Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently offered a Colt 1911 Government model. Less than 100 rounds put through it with. It is the black version. The guy was asking 700 or a even trade for my XDm .40. Any thoughts on if this sounds good? Truly the only 1911's i'm familiar with are the kimber and sa versions. Deal or No Deal?

Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I'm not sure that I'd part with $700 for it ... But I might swap a XDm for a Colt 1911, if the 1911 looked good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Need more info. Is it really a Colt or another manufacturer? Need the exact model. Many Colt M1991A1 are available for $500 or less. Many of the clones are even less. Or it may be a pristine Series 70 Government Model in which case this is an excellent deal.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I would agree with the above--if it's a Series 70, yes; if it's a Series 80, no, and if it's a 1991A1, definitely not.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I would agree with the above--if it's a Series 70, yes; if it's a Series 80, no, and if it's a 1991A1, definitely not.
My old 1991 A1 stainless went 30,000 rounds without a problem, replaced recoil springs that's it. I sold it 3 years ago and it still gets regular workouts from the guy who bought it. There is nothing wrong with a series 80 Colt.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I would suggest before you decide, you and your buddy should take the pistol to a gunsmith who can appraise its value and condition or blue book it to see what it is actually worth. Either option would give you an idea if the pistol is actually worth $700 and would give a starting point for negotiation of a price.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out it was a model 80. I appreciate the advice everyone, i turned down the trade and the option to buy it. Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the Colt looks and works like new I'd have swapped even up. Then I'd stick my new investment in the safe, sit back and let it continue to increase in value. A Colt MKIV Series 80 Government Model in 98%+ condition is definitely worth more than a XDm, and should keep going up in value (as long as it's kept in new or near new condition).

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Depends...

If this is a blued 5" Series 70 re-issue....RUN...don't walk the XDM over to this guy and go home happy! These are usually very nice shooters...old school cool and they will hold their value, as most see "Series 70" on a Colt 1911 and immediately think its better than a Series 80 gun. The appeal alone of a Series 70 Colt makes it definately worth 700 bucks.

If this is a standard blued Colt Govt. Model Series 80...I'd probably still do it, as you'd be VERY hard pressed to find one new or nearly new for 700 bucks. It will still hold its value and despite what others say, the Series 80 guns CAN have good triggers and they're generally made with less MIM parts than Kimbers, Springfields or most other 1911s in its class.

If this is one of the "M1991A1" blued Series 80 guns with the wood grips...maybe. You can SOMETIMES get these versions of the Colt 1911 for around 700 bucks new, but you'd really have to do some work. These are good shooters (I used to have one) but they usually fetch less on th used market because they do not say "Govt. Model" or "Gold Cup" on th slides. This line CAN be built into a very nice cutsom gun and make for a good base start.

Your call...but just about ANY Colt 1911 is never a bad buy and you can almost always get your money back out of them.

I'd probably do it...especially knowing the previous owner and knowing for sure its nearly new.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
250 Posts
Depends...

If this is a standard blued Colt Govt. Model Series 80...I'd probably still do it, as you'd be VERY hard pressed to find one new or nearly new for 700 bucks. It will still hold its value and despite what others say, the Series 80 guns CAN have good triggers and they're generally made with less MIM parts than Kimbers, Springfields or most other 1911s in its class.
Just for clarification (of my post), this is the gun he described --- or at least that's the way I read it. If the pistol is something else (like, say, a 1991-A1) then the story is way different!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it was a Govt. Model Series 80. It was in excellent condition and cared for very well by the previous owner who is a retired police officer. I told him no to the trade and no to the cash, but he came back at me today at 600 for it (as he needs the cash) I'll probably pick it up tomorrow if for nothing else to help him out.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Need more info. Is it really a Colt or another manufacturer? Need the exact model. Many Colt M1991A1 are available for $500 or less. Many of the clones are even less. Or it may be a pristine Series 70 Government Model in which case this is an excellent deal.

When I can I find a selection of Colt M1991A1 pistols for $500 or less?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
An almost new Colt Govt Model Series 80 blued....definately worth 600 bucks...go get it! You can BARELY get a used M1991A1 for that money.

They can be made into very good shooters. My brother has a Series 80 Govt. that he had tuned by Teddy Jacobsen and I really cannot tell the difference in trigger pull in that piece and my 1970 Combat Commander. If the right smith does the trigger....the 80 Series can be made very sweet!

Besides...its a Colt. If you just bought it and oiled it up and put in in the safe for 5-10 years...you'll get your money back at the very least. That is the good thing about Colt 1911s.

Might as well have the original article....right?

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He also has an Colt officers model series 80 as well, wants to know what i'll give for it. He said he'd like to have 400 for it, any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Maybe for a clone, but you are hard pressed to find even a ANIB for less than $700 today.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Good grief!

Hell yes...grab the Officers Model while you're at it. Another total steal if its in good shape.

If you don't want it...I'd give him 400 cash for the thing, plus pay to ship it here.

Why can't these people live near me? LOL

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
well i ended up with both of them, plus a m14 he had and a couple hk pistols and a sig p225 he had. All were pretty good deals, I'll likely sell most of them on the site when i'm able to start a topic in the trading post. Thanks everyone for you help.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If the Officers Model is in really in very good shape and not "altered" by a creative smith and you still want to unload it for VERY close to what you paid for it (gunbroker Obama prices are not something I do, sorry)...PM me...I might want it! (I have the cash for it!)

...seriously!

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
well i ended up with both of them, plus a m14 he had and a couple hk pistols and a sig p225 he had. All were pretty good deals, I'll likely sell most of them on the site when i'm able to start a topic in the trading post. Thanks everyone for you help.
Sounds like you got a bunch of neat guns. Please post pics so we can all hate you for the wonderful collection. By hate I mean jealous, by which I mean we are all glad you got such a great deal, by which I mean it sucks that you got the great deal and we didn't..... well you get the idea. Congrats and post pics or it didn't happen.

Chapie+

1 - 20 of 20 Posts