Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go with something for close quarters and then add a magnifier in case I need to snipe something up to 100-150 yds.

after seeing some posts here I am thinking this

Sightmark SM13041 Tactical Red Dot Sight

with one of these

Sightmark 3x Tactical Magnifier for Weapon Sights (SM19020)

mounted to one of these

Sightmark Flip-to-Side 30mm Mount - SM19023

is 3x enough for the magnifier or should I use the 5x?

what about the combo together? will the flip to side mount work with this combo?

your thoughts?

trying not to spend more than 250.00 on a complete package if possible

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I would probably go with a Primary Arms Micro Dot in that price range, because I don't know anything about the sightmark.

Although it's tough with an 8MOA dot I don't think most people really need a magnifier until they get over 150 yds. In the group of 11 guys I shoot with only 2 can't pop a milk jug at 150 yd with the 1-3 MOA red dots on our ARs/XCRs/M1As. They are both new to guns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go with a primary arms dot setup. The 8 MOA on that sightmark is going to cover 8" at 100yds. Add some magnification and the dot gets even larger. The smaller the dot is, the more precise your shots will get. I think you can get a PA dot in the 2-3 moa range.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
8 MOA is far too large for me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Like stated above the 8moa is way to big. When you add a magnifier it gets larger. I have a PA micro dOt and could not be more pleased. I don't see why people pay $400+ for a red dot sight. If I was going to war or building a dirt rifle I would go EOtech maybe but that's just for durability. My micro dot is fast and easy to use. The dot is clear and bright as well. It also co-witnesses my flip up sights with the QD riser.

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I origionally didn't notice the dot size of 8, After looking @ dot sizes, yes 8 is to big, you guys are correct. Looks like PA is a good preferred choice.

Will it mount up nice with the fore mentioned magnifier?

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
i would go with primary arms. If you want to magnify they make a 2 MOA version so it wont be so large when magnified like the 4 MOA. However 4 MOA is faster to pick acquire instead of a finer dot.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I would also go with a 3 moa micro, but I'd recommend Bushnell, rather than Primary Arms. Main reason? Bushnell offers lifetime warranty. They're essentially the same devices.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would also go with a 3 moa micro, but I'd recommend Bushnell, rather than Primary Arms. Main reason? Bushnell offers lifetime warranty. They're essentially the same devices.
I was just looking @ the PA warranty of a year, you answered my next 30 min google search, thank you

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
This is a good option if you have it in your budget. I'm not sure, but they were having a special at authorized Nikon dealers to give away a free M223 mount with purchase of an M223 scope. They run in the $200-$300 range. I have the 2-8X version and I love it.

Not sure of your budget but by the time you buy a cheap red dot, magnifier and mounts, you could have a high quality Nikon M-223 1-4X20 scope that is ideal for three gun and all around shooting out to 200 yds.

Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Point Blank Reticle Matte

·
Registered
702 Posts
you could look at getting a lucid hd7. they can be purchased with a screw in 2x magnifier or quick flip 3x magnifier. lifetime warranty, 4 diff reticles, uses 3A battery 1000 hour use. treated me well so far for a budget optic.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so now you guys have me really thinking, thanks for all the great options so far.

I found the sight mark magnifier on sale local, went ahead and picked it up, it can be returned if need be.

you could look at getting a lucid hd7. they can be purchased with a screw in 2x magnifier or quick flip 3x magnifier. lifetime warranty, 4 diff reticles, uses 3A battery 1000 hour use. treated me well so far for a budget optic.

Do you have a link for this one, my google skills seem to be lacking today, I see them in google shopping, but that's about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This is a good option if you have it in your budget. I'm not sure, but they were having a special at authorized Nikon dealers to give away a free M223 mount with purchase of an M223 scope. They run in the $200-$300 range. I have the 2-8X version and I love it.
Agreed. I just ordered a 2-8x with the BDC reticle on that deal. I have an EOTech on a quick-release mount for day to day/HD use. and now a Nikon for hunting.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts