Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever paint their sights with the glow in the dark stuff? I really don't want to change my sights, not worth the $ (to me), and I like the original sights. I thought it would be cool if I painted the sights with that glow paint stuff. I've got a couple other guns I need to touch up the sights on anyways. From what I understand, it doesn't change the appearance of your sights in the daytime that much, but in dark, or low light, they glow pretty good! I saw some posts on the net, saying this stuff works pretty good. Just wondering if anybody did this to an XD, and if you did, what you used, how, and what it looks like.

Weather-Proof Ultra Green Glow in the Dark Paint -

My uncle painted his with something, and he's "charge" them with a small portable blacklight. Worked pretty good! Unfortunately he doesn't remember what he used, but his sights STILL glow over 10 years after (if they're charged)!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It works in a very limited capacity. You have to hit the sights with a flashlight to charge them before they will work. Even then, they only glow so bright for a very short period of time. Tritium vials are the only answer for night sights.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
If you just want them for color for increased visibility go hog wild...they work GREAT.

If you want them for night sights it's a no go. Spend the money on Tritium.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used a couple of different glow in the dark sight paints and they aren't worth the money or effort. As stated above you have to charge it before use and it doesn't glow for to long. Spend the money on new sights. In the longrun you're better off.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you just want them for color for increased visibility go hog wild...they work GREAT.

If you want them for night sights it's a no go. Spend the money on Tritium.
+1!!!

For daytime range use for a little contrast in your sight picture, the paint will work just fine, but for serious use as "night sights"...FAIL!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you want glow sights, night sights are the only answer. If you want to change the color (which I'm planning with mine), Bright Sights sight paint is the best thing I've found.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The PX4s come with it standard so that's what's currently on my PX4sc until I can get the time to take my Trijis I bought for it to a gunsmith. I'm not impressed with the glow-in-the-dark capability.

Seems to take a while of exposure to get a bright glow out of them. Don't know how they'd be of any use on a gun that sits in a nightstand or in a dark CC holster all day.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My uncle used a blacklight on his, but I wonder how UV LEDs would work? I have a small UV LED light that's supposed to be for automotive fluid leak detection. It's pretty bright for an LED, but my uncle's sights when charged up with the blacklight were CRAZY BRIGHT, brighter than tritiums when he first did it. The cool part about the LED light is it's the size of a pen and would fit where that silly brush is in the XD's case. One vial of paint, and ALL my guns are done. Charge them with cheapo UV LED flashlights. UV LEDs are CHEAP, I could rework the board of one of those 9 LED lights pretty easy. Just make sure the LEDs are the same voltage and current rating. I have a BUNCH of those silly things, a friend of mine gives me all the broken ones they can't sell. Usually it's just the ground where it touches the aluminum case. This is another idea behind it, so if somebody has a gun with glowsights, try a UV LED, and see if it works as good as a real blacklight. I have my doubts because the UV output isn't as high. :neutral:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Glad the UV works for ya! It's nice to find an inexpensive solution.

Personally, though, for home defense, I don't think I'd like the idea of having to charge up my night sights while my door is being kicked in.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's really dark, I have a hard time with a bright glowy sight like a tritium in my face. It screws with my night vision, too much contrast between the sights and the target. Usually once my eyes are adjusted (like waking up in the nigh) my night vision is pretty good. It takes a while to adjust but when I wake up, I usually don't have to turn on the light to get out of bed and go to the bathroom. I have a couple of those electro luminescent night lights so it's just enough to see well enough to shoot, or see what's going on. I'm going to try it, worst it will do is change the color a little. :neutral:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts