Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me folks(still new to the ammo world after 2 yrs), but is there really a difference between the short and regular 124gr +P???

I apparently picked up the std size over the short barrel for my G26 and my shield.I didn't know there was a short out there...my fault.Did some research and the two vids i found it didn't make much of a difference at all.Just wondering if i should shell out some $$$ for the short barrel or just keep the ones that i have.

Thanks, just wanna be sure.

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
if your pistol is reliable with the ones you have, and you like the accuracy and control...they'll do just fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and btw, i have three boxes of Federal HST's on hand that i have loaded up and carry as well.Maybe i should just pick up another box of those instead?

:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if your pistol is reliable with the ones you have, and you like the accuracy and control...they'll do just fine.
So far i only put 10 rds thru my G26 and it fed and performed great.I'm sure the Shield will do just fine as well.

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
HST's, Gold Dots...both are good.

Run whichever you prefer; the differences are angels dancing on pinheads.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Oh and btw, i have three boxes of Federal HST's on hand that i have loaded up and carry as well.Maybe i should just pick up another box of those instead?

:D
Picking SD ammo is like picking toilet paper, most of them get the job done but every a-hole likes something different.

If your EDC runs the the HSTs and you're happy with the results, stay with them. The Gold Dots run great through my Sig 938 so I kept shooting them. I didn't even notice the short barreled version until I was 200 range rounds deep so I stuck with what worked. Fortunately, most of us will never get to experience how great SD ammo "works".

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picking SD ammo is like picking toilet paper, most of them get the job done but every a-hole likes something different.

If your EDC runs the the HSTs and you're happy with the results, stay with them. The Gold Dots run great through my Sig 938 so I kept shooting them. I didn't even notice the short barreled version until I was 200 range rounds deep so I stuck with what worked. Fortunately, most of us will never get to experience how great SD ammo "works".
Great points, makes perfect sense.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts

This ^^^.

You really should get Critical Duty, you know, because it just sounds good :lol:

Just joking!

I was carrying 230gr HST's in .45 and 124gr Gold Dot's in my 9mm. Last year I consolidated to strictly HST. All my guns fed both reliably.

My LGS sells 25 round boxes of 9mm HST in cute little froo-froo boxes for $27.99. I can buy a 50 round box (at Ammunition Depot) in an ugly ol' plain box for $28.97! The shipping isn't bad, and I always buy several boxes to help offset it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chris, I have a 9mm Shield and have fired both the regular GDHP 124 gr +P as well as the Short Barrel version and there's no appreciable differences to be seen or felt. The SB is also a +P.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, i didn't think it'd make much difference, but getting others insight is a plus

I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Here's the description from Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun
It's up to you whether you feel it makes a difference to your decision.

Packing a short barrel once meant less velocity and less reliable expansion. Speer’s specialized ammunition designed for back-up guns was designed to work in 2-inch barrels. We redesigned select Gold Dot bullets to make the cavity larger for reliable expansion at the reduced velocities common to short barrel handguns. You also get less "kick" to keep you on target when wielding sharp snapping .357 and .44 Magnum revolvers. And if a semi-auto is your gun of choice, our offerings are ideal for expansion in barrels as short as three inches.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement.
Comes with:
Practice, Practice, Practice.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Sorry, but absolutely not true. Many months ago I use to think the same way but my research has yielded a different opinion today.

HSTs are non-bonded bullets and Gold Dots are bonded bullets. In a short barrel pistol (e.g. 3.5" or less in 9mm, 4" or less in 45 acp) non-bonded HST bullets have more reliable expansion than Gold Dots. We've seen this in many different tests and it is the specific reason why Speer had to come out with a short-barrel version of their pistol ammo. The minimum velocity window needed for expansion to occur is higher in the Gold Dot's than the HST. And the use of a short-barrel gun can cause velocity to drop below the minimum velocity window.

All Gold Dot short-barrel ammo uses a faster burning powder than their standard ammo to increase bullet velocity in short-barrel guns. In short-barrel pistols/revolvers, depending on the barrel rifling, there is added bullet velocity from the use of their short barrel ammo, and sometimes not.

Also, some of the Gold Dot bullets used in their short barrel ammo have a slightly different design than their standard ammo. For example, to aid in expansion, the Gold Dot 45 acp bullet in short barrel ammo has a slightly different design than their standard 45 acp bullet. However, Gold Dot's 9mm bullet used in short barrel ammo is exactly the same as the one used in their standard ammo. The reason for this is that the 45 acp has a comparatively lower velocity out of a short-barrel gun and need more help in expansion beyond just the faster burning poweder in their short-barrel ammo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use 180gr Speer Gold Dot for short barrel in my XD40SC since it has a 3" barrel. My subcompact is not picky about the JHP that I use and so I have the 180gr HST and regular 180gr Speer Gold Dot rounds as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts