Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this is a stupid question. I have a desire to shoot 357sig as I have a strange fondness for bottle-neck brass.
due to licensing restrictions (Australia) limiting me to under .38, I can't buy a .40 cal xdm 5.25 and fit a 357 barrel. I would like the xdm 5.25 as it is more target oriented than the tactical so I'm limited to a 9mm xdm 5.25.

I haven't found any information on converting a 9mm version to sig, only the reverse.
is 9mm to 357 sig possible?

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
sorry if this is a stupid question. I have a desire to shoot 357sig as I have a strange fondness for bottle-neck brass.
due to licensing restrictions (Australia) limiting me to under .38, I can't buy a .40 cal xdm 5.25 and fit a 357 barrel. I would like the xdm 5.25 as it is more target oriented than the tactical so I'm limited to a 9mm xdm 5.25.

I haven't found any information on converting a 9mm version to sig, only the reverse.
is 9mm to 357 sig possible?
Sorry about your dilemma. The .357 Sig is a necked down .40 S&W so a 9mm barrel won't go the other way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it is because the slide is sized for a smaller OD barrel? I read somewhere the 9mm is actually heavier than the .45 because of the smaller bore of 9mm. I though that would indicate the barrels had the same OD?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The breechface is a larger issue.
^ This.
You can go smaller but not bigger..
The 357sig will have the same case base width as the 40cal.

40cal left - 9mm right, in a G27

Just to rub it in, the 357sig round is a fun round to shoot.:mrgreen:

G'day mate...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^
Just to rub it in, the 357sig round is a fun round to shoot.:mrgreen:

G'day mate...
thanks mate! for the images and rubbing it in :mrgreen:

that puts it in perspective. it's a slide issue and I guess there aren't companies making them like lone wolf is for glocks.

it would be interesting to see a .357 sig barrel in a 9mm slide. too see if it is just the breach face that needs widening or if other parts need modification also.

I might have to settle for the XD tactical in .357 sig

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
thanks mate! for the images and rubbing it in :mrgreen:

that puts it in perspective. it's a slide issue and I guess there aren't companies making them like lone wolf is for glocks.

it would be interesting to see a .357 sig barrel in a 9mm slide. too see if it is just the breach face that needs widening or if other parts need modification also.

I might have to settle for the XD tactical in .357 sig
Having absolutely no idea what your laws are, can you buy parts? Meaning, can you buy a 9mm gun, but seperately get a .40 slide and then a 357 barrel? Expensive no doubt, but just a though. Not sure about the mags though.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Having absolutely no idea what your laws are, can you buy parts? Meaning, can you buy a 9mm gun, but seperately get a .40 slide and then a 357 barrel? Expensive no doubt, but just a though. Not sure about the mags though.
Springfield doesn't sell slides or barrels, and there is no aftermarket.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I wonder if you can get a .22 TCM barrel for it to stave the junky itch for shooting a bottle neck.
Nope.

.22TCM needs a .45 platform as a base due to COAL; it's too long to fit in 9mm magazines.

However, the new cartridge Armscor/Craig are bringing out--.22 REV, I think it's called--will fit in 9mm platforms, and Armscor plans on making conversion barrels for everything they can...

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Huh. How's the 9mm conversion work on the Rock 1911? Seems awfully small case head to extract reliably like that

Oh, right. Overall lenght...

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Huh. How's the 9mm conversion work on the Rock 1911? Seems awfully small case head to extract reliably like that

Oh, right. Overall lenght...
Yep. And, mine came with two extractors; one for 9mm, and the other for TCM.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Not very helpful to the OP...but I would think that a country (CONTINENT!) with an arbitrary caliber restriction would be awash in guns and ammo that fit the bill. Why go through the hassle and expense of a conversion?

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Not very helpful to the OP...but I would think that a country (CONTINENT!) with an arbitrary caliber restriction would be awash in guns and ammo that fit the bill. Why go through the hassle and expense of a conversion?
Because they don't make a .357 XDm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.22 TCM haven't come across that one before.
I wonder if you can get a .22 TCM barrel for it to stave the junky itch for shooting a bottle neck.
haven't come across that one before. it is similar to the 30 Mauser I'm shooting at the moment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's tons of fun calibers under .38 though. I'd be having some .38 Super too.

How many pistols can you own?
there's lots of silly rules(laws) over here. the market is awash with all calibers and 45's and .40's and anything under the sun if you know how to work the system. there are some .357sigs on the market and lot's of xd's popping out of the woodwork now I'm looking. our market is so small compared to the US that shops don't stock stuff. everything in my town is 9mm or .22lr. if I don't want a CZ, glock, baretta or highpower, I have to order it or go to a capital city.

I'm not sure they have a set limit on gun numbers, but you do need club approval and police approval. so if you can't justify it, they wont let you have it.

38 super is popular over here, but for my strange addiction to bottle neck cartridges .357 sig is next on my list.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts