Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So damn excited! I've decided that I want to own a semi auto .308 after owning a bolt .308 and it's going to be an AR10 style. Is there one brand that is preffered over the other? Bushmaster, Armalite? ect? It will be a few weeks out still, so i'm gathering all of the info I can, as I still have to sell a few rifles that I currently own, going to sell the .308 bolt, the AK, and a 12ga nova pump. I am kinda hoping to find one already done up, as I dumped about $1600 into my bolt gun, and will NEVER see that out of it when it comes time to sell it. My long range stuff is done, but I am just wanting a semiauto .308 to play with, take in the woods in case I encounter a bear as they run rabid around my hood :lol

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Good friend mine has an AR10. I believe that's Armalite's name for their .308 AR. I've shot my friends. Nothing I'd ever want, as I'm enamored with the 5.56, and just don't enjoy the expense of the .308 nor the thump every time I shoot it! :cool:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Outside of building one up yourself, in that price range you are looking at a DPMS or an Armalite. I believe the overall quality of the Armalite is better. I own an older AR-10A2 (pre-2000) and it has give me no trouble. I have shot an handled the DPMS ones, and they are ok. Magazines will be your biggest issue. The DPMS uses the older SR-25 style mag, which PMAG makes for about $20. Armalite used a modified M1A mag, but now has a much newer and better one. They are $35 from Armalite.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Still undecided on what brand, I think I want to go with Armalite...... Should be a fun one to customized. Prob goign to go with a 16" barrel, and i'd like to fine one already done.....
Good friend mine has an AR10. I believe that's Armalite's name for their .308 AR. I've shot my friends. Nothing I'd ever want, as I'm enamored with the 5.56, and just don't enjoy the expense of the .308 nor the thump every time I shoot it! :cool:
It's not too bad (the price of .308) about $1 a round for Federal match grade stuff. I've got about 600 168gr Fed match, so i'll be off to a good start. Plus with a buddy that reloads.......woot!

·
Registered
838 Posts
LMT advertises quite a bit on theirs. Pricey but looks nice.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the "main" differences in the DPMS and Armalite? Looking at the DPMS, it looks to be a few hundred cheaper, which isn't always a bad thing :D I've ran some google searches, but a lot is blocked from my work :( My budget is going to be about $1500 for now.....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn these things are IMPOSSIBLE to find local. I've got $1,500 burning a hole in my pocket! Kinda hesitant to order one online, as I'd like to have it in my hands before throwing that kind of money on the table.....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'd go Armalite, not being bias because I own an armalite m15 alright. I would just pick the Armalite for an AR10 because that is the company I have always wanted on from. They are super reliable weapons and its the company that pretty much started it all.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
cough... 6.5 Grendel... cough
cough-cough...6.8SPC....cough-cough :grin:

Also I'm shocked that someone above mentioned Armalite AR10 and "super reliable" in the same sentence. The only two guys I know with them would not make that association. Certainly not as reliable as even a middling AR15, much less a top line rifle.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have never heard of any negative comments about the Armalite AR10 from people that own them. Or the DPMS SASS a buddy of mine owns. But maybe that's because its a $2000 rifle. lol

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ordered an Armalite AR10 A4C yesterday, that hopefully should be here next week. Dunno though, I am having to hold the company's hand that I ordered it fom though so far......but we'll see, they may surprise me.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Congrats man! Any reason you picked the Armalite? I hope all works great for you.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
NOTE: NOT compatible with Armalite AR-10, Noveske N6, Rock River Arms LAR8, FN SCAR 17S or any other rifles that utilize M14 type, FN FAL, or HK 91/G3 magazines.
These rifles above will not take the PMAG, my brother owns an ARMLIGHT AND HATES THE FACT HE CAN'T GET PMAGS FOR IT!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats man! Any reason you picked the Armalite? I hope all works great for you.
Main reason was I was tired of looking all over only to find nothing :D And this one was what I wanted as far as the gas block on the front, collapsable stock, shell deflector, dust cover, forward assist, and a 16" barrel. Hopefully I'll see it next week!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think you will be happy. If I went with an AR style 308, it'd be a Armalite or the DPMS SASS.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts