Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about a bolt action rifle in .308 Anyone have experiences with the Remmy 700 SPS? Its $485 on Buds Gun Shop. Also AIM surplus has a 80s German .308 surplus ammo deal where its $210 for 500 rnds in a .50 can. Any other recommendations for a rifle? Thanks

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I LOVE my SPS Varmint in .308. I swapped to a HS precision stock and sold the one ic came off. If you look around, you can find new HS (take-off) for $100-150.

A 10 shot group with an adjustment made in the middle

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
dont forget savage. i think savage is the best value in bolt action rifles. cheap . and very accurate. Plus the accu-trigger is AMAZING!
i got a savage 7mm remington mag at walmart for $370 and it KICKS A$$

now if you want to spend a little more check out the savage 10FP (i believe) its the heavy barrel version and i think some come with an upgraded stock

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I use Burris Signature Zee rings on all my rifles. They work well, even without having the word "tactical" in their name, and the plastic inserts don't screw up your scope, and you don't have to lap your rings. If you need to, you can buy offset rings and add a MOA adjustment to your scope without having to buy a Farrell or EGW type base.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I used a Leatherwood 0 moa rail and Burris X-Treme rings. I lapped mine in and I can promise you that my scope will be destroyed long before the scope would move in them.

The trigger on a 700 can be adjusted to a very light and crsip pull. Tomfoolery can vouche for how light and crisp mine is. I think mine is around 1 3/4 to 2 lbs.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The SPS Varmint in 308 is an excellent rifle for the money, easily capable of Sub-MOA accuracy with good ammo and/or handloads. The only problem is the crappy SPS stock. Like ichy trigger said...you can pick up the HS Precision stocks for very little money and it is an upgrade worth doing.

Also, if you want to forget having to worry about the stock swap, look for a good 700 VS (Varmint Synthetic...or VSS = Stainless...or VS SF = Stainless fluted) in .308 which already includes the higher quality HS stock.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Look at a Savage, they are a great buy for the money

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Either rifle will work. Personally, I have a Savage 10FCP in an HS Precision stock w/Accu-trigger (breaks right at 2lbs) and I couldn't be happier with it.

For rings and bases, I recommend Farrell Industries for one-piece bases (0, 10, 15 and 20MOA are available). He makes really nice (but really expensive) rings, too.

I'll second what ichy said about the Burris Xtreme rings, but I'll also offer-up the TSR rings from Tactical Precision Systems (TPS). I've used them on the last two builds and they seriously kick-ass.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Next purchase is a Savage 12vss in 308...Starting point for long range competition...

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats the difference with the precision stock and the factory one that some of yall have upgraded to? Attachments?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Here is a pic of my Savage 10FCP in HS Precision stock that I mentioned before:

It has the Farrell base and TPS rings.

The plain-jane Savage synthetic stock is flimsy as hell. The single best modification you can make to a synthetic Savage rifle is replace the stock (or order one from the factory with a better stock).

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
i'm also mulling over getting a bolt action .308. i was looking at the remington 700's, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Recently picked up a Howa 1500 with carbon fiber barrel and Hogue synthetic stock light as a feather and recoil is no issue at with such a light rig, seems the heaviest part is the scope!!! Nikko sterling Nighteater 3-12X56 illuminated

Terry

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
whats the difference with the precision stock and the factory one that some of yall have upgraded to? Attachments?
The stock on the 700 SPS Varmint and other SPS models is...well...kinda cheap. It is not of the highest quality, is fairly lightweight and has a thin grip and forend area. It is mostly a sporter/hunting type stock.

The HS Precision stock is factory issue on the Remington 700P (Police) and PSS (Police Sniper System) and other custom factory Remingtons. It is a heavy-duty figerglass/kevlar reinforced composite material, with a full-length aluminum pillar bedding block, two forward and one rear swivel studs, a wide forend and larger/palm swell pistol grip.

There are other HS Precision stocks such as those that came on previous 700 Varmint models that are also available but usually have a slightly thinner forend and only one forward and one rear swivel stud. They are also often found in a sand or light brown color and not just black. There were also some floating around not long ago with a black/grey and black/green spiderweb pattern.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Remington .308 PSS. 6.5x20 Leupold target dot and hand loads. Same hole with 10 shells at 100 yards. You can't see paper frays. Bedded with a trigger job. An unbeleiveable out of box rifle.

·
Registered
29,601 Posts
FNHPBR XP, Badger Ordinance rings, Leupold MkIV/LRT.

I'm waiting for the glass, and then I'll put'er together.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
was gandering at gander mtn and saw they made a 30-06 version. I do eventually want to get an M1 Garand so im somewhat tempted on this caliber. .308 is a shortened 30-06 correct? Would there be any advantage to use 30-06 over .308?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The 30-06 was the hot ticket for a long time. Ballistically about the same as a 308. If you want an advantage, get something in a 6.5 or 7mm, a lot better BCs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts