Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted on another thread here, recently, I picked up a pretty small Kahr CW380 for those "less permissive" environments, as well as when I just want to have something to run to the store and don't want to put on a holster with a "full size" partner.

Am about 200 or so rounds through it now, and must say, I am very pleased with the gun. I have run some reloads through it, for the first 50 rounds, which did cause a few hiccups.... then a few hundred cheap "Silver Bear" zinc-coated..... and 50 or so Herters loads.

The reloads from GA Arms did give me a couple problems for the first 50 rounds, failure to go into battery mostly, but that was also because the gun hadn't been cleaned before I shot it. ( I know... I know.... you don't need to beat on me for that). After cleaning, the Silver Bear functioned almost flawlessly, with again, a very occasional failure to go into battery. With new brass, had no problems at all.

I think this will be a keeper. Most of my practice has been single hand, both strong and "weak" hand, and the little CW is just fine. It's a nice smooth shooter. It won't be my primary carry, that role with be the big brother CW40, or the XDM9c or M&P9c... but for when I need something... the CW380 will fit the bill.

Yes... pics or it didn't happen.... should have those for you later today or first thing tomorrow.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Good news. I bought one recently to fill the same role as you. I have 3 boxes of Federal FMJ though it with zero malfunctions. Next up will be a box of the Golden Saber as these are easily available, locally.

I see a great future in this tiny gun. I have already carried it on a few short trips with the Federal ammo. Not perfect but the penetration is there. I'd also like to test the Gold Dot and a couple of XTP loaded ammos as well.

Congrats on finding a really light weight summer gun. At about 12-13 oz's loaded, and 5" overall length; they are quite convenient!

Here is what I'd carry...all threads deserve many pictures. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good deal Jawjuh!! ..... good luck with yours. I have some Federal HST's coming and when I can find some will get the Speer Gold Dots. Also have some PMC Starfire, but have heard they could cause jamming problems... will report on those when the Kahr eats 'em.

I have to apologize for no pics yet...... current server has me blocked out of Photobucket, so will need to wait until I can get to a more agreeable connection.

Only problem I am going to have now I think is that my wife put her hands on my CW380 and now she wants to carry that. Really would prefer her to carry the M&P9c, but at least she will have something. Maybe a good reason for me to go shop for something else also??

Maybe that Norinco AK can follow me home now?? :) .... hard to conceal carry that though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Only problem I am going to have now I think is that my wife put her hands on my CW380 and now she wants to carry that. Really would prefer her to carry the M&P9c, but at least she will have something. Maybe a good reason for me to go shop for something else also??

Maybe that Norinco AK can follow me home now?? :) .... hard to conceal carry that though.
Norinco AK? I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Nice! I wish my wife would fall in love with my CW380. She's just not into guns at all.

As far as my Kahr goes, I was able to complete the break in period to my satisfaction today. I also found my new carry ammo. At least for the short term. My LGS has a really big supply of the HPR loading of the XTP bullet. Pretty reasonable at $27/50. I put a box through my gun with no issues. The videos I've seen, place this stuff above FMJ with consistent penetration and expansion. The HPR was in the top 3 or 4 loading of any 380 loads. Until I can find and test the Hornady Custom XTP load, this stuff will do. The Hornady stuff is supposed to be loaded 50-75 FPS hotter. The HPR was really mild to shoot and was accurate. BTW, I also tested the Golden Saber today. It worked flawlessly as well.

My Kahr is now "road ready". :cool:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way too long to get this done, but as promised, pics:

PIcked up some better quality ammo, some decent Federal hollow point self defense ammo, and have some Freedom Munitions range ammo coming in..... so far, makes it quite handy for those less permissive environments and when I don't want the full size "friend" with me.

Prefer the rounds of the XDM9c, or the increased power of the Kahr CW40.... but this will hopefully do the trick.

The holster is a Desantis pocket holster, that fits well, but moves around in the pocket pretty easily. Probably will need something like a Remora or "Sticky-Holster" for better carry.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Nice little gun, Congrats. I may very well add one of those someday too.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
It's almost hard to reason getting one when you have a CM9 though. They're smaller but not THAT much.

I'm a fat boy with big pockets though. Smaller framed shooters wanting to pocket carry it'll make a nice option.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice pictures WS!

Weight in a pocket is the biggest difference for me. The 380 weighs 12-13 loaded. The 9mm is right at 20. In a front pocket, that's a lot of difference to me. And the CW380 is small enough to carry in my jeans back pocket with a pocket holster. The CM's extra length sticks out enough to be seen. I'm not a big guy, however.

The CM would be fine 90% of the time (and for you bigger guys, maybe 100%). I just wanted one gun that I could literally take with me without having to adjust my wardrobe. I can see a time where a CM9 would replace my XDS. I'm really starting to love the Kahr lineup.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ DevJames..... I am with JawJuh....... the CM9 (and a couple of others I tried) are just too big for pocket carry for me. Wish I could do it, but doesn't work.

This little 380 does a great job of fitting into any pocket and pretty much disappearing.

Spent more range time with it yesterday, and it does a very good job. As accurate as I can make it. (My skill set is the determining factor there). out of more than 200 rounds fired, I had just one or two failure to go into battery, and those were with reman. ammo from Freedom Munitions.

That is a little bit of a concern to me, since I need a carry gun to be 100%. The gun had been cleaned and lubed with FrogLube for the first time, and I will use FL again on it when I can clean again.

The "new" ammo, Federal .380 hollow point, PPU hollow point ,and Herters FMJ all ran without any problems.

I prefer to carry my M&P9c, or XDM9c for round count, and the CW40 for a bit bigger round going down-range.... but for when I need to be a bit more discreet, this is working well.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I need to handle one. My PM9 makes a nice back pocket pistol (I keep a hard holder and money clip in my front pocket anyway, hate sitting on wallets when driving.

I really don't wanna have to buy .380 though!

My comment was more directed at snap as he's a CM9 owner :)

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts