Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signed up for a personal defense class, kind of the next class after a CCW.

Six hours, some classroom and range time. I need to bring a weapon, holster, 3 magazines, two-mag carrier and belt, and about 150 rounds.

In my Springfield XDM 3.8, I carry Federal 147 gr. jacketed hollowpoints, and for my "normal" range use, load Armscor 124 gr. full metal jacket round nose.

There is a perceptible difference in recoil between the two rounds. For this class, where we will be doing followup round target acquisition among other skills, should I be using my personal defense rounds? I'm thinking it matters in this kind of training, but your advice appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would not worry about it and just take practice ammo.

Focus on what the they are trying to teach you and does it work for you.

Make sure to bring extra ammo. IE 300 instead of 150 if that is what they are recommending. So you can run as hard as you want and get the most out of it.

At a later date if you have a range where you can try some of the same drills try it with you carry ammo at that time.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
There is a perceptible difference in recoil between the two rounds.
But when your ramped up running these drills, or in fight for life scenario, your not even gonna notice the difference. :wink: FMJ

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'd like to believe that if the course wanted JHP used, they would have specified it, rather than simply saying '150 rounds' of ammo. I have been to courses that did say to bring X rounds of FMJ as well as Y rounds of SD/JHP.

Rather than asking on a forum, I'd email/call/text the people putting on the course.

Personally, I use the least expensive ammo my pistol likes. :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If the instructor allows it, I'd take what I plan to carry. If you're practicing self defense, you need to practice with that you'll be using.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If the instructor allows it, I'd take what I plan to carry. If you're practicing self defense, you need to practice with that you'll be using.

Why?
Get a fmj rnd with similar ballistics. Plenty of 147 gn fmj loads.

Hollow points are too expensive for training.

Just make sure your carry load feeds fine. I ran >100 rnds with no issue, but I train with cheap fmj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
147gr fmj is even harder to find than 115gr 9mm. I bought two boxes of speer lawman 147 from cabelas.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
That's the key to it, isn't it? Same recoil, same "flash/bang", same POA.
Speer lawman fmj are advertised to be just that when compared to gold dot of the same weight.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
When I take training classes, I just use a reliable factory FMJ loads. Even if you carry +P, not going to affect your performance in the class. Just make sure you practice on occasion with your carry ammo.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A quick search found 147 gn FMJs in stock for about .35 per round.
Most HPs cost over .50 per round.

Personally , there would be no noticable difference between FMJ and HP for the same bullet weight and velocity. Perhaps powder differences might cause more flash etc.

But, I took a similar 8 hr course and I used several brands (for my 40 using 180 GN FMJ) . Never noticed a difference during the class, too busy on the fundamentals.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
A quick search found 147 gn FMJs in stock for about .35 per round.
Most HPs cost over .50 per round.

Personally , there would be no noticable difference between FMJ and HP for the same bullet weight and velocity. Perhaps powder differences might cause more flash etc.

But, I took a similar 8 hr course and I used several brands (for my 40 using 180 GN FMJ) . Never noticed a difference during the class, too busy on the fundamentals.
This!

The class is to learn fundamentals and techniques. Once you get those skills, then worry about if there is a difference in recoil that may affect follow up shots.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
BTW, way too much is made of muzzle flash within diff factory loads. Take some night training &/or shoot in a night IDPA style match. You'll quickly learn as the shooter, you hardly notice & actually welcome a small amount of flash to illum your target for repeat shots.

·
Registered
632 Posts
6 hours and 150 rounds,

Your class is not about practice and lead downrange. It's about technique and hopefully will introduce you to how to get the most out of your future range time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts