Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I will be using my Kimber for my carry piece in the near future, and I had some questions about grips. The TLE came with the standard black rubber grips, which provide excellent texture, but I am worried about them grabbing my shirt, or otherwise showing themselves.
I have been searching many sites, and I keep seeing people swear by every sort of grip for carry. I'm partial to a good looking smooth wood grip, but I have also recently been turned on to alumagrip smooth grips.
Anyone have experience with these? Or is there something else I am overlooking? I'd love to have some elegant burled wood grips, but that may be out of my price range at the moment. I did notice Kimber had a smooth rosewood grip on their site for a pretty low price.
Oh, and are "slim" grips worth the extra price? It is a full-size Kimber, so I'm not too sold with an extra fraction of an inch.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well that's like asking do you like red or blue for a car color?....

You're going to get all sorts of answers. ;)

The correct one is what do you like?
What feels good in your hands, is secure and you're not going to drop it if your hands are wet, muddy or whatever.

I carry a Kimber daily. Black rubber grips that came with it.
I prefer those.
I've tried checkered wood and smooth. Again, I'm back to the black rubber. Not plastic.
Don't have any issues with it snagging on anything and is a positive grip surface.

I don't have any safe queens so take that to the store with ya.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I found out for me that the most comfortable shooting grips Houge rap arounds with finger grooves, are the ones that I ccw. the rubber grips have never grabbed my clothing, and I find that I get a quicker target sight with the grips (the gun sits more naturally in my hand)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I use alumagrips on my Detonics Servicemaster. I carry it every day and have never had an issue. They are my favorite grips to use hands down. It may not be your style but these things will stick to your hands every time you unholster your gun.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I suppose I'll leave the black rubber stock grips on until my Brigade holster arrives, I won't be CCing this till I get it. If you say you have luck with it I will give it a try...but those alumagrips are pretty sweet themselves!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I found out for me that the most comfortable shooting grips Houge rap arounds with finger grooves, are the ones that I ccw. the rubber grips have never grabbed my clothing, and I find that I get a quicker target sight with the grips (the gun sits more naturally in my hand)
+1

I use these on my Kimber Stainless Pro Carry. They give a good grip and my hand conforms to them naturally. The Kimber is my summer CCW and I really like the Hogues on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts