Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to my first shoot this weekend and don't really know what to expect. I've read through the rules and joined IDPA. Now I have a few questions. How many mags should I take? How much amo will I need to take? If I'm shooting my 9mm can I bring my 40 in case I need a back up? Is there an oppertunity to reclaim spent brass? Thanks for any heads up info that will help me show up prepared

·
Registered
62 Posts
First rule, relax and have fun.
You need a minimum of 3 mags. Take all you have.
Most local matches are less than 100 rounds.
Take your 40 if you feel you need a backup. I can't remember off the top of my head if you can match that switch.

Have fun, be safe

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Have fun, be safe, go slow the 1st time out, and get your hits. 3 mags is right and 18 rds per stage max. Provided the backup gun is the same type and legal in that division you should have no problem if you need to change weapons. Let us know your thoughts on the game after you've shot the 1st one. Most importantly be safe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IDPA is a fun sport, you should have a good time. As already stated, three mags are all you need. Two on your belt and one for your gun. Tell them you are new when you get there because most clubs have a new shooter orientation before the match. Most ranges are "cold" which means guns are unloaded with magazine removed until you are told to load and make ready at the fireing line. The brass policy varies at different clubs but most local matches give you a chance to pick it up, just ask. The most important thing is to just go slow, be safe and have fun. Try to be smooth and get off good shots. Don't be in a hurry or try to go fast, plenty of time for that later. IDPA guys are some of the nicest I have met and are willing to answer any questions you might have, once again just ask. A good thing to remember is that IDPA matches are run by volunteers who give up their time to do it. Getting there early to help set up or staying late for tear down is a great way to make friends fast. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I picked up a 3rd mag for the 40 today so I'll have enough for the xd9sc and the xdm40.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I've found that 6 mags loaded at all times works best. If there is a malfunction, grabbing more mags and do it again. Sometimes the equipment messes up and it is always best to be ready.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's it, I'm hooked! I had a great time and except for one station that I just couldn't seem to get the center hits, but kept trying LOL. Learned that it's better to take the .5 sec. penalty than swiss cheese the target. Anyway, I finished 10th out of 16 shooters overall. As for the brass, everyone came out and helped tape targets and pick up brass after the range was cleared. Besides, I showed up early to help set up and they let me pick up about 400 rounds of spent 40 brass that the LEO's left on the range :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm glad you had fun. It is a great sport to get in to. With a little experience you learn when it is better to make up a shot or just let it go. It sounds like you shot well too placing 10th out of 16. Try to take away from the match something you did well and can feel good about and something you need to work on. Keep up the good work and let us know how you are doing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, I'll be sure to post again after the next shoot. This club has only been doing IDPA for about a year, but they seem to be a great bunch of guys and willing to share what they've learned.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Seems like that could be a good teaching tool for real life situations, especially for an LEO. Not to mention that it looks freaking awesome!
My finances are a little tight right now, but what is involved in shooting IDPA? I assume there is some form of range or club membership, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Glad to hear the 1st time was a good one. It only gets better and definitely gives you a reason to practice and do a lot more shooting. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like that could be a good teaching tool for real life situations, especially for an LEO. Not to mention that it looks freaking awesome!
My finances are a little tight right now, but what is involved in shooting IDPA? I assume there is some form of range or club membership,

For the idpa membership and fees for the day was 55, very reasonable and a good way to meet some good people too.

I already shoot quite a bit, this will change the way I shoot though

·
Registered
340 Posts
My finances are a little tight right now, but what is involved in shooting IDPA? I assume there is some form of range or club membership,

I think a year membership is $40ish.

At my local club that I shoot at, the entrance fee to shoot the IDPA event is $15.

Bring $15 and a little over 100 rounds of ammo, holster, mag holder, cover garment, and you're good to go

·
Registered
676 Posts
Annual memberships:
IDPA national is 40.00.
Dallas Action Pistol Shooters, one of the local clubs in the DFW area is 20.00.

Per match:
Range fee 10.50 at one range or 11.00 for the other range.
Match fee 5.00 for DAPS members or 7.00 for Nonmembers
Plus the cost of about 70 to 80 rounds of ammunition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts