Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the range once a week and shoot 150-200 rounds of 9mm and 45acp in my xdmc9mm and my favorite xd45c. I went today and shot absolutely awful with both guns! This would have been a really good day to be a BG, I'd probably miss. Last week I was holding my regular reasonably accurate groups. The week before that I was just so-so. What's up with that? Ran throught the 7 fundamentals of marksmanship in my head and seemed to be doing pretty much every thing except I wasn't holding on my follow thru long enough before I reset. Still I shoot like..........terible. Any suggestions to improve my consistancy(sp?) Thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Go back to the range. Set your target at 5 yds (15') or 7 yds (21') and shoot. If all your shots hit within a 10" to 15" diameter that's going to take care of any BG that gets into your house in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement. I have'nt had any trouble at all at close ranges,7-10yds 4-6" groups consistantly with WWB, it's when I get past 10 yards or so that my shooting goes south on me...I feel it's trigger control but not quite sure how to isolate my trigger finger for a smooth shot. I really get frustrated when shots start going every which away and not where I'm aiming when I put the target at 15-20 yards.. Suggestions gratefully welcome. P.S. I've been shooting a handgun less than a year so I really am open to advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can you post up pics of some of your targets? As a new shooter, I would be interested in seeing your results, along with what others recommend to improve based on the pics.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Can you post up pics of some of your targets? As a new shooter, I would be interested in seeing your results, along with what others recommend to improve based on the pics.
+1 Post some pics, if possible.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I have'nt had any trouble at all at close ranges,7-10yds 4-6" groups consistantly with WWB, it's when I get past 10 yards or so that my shooting goes south on me...I feel it's trigger control but not quite sure how to isolate my trigger finger for a smooth shot. I really get frustrated when shots start going every which away and not where I'm aiming when I put the target at 15-20 yards.. Suggestions gratefully welcome. P.S. I've been shooting a handgun less than a year so I really am open to advice.

Check out this shooting error chart. Depending on where your shots are landing, it'll give you some idea what's happening.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/shooting%20chart%20for%20errors/rustygun3030/correctionchart.jpg

Could also be a vision thing. I'm also consistent at 7-10 yds but my glasses don't quite give me the needed clarity at 15-20 yds.

If you wear glasses you might need a new prescription. If you don't wear glasses you might need them for shooting.

If you can't fix the problem with the shooting chart, then get an eye exam just to make sure.

Don't let it bother you, could happen at any age. I was in my late 30s when I started wearing glasses. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to study how to post pics and will take some pics next Wednesday.(range day) I DO wear glasses,putting 60 yrs behind you will do that, and you may have made a very good suggestion since focusing on the front sight and getting a really sharp image doesn't happen. Just for the record, I'm not looking to win bulls eye contsts but would like to be able to shoot nice 4" or so groups at other than tactical distances. (6-20') Any and all suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to study how to post pics and will take some pics next Wednesday.(range day) I DO wear glasses,putting 60 yrs behind you will do that, and you may have made a very good suggestion since focusing on the front sight and getting a really sharp image doesn't happen. Just for the record, I'm not looking to win bulls eye contsts but would like to be able to shoot nice 4" or so groups at other than tactical distances. (6-20') Any and all suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've shot for over 50 years. many times on a hi power range next to David Tubb. on some days you can shoot X rings and some you can't hit the barn walls from the inside. when that happens just say "bad day" and look forward to the next time. its your avg. that tells you where your at. as any one can shoot a one hole group with one shot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts