Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to purchase a SA XD Compact. I have a few questions though…..

Caliber: 9x19 or .40 S&W?? I’ve shot the .40 and thought it had quite a snap to it. I would like my wife to be able to shoot this too, so I don’t know if I want that much of a kick. Does the 9mm have a considerable less kick to justify giving up the extra power? I notice you pick of an extra round -- 10 rounds of 9mm are going to do just as much damage as 9 rounds of .40, right? LOL

Night sights: I read that the factory sights are a bitch to remove. I notice the website only shows the 9mm model with the night sights. Is this a mistake or can you only get them factory installed on the 9? How are those two-dot sights for day time compared to the standard three dot? I have 3-dot Trijicons on my Glock and they’re great day or night.

Does the factory still offer a free holster and magazine when you buy a new one? What's the fair market value for this combo?

Do you recommend the hard chrome slide to prevent rusting? This gun won’t be subject to a lot of wear & tear so I’m not sure if I need it.

I’m sure you regulars get these same questions over and over again. Sorry, I was unable to find answers in the archives. Just a few stupid questions to begin with…..can’t wait to get learn more and start contributing here.

Thank you in advance.

-Jonathan

Glock 20, Kel-Tec P32, Walther PPK/S, Walther TPH
and coming soon……XD Compact!!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
If I was going to buy a subbie I would go with the 9MM. The only reason to have a subbie is to carry it, so the ability to control it is key.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My opinions:

- Go with 9mm, full power 40 loads would be quite snappy. While it wouldn't be as in painful 2" 44mag recoil, follow-up shots would be difficult to put downrange effectively with any great speed.

- The "XD-Gear" package you are referring to has expired from the factory I believe. Some dealers will still have these available for a little while longer until their stock is depleated.

- I think of silver finishes for concealing just another thing to grab someone's attention. Someone sees something shiny and they wonder what it was. A black thing produces less glare thus less notice.

If you're just looking for a range/home defense gun and don't plan on carrying it concealed, you might check out the service model. Parts and accessories are easier to come by, especially if you want a tactical light. If you get a service model you can pick whichever ammo you wish to shoot by getting a 40 with an extra 9mm barrel.

I've know people who had rust on their XD the first week they had it then I look at mine, tons of shooting in the rain and snow and not a spec of rust.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Son of Norway said:
If I was going to buy a subbie I would go with the 9MM. The only reason to have a subbie is to carry it, so the ability to control it is key.

I cant tell much difference between +p 9mm and JHP 40 cal. I dont think there is much difference.

If I had to choose though, I would probably look at the 9mm in bitone

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the xd sc 9mm about two months ago. It was my first handgun purchase and as I also wanted my wife to shoot it I was more than a little apprehensiveabout the purchase as to weight, recoil, etc. She had never before fired a gun of any type.

The week before we were scheduled to shoot on the range during our handgun safety class we went to a local indoor range to let her shoot a bit, just to give her some experience and confidence with the weapon when we went to class. Well, she loved it. She went thru 170 rounds that afternoon. And she has since gone out with me a couple of more times and really likes a brand new indoor range about 20 minutes from the house. I am very pleased with my selection of the xdsc in 9mm and really enjoy shooting with her.

I don't know about the value of the combo, but the local Gander Mtn has the sc for 429 w/2 mags. DK the capacity but presume them to be the 10 shot.

All I can really say is that I'm pleased enough with mine to be back in the market and am looking at getting her her own 9mm xd for her birthday. Woops, that means I have to continue to share at the range till July...., looks like she may own one a bit sooner.

Good luck, good shooting, and good choice!! Seriously, I think with proper shot placement and the proper defensive load the gun will be effective, manageable, and versatile. And a lot cheaper to shoot than the .40

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, get your self two Pearce grip extensions for the sc. This product improves the handling, feel, and control of the gun in a very positive way. got mine at Pistol gear.com. Very pleased with the service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much for your replies. I found a range that has the .40 and 9mm for rent, so I'm going to drive up there next week and try them out side by side.

Does anyone have experience with the night sights?? I noticed they offer the Trijicons for the services models but not for the sub-compacts. And you can get only get the Heine (sp?) sights on the 9mm model. Is this true??

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just buy the pistol and put night sights you want on it afterwards. Better to be happy in the long run than buy something with options you don't end up liking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I had your choice, 9 mm or 40 S&W, I bought the 40 and then bought an after market 9 mm barrel for it from the fellow who sells XD accessories on this site. For an extra $120 or so, I have a two-in-one.

Ron

·
Registered
381 Posts
RonC said:
When I had your choice, 9 mm or 40 S&W, I bought the 40 and then bought an after market 9 mm barrel for it from the fellow who sells XD accessories on this site. For an extra $120 or so, I have a two-in-one.

Ron
Good idea.. BUT (and this is the last I heard) no one makes a 9mm conversion barrel for the Sub-Compact YET. Chatter has popped up harrassing the commercial sponsors of this site asking when a conversion barrel for the Sub will be out. And I have not read any specific date. If it's not a big rush, buy the .40 and wait for someone to make and sell the 9mm conversion. If it is a rush, buy the 9mm and enjoy it. I have the 9mm sub and I love it. I use it to teach a novices (mostly 18 - 25 year old girls.. but that's another story...) twice a month.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was not aware of any conversion barrels for the SC either. I would like to get the 9mm for my 40SC. Anybody have any updated info?

·
Registered
55 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
RonC said:

Ron
Good idea.. BUT (and this is the last I heard) no one makes a 9mm conversion barrel for the Sub-Compact YET. Chatter has popped up harrassing the commercial sponsors of this site asking when a conversion barrel for the Sub will be out. And I have not read any specific date. If it's not a big rush, buy the .40 and wait for someone to make and sell the 9mm conversion. If it is a rush, buy the 9mm and enjoy it. I have the 9mm sub and I love it. I use it to teach a novices (mostly 18 - 25 year old girls.. but that's another story...) twice a month.
Good point. I guess I missed the word "compact' in the first post. My apologies.

Ron

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just went to the range last weekend with my bud. I have an XD9SC and he has an XD40SC. Recoil is actually pretty close, slightly stiffer with the 40 but not bad at all, so much that I don't think control or recoil should be that much of a factor. The 9mm was shooting 124g pretty hot reloads and the 40 inexpensive "range" ammo (don't remember the specs). WWB at WalMart in my area for the 9mm is $11.30 and $15 for the 40. So for every 1000 rounds we buy a month I'll spend $113 and by friend spends $150. So I either get off on the cheap OR get to shoot 3 more boxes (300 rounds).
If you go to the range alot, it adds up quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went up to the range today and rented both. I used whatever cheap range ammo they had ("Independance" I think?)

The .40 had a much "snappier" recoil than 9mm in my opinion. I'd be interested in trying the replacement recoil rod I've seen mentioned here. I'm planning on reloading, so I'm looking at that info now. I have a set of .40/10mm dies, I have to check if the 9x19 mm's are still available for my really OLD Dillon.

I've found a wide range of prices on these things. The two extremes: found a 9mm for $450 with the XD gear kit, and a 40 w/o the kit for $575.

Thank you very much for all the replies.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
223 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
RonC said:

Ron
A little time with a hacksaw and a good file will take care of that problem :p .

T

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Aftermarket springs for the XDSC?? From what company if I may ask? I wasn't aware that Don was making rods for the XDSC, something about not having a gun to work with and the tolerances with the XDSC being a lot tighter and the reliability not being ensured. I'd be more than happy to try nething that reduces recoil and follow up shot times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts