Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22 or 31? I'm trying to decide between the .40 and .357 sig. And should I get a new 4th gen or buy a used 3rd gen. Opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I prefer the 22 over the 31 but that is a caliber debate I don't even want to start. As for the Gen 4 vs used Gen 3...I would say it depends on the price difference. Shoot them both and see which one feels better and you can shoot more accurately with.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Here's all I have:

Inexpensive .40 S&W ammo = ~$28.00/100

Inexpensive .357 SIG ammo = ~$38.00/100

·
Registered
29,674 Posts
Get either one and a conversion barrel to the other caliber (the 22 and 31 are the same pistol, just use a different barrel).

Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think I'll got with the 22 and get a conversion barrel. Now to try and convince someone to buy my xd for more than its worth...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
.40 gives you a LOT more choices. That and ammo costs for .357 sig caused me to sell my 32 a few years ago.
Newer ammo like DPX & HST give superior ballistics in the .40, you will never be undergunned with the G22

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah I think I'll got with the 22 and get a conversion barrel. Now to try and convince someone to buy my xd for more than its worth...
Good Idea, a buddy of mine bought the conversion for his 23 and only shot a box of .357 through it in the last year or so.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Get a .40 the 357 sig is a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
.357 Sig tends to overpenetrate, so it wouldn't be my choice for a self-defense gun.

I've carried a G23 .40 for years and love it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
.357 Sig tends to overpenetrate, so it wouldn't be my choice for a self-defense gun.

I've carried a G23 .40 for years and love it.
Actually in test I've seen the 125gr sig penetrated less than the 147gr 9mm and the 180gr .40.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Overpenetration is a problem, in both guns and "other" things.

I think I will go with the 22 or 23. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
A quote from Doc Roberts.

Is the 357 Sig bad? NO! It is a very reliably performing 9mm bullet, but it is does not offer significantly better terminal performance compared with the best current 9mm ammunition. When firing through heavy clothing, automotive steel panels, automobile windshield glass, interior wall segments, exterior wall segments, and plywood, both the 357 Sig Speer 125 gr JHP Gold Dot and 9mm Speer 124 gr +P JHP Gold Dot exhibited nearly identical penetration and expansion results THROUGH ALL THE DIFFERENT BARRIERS, as demonstrated by both our testing and that of the FBI. Most 357 Sig loadings, unless the fail to expand, do not offer excessive penetration; in fact, the exact opposite, under-penetration, can be a problem. Several .40 S&W and .45 ACP loads offered superior terminal performance through barriers compared to the 9mm and 357 Sig loads. In addition to having tested virtually all the handgun ammo available in lab settings, we have also had the opportunity to analyze numerous OIS incident forensic results and have not observed any greater incapacitation in actual shootings with users of 357 Sig loads compared to those users of 9 mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP who are using equivalent modern, well engineered ammunition.

The 357 Sig is not a bad cartridge, it just does not seem to offer anything that is not already available, at the price of less ammunition capacity than the similarly performing 9mm, as well as having greater recoil, muzzle flash, and wear on the weapon compared to other service pistol cartridges. On the other hand, since the 357 Sig is a modern cartridge benefiting from the latest engineering concepts, the bullets loaded with it have generally all been designed and tested using the latest FBI, IWBA, etc... testing protocols. This results in more robust terminal performance, less failures to expand, and thus greater tissue damage than will be found with older projectile designs. In addition, since according to data from Fackler and others, approximately 50% of shooting victims are incapacitated by psychological mechanisms, it is possible that the increased blast, flash, and noise of the 357 Sig enhances psychological perceptions of being shot.

In discussing this issue with an experienced ammunition engineer at one of the major ammo companies, he stated that he didn't particularly like the 357 Sig from an engineering perspective and described their difficulties in designing and producing 357 Sig ammunition which consistently performs as well as their ammunition in other service calibers. In particular, he felt his company's 357 Sig loads offered no better performance than their top 9 mm loads and stated their .40 S&W loads were superior in every respect to their 357 Sig ammunition. He firmly believes their .40 S&W offerings are the best performing duty ammunition his company produces.

We have found .40 S&W 180 gr to perform very well against barriers--better than the 9 mm and 357 Sig. The CHP used a variety of .357 Mag loads, depending upon what was available via the state contract. According to the published CHP test data, the .357 Magnum load used immediately prior to the CHP transition to .40 S&W was the Remington 125 gr JHP with an ave. MV of 1450 f/s from their duty revolvers--CHP has continued to report greater success with their .40 S&W 180 gr JHP than with the .357 Magnum 125 gr JHP they previously issued.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my husband had a g32 and the 357SIG is an awesome caliber and very much fun to shoot. it is pricey, but if you shop around you can usually find it about the same cost a .40 when purchased in bulk.

depending on your plans for the gun in the future, i would personally pick up the .40 and if you want to shoot some 357SIG pick up the conversion barrel. .40 will be a lot easier to sell down the road if you decide to do so.

between gen4 and gen3, i was never a huge fan of the gen3 glocks because the grip is too big for my hands. the gen4 fits my hand a little better, but still not as nicely as my xd9sc. my husband loves all things glock, owns/owned several gen3 glocks and currently carries a gen4 g19. he likes the gen4 the best out of them all. whichever feels better to you is the correct answer.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
ammo cost for .357sig and 40sw are about a 2 dollar difference where I buy ammo....I'm a fan of .357sig and own a 31c, 32 and 33.....so my vote is a bit biased.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have owned and heavily shot a 2nd gen G22 since 1994. Came with Meprolight night sights from the factory.

I have literally had NO malfunctions with this pistol at all. Zero, zippo. Needless to say, it goes with me everywhere and is my "go to" gun for defense.

Dropped in a Ghost 3.5lb trigger and had a grip modification done. The grip mod makes it point like a 1911 and takes the hump out of the backstrap. The Ghost trigger is not a perfect trigger, but it makes a HUGE difference over the stock Glock trigger and at 30 bucks...it is worth every penny.

If you ask me...I'd go Glock 22. You get a 9mm sized pistol with 15rds on tap. It fits any holster for the G17 (and there are tons of options) and the cheap used factory mags are everywhere and run maybe 12 bucks a pop.

Yes, from all my experiences with this pistol...I'd go G22 in a heartbeat.

- brickboy240

1 - 20 of 31 Posts