Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a decent powder measure scale, preferably digital, that accurately measures small grain loads for a 9mm. round. I have the Lee balance powder measure and that thing does not seem accurate at all. If it is accurate, then I struggle messing with the cheap weights to dial in a load. I use a USPS scale for my current loads because it weighs gn.'s as well but only measures to the 1/10 of a grain in increments of .5. I could be at 5.8 grains and the scale will only tell me I'm at 5.5gn. Luckily I have been using 5.5gns of Unique in my loads and can work my way up till the scale just barely clicks from 5.0gn to 5.5. But If I want to start playing with my loads at all then this scale is not going to work.

So long story short, I just need a reasonably priced accurate digital scale that some people have had good luck with.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I used an RCBS Powder Pro digital scale for several years, before it crapped out on me. Found that the "Lifetime Warranty" was worthless. Bought the Frankford Arsenal Micro Scale @ $29.99 and have been extremely happy with it. It works better than the RCBS scale that it replaced, at 1/4 the price.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I use a Dillon, which is not what you want to hear. I have a problem trusting digital scales, as they seem to need a lot of recalibrating. Nothing is worse than weighing 100 charges and then seeing that the scale needs to be recalibrated. Usually 2 or 3 tenths but... I'll set up my powder measure with the electronic scale, but when it matters I use my RCBS balance beam scale.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are beam scales supposedly more accurate than digital scales of good quality? I just find it easier and faster to handle and use a digital scale, especially for the small 9mm loads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have any experience with the RCBS Rangemaster 750? It is a bit pricey but seems to get the best reviews of all the scales at Midway. Is there another scale that compares to the quality at a more reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Are beam scales supposedly more accurate than digital scales of good quality? I just find it easier and faster to handle and use a digital scale, especially for the small 9mm loads.
Are beam scales more accurate, don't know for sure but you do get what you pay for. Like I stated, digital scales "float" and they need to be recalibrated often. Problem is, by the time you notice it, it's usually too late. I do not feel that weighing each charge is worthwhile for pistol calibers like the 9mm. Get a decent powder measure, test it until you decide if you trust it, and then use it. You will be hard pressed to see an accuracy advantage weighing out every charge.

No matter what scale you decide on, get a set of check weights and test out the scale.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
The Rangemaster is worth the money. The earlier comments about digital scales are true for lesser scales. In general, in this industry, I find you get what you pay for. Your problem is to define your requirement.

I use Dillon. I would use the RCBS. I would not choose the FA. It's gonna require a lot of help.....don't get me wrong, I have an FA caliper, but that's a much simpler technology.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used an RCBS Powder Pro digital scale for several years, before it crapped out on me. Found that the "Lifetime Warranty" was worthless. Bought the Frankford Arsenal Micro Scale @ $29.99 and have been extremely happy with it. It works better than the RCBS scale that it replaced, at 1/4 the price.
+1
I use the micro as well, check it from time to time against a RCBS beam scale and it's right on.At 30 bucks it's pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Great theorizing about the micro, from somebody who's never used one. I frequently check mine with the checkweight. It never needs recalibrating, and it's always dead-on. It doesn't need as much "help" as the more expensive RCBS Powder Pro needed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I, use the Dillon Terminator and its working good form. Holds zerro good.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The Rangemaster is worth the money. The earlier comments about digital scales are true for lesser scales. In general, in this industry, I find you get what you pay for. Your problem is to define your requirement.

I use Dillon. I would use the RCBS. I would not choose the FA. It's gonna require a lot of help.....don't get me wrong, I have an FA caliper, but that's a much simpler technology.
I tried a FA digital calipers & it crapped out after a couple of weeks. Nope, no more FA stuff for me, you do often get what you pay for. I have a Dillon, love it. It zeros quickly & holds it. If it craps out after a year, they'll replace it for 1/2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts