Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to keep my sc9 loaded with gold dot 124gr +Ps, so I've been pricing them for a few days. I came to accept that I was going to pay ~$12/box of 20. I went out to my local shop and found the non +P for $14/box of 20. A little further down the case I found 50 round boxes of the 124gr +P for a mere $22. The shop had labeled all of these boxes, "Not for sale to law enforcement."

I asked the guy there why that was and he said the local law enforcement wasn't allowed to use +P. I went ahead and picked up 2 boxes and dumped them downrange to verify their reliability.

What I'm trying to find out here: Is there some reason why this ammo would have been priced so much lower then the non +P? Was that guy correct about LEOs not allowed to use +P here in Phoenix?

Thanks,
UD.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
UberDuper said:
I intend to keep my sc9 loaded with gold dot 124gr +Ps, so I've been pricing them for a few days. I came to accept that I was going to pay ~$12/box of 20. I went out to my local shop and found the non +P for $14/box of 20. A little further down the case I found 50 round boxes of the 124gr +P for a mere $22. The shop had labeled all of these boxes, "Not for sale to law enforcement."

I asked the guy there why that was and he said the local law enforcement wasn't allowed to use +P.
What a load of BS. Either someone is just making crap up in their head to explain what they don't understand or someone is lying.

My guess is they don't really know why it says that so they're just making stuff up.

Here's the story from a glocktalk thread from someone who called and asked speer about it. ammoman.com often sells this stuff and the reports that I've heard on it are all good:

I've wondered about this ammo myself so I just took my own advice and called Speer direct. I spoke with customer service and was told that the ammo was pulled back after reports of failure from a single law enforcement agency, he wouldn't say which one. And that after inspection the ammo was found to have a failure rate of roughly one per fifty thousand. He said the problem was found to be "line pops" his exact words. Which he explained as during the manufacturing process the primer is detonated while being seated in the case.
brad cook

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh. I've heard there's some mystery around some particular 9mm gold dot ammo. It's all the +P? Even current run stuff?

Thanks,
UD.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The same thread on GT was claiming speer reported 1 in 50,000 failure rate due to misfires on non-foil primers. Regarldess, I tend to believe that 1 in 50,000 chances of getting a round that doesn't fire is well above what I consider acceptable. Like guns, anything mechanical can fail...so can explosives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a box of those up at bear
arms,they shot just fine but i
prefer 115gr +P gold dots from
Black Hills.If the guy was yaking
about the phoenix police they switched to 40 S&W a few years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts