Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,been reloading for years with single stage.well ready for progressive reloading. lee or dillon? be easy guys:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IMO, a turret isn't enough of a step up to justify buying one, if you already have a single stage. Nope, for handgun ammo, nothing beats a progressive. The Dillon 550B is probably the easiest to setup & use trouble free. The 650 is a great machine but getting a bit pricey & if you load for several calibers, costs more to convert & more difficult. The Lee progressives work, but they are finicky & prone to small parts breakage. The Hornady LNL is probably the best bet in an autoindexing progressive, especially w/ 1000 free bullets. Me, Ioad 12 calibers on 2 550Bs. You can confortably load 350rds/hr. At 30min a week, I have all the ammo I need. BTW, I still use a single stage press to load big game & target rifle rounds. I rarely shoot more than 40rds @ a time so it's still fine for that. You can load most rifle rounds on a 550B too.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I got the Dillon 550 in Feb. '08. I've loaded almost 10,000 pistol rounds with it. The few minor problems that I've had have been quickly resolved. I have no regrets.
I bought the unit as advertised on their ads, with the exception of the "low powder sensor" and "roller handle". This with an extra "auto powder measure", "toolhead" with dies and tool stand for each caliber make this an all around winner.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi guys,been reloading for years with single stage.well ready for progressive reloading. lee or dillon? be easy guys:rolleyes:
I grew up on a rockchucker jr. and now that the family has started getting back into shooting regurally (me, wife, dad and brother) I knew reloading would be the only way to go. I web searched, read, asked lots of questions and was being pointed the same way, lee and dillon. With more research and the folks that had hands on experience I decided Dillon was the way to go for me. A true no BS warranty and word of mouth is what finalized my descision.

I know lots of people have bought directly from Dillon, but I went through Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading , the prices were the same but he went through and used his extensive knowledge to help make sure that I got all the things I needed for what I explained I wanted to do. I promise you dealing with Brian is as first class experience as you can get. I went with the 550b "as it should be" package as well as 3 more toolheads and 1 extra powder measure (I'll be adding two more powder measures for Christmas I hope). I've now loaded about 5k rounds on this press in various calibers ranging from 9mm, 40s&w, 45ACP and .357 mag. Its been great and I have no complaints.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
You didn't mention price range or production needs. If you are just looking to simplify and speed up your production on a budget, then I have to disagree with the "IMO, a turret isn't enough of a step up" statement. You can easily pump out 150-200rds/hr with a Lee 4-hole Turret, on a budget. I can switch calibers in about 3 minutes, most of which is moving the Auto Disk hopper. If you need more speed and have more green then get a progressive.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm w/Mamba. I loaded 250/hr only because I deprime/prime as a separate step. I used a turret for years but when the lnl w/free bullets came along i bought one as soon as I had the green.
evaluate your shooting needs vs your cash and move forward

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'm w/Mamba. I loaded 250/hr only because I deprime/prime as a separate step. I used a turret for years but when the lnl w/free bullets came along i bought one as soon as I had the green.
evaluate your shooting needs vs your cash and move forward
And that would add another 30min at elast. Realistcally, 150rds/hr is max speed ona turret & that's if everythign is setup right. Yes a "usefull" step up, but if you already have a single stage, might as well go progressive & the 550B is a logical choice for someone that needs 500-1000rds/mth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK. Now can you tell me how many rounds I could produce on a single-stage station? Compute this to over about 3 or 4 evenings.

Speed of production is a gold. Satisfying a need for a good hobby is another goal.

Happy Trails, jp

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I own a Dillon 550 and have been loading a lot of ammo for over 15 years with it, probably closer to 20 years. Wore it out (at least in my mind), sent it back to Dillon (after loading a LOT of 223 ammo to stock up for the summer in 05), got it back in no time (actually they sent me a new one) and have been happily reloading with it ever since. Best reloading equipment I ever bought! Can't really say about the other progs but then again, I'm very happy with Dillon.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the hornady LNL AP and Ive been happy with it, I can load around 300 rounds and hour not really pushing it and thats loading all the primers into the tube and in the press witch takes some time, Id like to pick up a couple more tubes for primers so I dont have to stop when Im on a roll. I did have a little plastic piece breal on my that holds a Z rod in for the primer feeder I just called hornady and the mailed one right out.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
So, there you have it, or at least the most of it. Your choice! If you have other interest, i.e., family, business or other hobbies that you'd rather spend your time with or a slower press that can occupy your time and patience with, to keep you out of of posterity.

Most of us re-loaders end up shooting more so that we can get back to reloading. It's a self perpetuating hobby that we enjoy and find it to be self-fulfilling.

As far as finances goes, plan on spending $1,000 to get started. Plan on saving (depends on self-control) $1,000 in 3-6 months, everything after that is gravy. For a Dillon, fully set up, you'll be out $600.00 to $700.00. Buying three thousand, inexpensive rounds, you'll be out the same. After that you'll save 40-50% of every bullet that you produce. I ain't no genius on economics, but I'll bet that, that comes off as a very big savings after 10,000 rounds, regardless of how long it takes you to get there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank's guy's, from what i read the dillon 550 is what i'm looking for. i'll do
some research. i'll be talking back at yall.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts