Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
I looked long and hard at all of the Goal Zero products a few months back. Basically, they are a good portable source of power (camping, hikes). If you want to run things at your house there are more cost effective/power effective means of doing so.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Holy hell is that pricy. Not sure of the goal zero, but solar technology keeps going up and prices keep going down. I have 3 28watt rollables, 6 10 watt foldables, and 1 four AA and 1 2AA USB chargers from powerfilm. Keep and eye on Amazon for AMAZING price discounts on the power film panels. Add to that a ARFcom battery box that is currently in build that contains a Optima yellow top marine deep cycle battery (@55Ah), B&D 750watt inverter (just because its cheap). Able to be charged with car using aligator clips, wall power, and the solar panels. The battery and the box that includes everything to charge as well as the inverter for AC/ USB, and the 12Vdc accessory jack cost about $300 to make. The panels on Amazon cost me $69 for the AA verions, $89 for the 10 watt and 289-329 each (got 1 at the 289 price the other 2 were at the 329 price since I waited and it bit me in the rear).

Do the math on that and I can run a typical 200 watt load for 3 hours before the battery needs recharge, can charge with a 28watt solar panel that rolls up to 3" tube about 14" in length. The battery is easily replaceable with any group 24-31 sized battery (IE most car batteries) if SreallyHTF. And if you look at the price of the battery box kit and the solar panel it only cost $600 and could be had for less depending on what extras/ skimps you add to the battery box.

IE there can be ALOT had for ALOT cheaper than this kit, more so if you have a few hours to spend building one up. I will try to post photos when I complete the battery box, but a search on ARFcom will find the post I used for my design.

EDIT to add, hell come to think of it, my Honda EU2000 generator cost under $900 delieverd at Wise sales, add that the 28 watt panel and the battery box and your only rocking the boat at $1500.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I just picked this kit up last month:

Scout 150 Expedition Kit - Camping Gear

A little pricey but I haven't found anything else out on the market that can beat it for what it is. I can charge and discharge it several ways, provide lighting and it's portable which is what I was looking for. I paired that with a 4 AA battery charger and all my short term emergency and camping power needs are taken care of. As mentioned above if you are looking to power your house there are cheaper but much more labor intensive ways to go about it.

Pretty cool article today, soon our waste will be powering our needs:
Bacterial Breakthrough Could Lead to Cheap, Renewable Bio-Batteries - FoxNews.com

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts