Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife suddenly has a desire for a revolver. Just got her a Bersa Thunder 380 as her EDC pistol, but she saw this sexy little Lady Smith .38 (S&W) with aluminum alloy frame and nice looking (cherry?) wood grips.

Would this be a good first revolver for her?

I thought the Ruger LCR (hammerless) looked pretty good as well.

Any comments choosing a first revolver?

Will probably be used as a range gun and also CCW.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
If your wife has no issues with the Bersa Thunder 380 recoil, she should be good shooting a Lady Smith Model 60 with .38 spl or even .38 +P. It is a good small frame, light-weight revolver. Weight may be an once or two more than the Bersa. Nothing wrong with the Ruger LCR either.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My wife suddenly has a desire for a revolver. Just got her a Bersa Thunder 380 as her EDC pistol, but she saw this sexy little Lady Smith .38 (S&W) with aluminum alloy frame and nice looking (cherry?) wood grips.

Would this be a good first revolver for her?

I thought the Ruger LCR (hammerless) looked pretty good as well.

Any comments choosing a first revolver?

Will probably be used as a range gun and also CCW.
I had the Ruger LCR in .357 but shot both .38 special, the .357 load had a kick that would leave my wrist throbbing after just 10 rounds. The 38 rounds were not bad at all. Loved the revolver no complaints over here, just had to sell it for something else I wanted, Id go for the LCR 38!!!! Forgot to mention trigger pull was excellent and smooth easy to conceal due the light weight frame

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Have her shoot a snubby before you buy her one.

In short, no--I do not believe a snubby is a good first revolver for anyone.
Agree, although it sounds like she's comfortable shooting a gun already. The Polymer revolvers are great, but are not as comfortable to shoot as the stainless ones. The Ruger SP101 is a great little revolver that's easy to shoot...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

Also agree. The 38 spl and 380 share very similar energy levels. On the plus side the 38 spl. shoots a much heavier bullet at lower velocity, so the recoil impulse occurs over a longer period of time, thus making it seem more of a shove than a punch. However, revolvers don't have a slide cycling to soak up a good portion of the recoil. Quite simply, don't be surprized if she finds the recoil a bit "too much", even with 38 spl..

Since sensitivity to recoil is very shooter dependent, I wouldn't purchase any of these lightweight revolvers without taking them for a test drive first.

·
Registered
19,924 Posts

nope.

no real sights.

I'd almost suggest a 3" SP101 but it's a hard gun to squeeze the most of out of it due to not really having a rear sight. A 4" barrel GP100 with some lighter mainspring options would be a cheap way to get hooked on wheel guns.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
I'll still disagree.

No whiz-bang lazar is going to help if the pistol is unpleasant to shoot, and causes one to not practice enough to get fundamentals down.

And I've shot these bodyguards...they are no more fun to shoot than any other light weight snubby.

A good learner's revolver is, imho, a 4 or 6" barreled .22; that, or a .38 in a similar length barrel, in an all steel pistol. S&W K frame or larger.

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
a lightweight revolver isn't designed with a woman in mind.

a lightweight trigger on a revolver however...

hell, I've got hands that seldom fit gloves and I don't want any part of more than a cylinder full of .357 mag in those little bastards.

·
Registered
748 Posts

As a motorcycling guy: my Airweight .38 hurts to shoot, with gloves (and a 3 finger grip).

I'll still disagree.

No whiz-bang lazar is going to help if the pistol is unpleasant to shoot, and causes one to not practice enough to get fundamentals down.

And I've shot these bodyguards...they are no more fun to shoot than any other light weight snubby.

A good learner's revolver is, imho, a 4 or 6" barreled .22; that, or a .38 in a similar length barrel, in an all steel pistol. S&W K frame or larger.
+1

idk if she likes girl guns but mine loves the charter arms pink lady they make then in diffrent colors and with internal hammer or with xternal hammer

Do NOT let her see this photo!! She'll see it, love it, shoot it once, and hate guns forever.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your wife has no issues with the Bersa Thunder 380 recoil, she should be good shooting a Lady Smith Model 60 with .38 spl or even .38 +P. It is a good small frame, light-weight revolver. Weight may be an once or two more than the Bersa. Nothing wrong with the Ruger LCR either.
Yeah, we got her the Bersa because she could not handle my XD9. Too much recoil and slide was too difficult for her to rack.

She does great with the 380.

How would the perceived recoil of a 38 snubby revolver compare? She does have limited strength in her hands and arms, so it can't have too much kick.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
81 Posts
HI SS, dont be fooled by sexy pistol is better thinking. Here's why;
wifey saw my subby, liked it, fired it, nope too much recoil
wifey saw my semi-auto's, fired some, nope too many dodads to remember when firing
wifey picked up my go-to revolver a S & W model 19 combat .357, fired it, loved it, smooth trigger, lighter recoil (at range, she has no idea what is going to happen when a full .357 magnum goes off with no ear protection :( )now its hers!

keep your powder dry,

Max

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The ideal first revolver should be a 4" S&W K-frame in 38 or 357.

Skip the snubbies...they are often difficult to shoot well. Skip the 6 inch or longer wheelies or the 44 mags or N-Frame Smiths....they are huge and unwieldy.

A Model 10, 65, 19 or 66 Smith is a revolver everyone should own and start out on. Accurate, well made and just a joy to shoot.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
Yeah, we got her the Bersa because she could not handle my XD9. Too much recoil and slide was too difficult for her to rack.

She does great with the 380.

How would the perceived recoil of a 38 snubby revolver compare? She does have limited strength in her hands and arms, so it can't have too much kick.

Thoughts??
I would definitely have her shoot the snubby. I think it will have a bit more (perceived) recoil than the Bersa, but not like an XD9.

Also, re her experience with your XD9, there are racking techniques that make it a lot easier for people with lesser upper body strength.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You definately want to have her test drive ANY light weight revolver before you buy. If she think an XD9 has too much recoil that Ladysmith will be way over the top. Personally, I find the recoil of my 32 ounce S&W model 67 shooting 38 spl. to be about equal to my brothers 24 ounce M&P 9mm. Out of a 24 ounce model 60 the 38 spl. is going to feel a bit stiffer than and XD40c.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts