Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of shooting my 40 tonight since it's a fun shoot for me, but I only have 2 mags for it. Typically I need 3 or 4 mags to complete a stage. Can you stuff 40 rds in 9mm mags and have them feed at least semi reliably?

W

·
0 Posts
Very interesting question...I have a thread open wondering how to mod .40 mags to 9mm myself. Never thought of going the opposite way.

Good luck...I'll have to keep a check on the replies you get.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
youll have to spread the feed lips probably. I'd recommend just buying dedicated mags for each caliber

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Loading .40 cartridges into 9mm mags works fine and I didn't have to modify a thing. They hold 8 rounds of .40 S&W. I've been doing this for over a year, since I have both 9mm and .40 XD pistols.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't get to shoot last night as I got there too late, but slide racked about 40 rds through using the 9mm mags before leaving for the range and didn't have a feed issue so I was going to go with it.

fwiw, the 15 rd mags hold 11 rds of 40. Perfect for a production class shooter. :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
HighVelocity said:
Doesn't a Beretta 92/96 mag work in an XD? How many 9mm rounds will fit in a 11rnd Beretta 40 mag? Or 40's in a 15 rnd 9mm mag?
all of the baretta mags i have tried in my XD wont lock in place, and they fit different. i dont know who started that but i have yet to find a baretta mag that works.

·
Registered
821 Posts
therooster said:
HighVelocity said:
Doesn't a Beretta 92/96 mag work in an XD? How many 9mm rounds will fit in a 11rnd Beretta 40 mag? Or 40's in a 15 rnd 9mm mag?
all of the baretta mags i have tried in my XD wont lock in place, and they fit different. i dont know who started that but i have yet to find a baretta mag that works.
During the days of the klinton ban several members modified
baretta magazines to fit thier Xd`s. Springfield used to put a flier
in each Xd case for hi-cap mags that where modified baretta mags.
baretta mags need to have a mag catch(to match the xd`s) cut in
the front of them to lock up correctly in a Xd. Before the hack posts
had some info on this.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
HighVelocity said:
The Beretta mags lock into place in a notch of a front corner of the mag. The XD mags lock into place with a notch on the front flat face of the mag. If you cut a notch in the correct place on the Beretta mags, they will work--each individual has to decide if the effort is worth it. I cut a few so I could use the same mags in my CX4 and my XDs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Works fine, but somewhat of a pain to modify the FS mags. They're also a little longer than the XD mags so spacing is a problem. BUT, it can be done and it works good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts