 yards for at the range and then hunting.
Also, as long as the gun isn't really old you can actually adjust the trigger. Its pretty easy to do, look it up and tinker a little. It doesn't take much to fine tune it to your liking....
It is a newer 700 SPS model... I will have to look into some trigger work, although it doesn't feel too bad right now. Anyone ever used a Burris C4 4.5–14x42? Not sure I need the 14x, but it got some really good reviews.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ranging feature on the Redfield Revenge is pretty dang cool... and for the price I'm leaning towards that right now. They have it in a 3-9x42 and a 3-9x52.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only Burris I've used was the black diamond ballistic mildots (worthless).

I'm a really big Millett nut now though. 4 LRS-1 scopes on 3 rifles (2 Rem700, 1 Savage 110BA, not sure where to put the last one...)
Hmm... yea that Burris had me going on the fact that the turret is custom to round/load that you are shooting. BUT if I am going to be making/reloading my own rounds, that seems like not as much of a selling point now as I'll be tweaking my own rounds to find what I like.

I am looking at Millett now, but the Redfield still looks good... especially since it sounds like Leopold is making it.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
i donno much about that. all i know is I want a scope that is subtentioned in milliradians, calibrated at full power, and has turret clicks to match.

because doing the math between mildots and MOA is more trouble than practical. If it weren't for that fact, i'd buy a Hawke right now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I hear that. Honestly I wanted to spend $5-600 tops on glass, but if the quality has stayed the same or better on the lower priced optics such as Redfield or Hawke, and they can hold up to the abuse/time, I'd rather keep some of that $$ in my pocket for ammo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would a 50mm reticle be much better than a 40mm reticle? And if so, would it be worth the cost difference and how much higher it would sit on the rifle?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check out the Vortex line, they have been dead on reliable for my friends who have them. Leupold has decent glass, Nikon, Zeiss, and the Bushnell Elite scopes have been proven performers at a reasonable price point. Inside of 200 yards you don't need bullet drop reticles on a 30-06. With a 100 yard zero you're only going to drop 3 1/2" at 200 yards with a 180 grain bullet travelling 2800fps. 0-220 yards will put you into a circle the size of a deers heart.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Would a 50mm reticle be much better than a 40mm reticle? And if so, would it be worth the cost difference and how much higher it would sit on the rifle?
In comparable model scope it should be, but I once read someone from Leupold that said the 50mm really didn't make any practical difference over the 40mm in the same scope.

In your price range I'd stick with a proven product like the Leupold VX-3, Zeiss Conquest, or even Bushnell Elite at the lower price end. Anything in the 2-7X, 3-9x, or 3.5-10.5X range should handle all your needs.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts