Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored one evening researching sights to replace the stock ones on my mod 2 and I came across the advertisement from Glow On on XDtalk.com. I watched the various YouTube clips and read reviews most if not all were very positive. I decided to purchase it during the interim I find my replacement sights.

On 9/11/15, I placed the order with the company directly and bought the combination of the larger vial and larger tape in the original color; spending about $30 including shipping.

I didn't have much expectation for the product since I tried similar products for gun sights and those were trash.

The items came very quickly securely packaged. When I told my wife about them I placed the vial and tape on our window sill and in less than 2 minutes, I pulled them off and my wife and I noticed the bright glow immediately.

Before I get too far into this, here is my personal opinion of night sights on a carry firearm (these are just my 2 cents and yours may vary). I will not fire my weapon under any circumstance when it is pitch black (blind fire) because I don't want to destroy anything/anyone by accident. Even if there is little light, I believe that when under stress of defending myself, the closing distance of the bad guy, etc., I will more than likely point shoot before being able to safely line up my sights. I think that speed acquisition sights (like XS Big Dot) are more useful than typical nights sights in stress situations. So I already made up my mind that these Glow On will not be on my carry or bedside firearm since they need to be charged up in some way and fade after a few hours.

Anyways, I tried the paint first which has the consistency of water and grit. I applied as directed but it looked as if I smeared gun cleaner on the sights. I even tried to flatten the paint a little by pushing it down, but it either pulled off some paint or made it look weirder. I immediately took them out. I did however, applied it to the "grip zone" and they look cool. I may use the paint on the slide etching.

Next, I tried the tape. I cut the tape to fit the entire rear sight. Using an xacto knife I was able to cut a similar size pattern, but could never get crisp straight lines. I really liked how they glowed so I thought maybe I could cut the front one to match. Came close but these were very small areas for me to cut out. Removed the adhesive on the tape with rubbing alcohol and used crazy glue gel to hold the tape in place. Then covered up the tape with clear nail polish. You can see the results below. I also cut a very thin line and placed them in the rails of the gun for aesthetic looks.

Are they true replacement alternatives for night sights? In my personal opinion I would not use them as a permanent fix, but I am using it until I have my new sights installed.

The product is fantastic out glowing the ones I tried in the past. I can see myself using both the paint and tape for other projects not limited to firearms.

The pics are just after sitting on my window sill for less than a minute. 1 - at full arms lenghth of the sights, 1 - close up of the sights, 1 - Grip Zone have 3-4 layers. May have to go at it again to really make them crisp. Then a few showing what they look like in normal lighting.

I think these are great in a pinch, but for me I will not use them for these reasons. My carry will be concealed for hours at a time. They will not have a chance to charge, but if I am point shooting to create a safe distance before I can acquire sights, who cares? My bedside firearm is locked in a drawer safe and will not have a chance to charge. I do have a flashlight that I will have in my home and should be able to have time to acquire sites but I probably would still not use these for self defense purposes.

I will and have used these products around my home (marking sharp corners, stairs, etc.) and would recommend them for those purposes.

All an all I believe that's the paint and tape are worth the money, but I already new that these would not be on my primary carry. Now I'm looking for fun projects to do with them.

Stay safe and take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although night sights are important do not forget a carry light. In order to identify a target you need one. It will be the difference between you saving the day and you shooting something on accident.

I carry a protac 2L
Great advice and I just started to carry one with my EDC.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I had similiar problems to begin with also. I found that if you strip the metal w alcohol to get all the oils off it does pretty well directly on metal. I painted some sights up about 18 months ago now and they are still looking perfect due to the finger nail polish that sealed it in. This was a 3 day process for me to get it to take to the metal properly. Maybe a little overdone on the time frames by me , but it worked.
Stripped metal first and allowed to completely dry. The application was difficult, I agree, I put on a first layer of paint that looked really sloppy and didn't cover 100 % but stayed in the lines. Then I let it sit for 24 hours to dry. Second application takes much much better because you are painting onto dry paint layer now. Here you can make it look right!!! Then I let that sit for another day and then added the nail polish to give it a protective coating to prevent chipping etc. So far so good. Lots of holstering and its held up nicely.

Also I bought the small bottle and went to paint the top quarter of the FS post on some AR flip sights last night only to discover it was finally used up. It lasted forever, so if you got the big one, that's like a lifetime supply!!!!! A drop of water does bring the paint back to life in the jar as well when it dries out. I Did that a few times.

+1 on ingenuity for figuring out another way to make it work for you.

here's one I did.
image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...I replaced the glow on tape on my mod 2 and just put the paint in the 3 dot sights. Mainly cause my wife wants my gun but didn't like the sight with the tape on it.

I have since used the paint on various projects including filling out the OtterBox etching on my tablet case.

I have used the tape to wrap around some parts of my flashlight and to mark dangerous corners in my home.

The only thing I no I wish for is that the paint be more of a glue type texture vs the watery grit consistency. I have to put 3-4 layers of paint to get it to look nice to me.

I still believe this would be a good option for sights if you are not as OCD or particular as I am. Fantastically bright.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts