Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some odd reason I have found myself attracted to a Glock. I own 2 Springfields and have also been considering a kahr cm9 for summer carry.

Anyways I was reading a thread on here discussing glocks the other day. I googled a Glock 19 and really liked what I saw and i read several reviews that were very positive. I looked at the 26 too and I figured that would be nice to with a Pearce grip.

However, I have a compact xdm 40 and a full size 1911and was looking for something in between. I want to own several sizes and calibers of good reputable hand guns. I know a lot of guys on here are strict xd and xdm owners, hence the website xdtalk. But, I see a lot of posters have a Glock or 2.

I don't want to own all xdm's in different calibers. If I want this 9mm for target practice, concealed carry and HD would the Glock 19 be a good investment? Kyle's has them for $499. By the way, I'm referring to a Gen 3 model.

I know I need to go to a range and shoot one first. But, I wanted to ask on here for people that have one, or know about Glocks. I know nothing about them and have never shot one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
if you want a Glock get a Glock. if the XDm didn't feel so nice in my hand after going back and forth between it and the Glock... I would have a Glock right now.

I still may get one sometime.

·
Registered
727 Posts
IMO the Glock 19 is just about the perfect handgun for serious use. It is large enough to comfortably fit the hand of most shooters but still small enough to easily conceal. It is also about as reliable as any pistol can be.

Use factory mags, good quality ammo and most of all DON"T TINKER WITH IT and the gun will simply go bang every time you pull the trigger.

About the only modification that is truly needed for a Glock is replacement of the factory pieces of plastic that fill the slots in the slide where the sights should go. Take your pick of 10-8, Warrens or whatever sights you prefer and then go to go town.

As for the 26, if you add an extension to the mag you are right at the size of the 19 while giving up a little on the slide and sight radius. I wouldn't waste my time there.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have owned many XD's and Glocks at one time or another over these many years and I have never had a problem with any of them. I do not currently own a XD and ab out 3 weeks ago I did go out and buy a new Gloxk 21 SF. I will own another XD at some point. You have to get what feels good in your hand. If you have a range close by that rents guns that would one sure fire way of seeing wich you like the best.JR

·
Registered
36 Posts
i also own xd's and glocks. i was looking for something in between and compact and subcompact. if you but an xdm 3.8 side by side with a 19 you will realize that they are virtually the same (minus the grip extention on the xdm) it all depends on exactly what your looking for. because i have a few xd's i decided to switch it up with a glock. it just fit that application i was gonna use it for.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Glock 19, many say the best overall handgun on the market. Get one and you will love it.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I say shoot the gun first...I did and have a Gen G19, it's my EDC an a fantastic gun. Very light as well, fully loaded weighs just 2 ounces more than my empty XD9sc.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Your not the only one! I own two xds and I want a glock 19!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I like the g19, its a good size, holds 15rnds and is a nice cary gun. The only issue I have is that my pinky finger doesnt know where to go. The grip is too long to curl under, and too short for the grip. It kind of just rests on the mag floor plate feeling out of place.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
great pistols.

if it feels good to you, get it.

I don't like the way they point for me thus I don't own one.

won't hesitate to recommend them though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the last time i shot a bunch of guns with friends, my favorite pistol i shot was the 26 my friend has

more fun to me than my G30, an XD45, an XD40, Ruger P90, Ruger Mark II, and some Walther .38 (unsure of the model)

it did have the grip extensions though, if it didn't, i'd not be able to hold it

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Ron....I am having the same attraction but in the G26 flavor. It is more compact and weighs less than the XDsc, and would think that all gun enthusiast would have at least 1 in their collection.

Also...I like that you can be a memeber of XDTalk and not be blastpheming for wanting or owning a Glock.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Glock 19, many say the best overall handgun on the market. Get one and you will love it.
I agree.
I've sold 4 XD pistols in the last 2 years, mostly due to the sloppy spongy trigger.

I recently bought a Glock 19, and I love it.
Just replaced the stock sights with Ameriglo I-dot Pros.

Great handgun...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm on to my 2nd Glock in 3 months - 17 and 34. Probably will pick up a 19 soon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Went to my LGS with my 1911 and rented a Glock 17c to try. My buddy Dave and I did some practice with the 45's for the next Steel Challenge match. Once I ran out of ammo for the 1911 I put 50 rounds down range with the Glock 17c. Wanted to try it out as a second competition gun. The gun I owned previous to the 1911 was an XDM in 9mm so I knew what that trigger was like and how it shot. This was the first time I have ever pulled the trigger on a Glock of any caliber. First things first, I like the trigger better than the XDM. It pointed more naturally than the XDM ever did and I must admit that while the XDM has better styling the Glock felt better in my hand. Having the compensated barrel was a little weird for the first few shots as I noticed the flash each time I pulled the trigger. After a couple thousand rounds through the 45 the 9mm was like shooting a 22 so I blew through the 50 rounds pretty quickly. Double taps, mozambique drills, quick, accurate and like I expect from any handgun, went bang every time I pulled the trigger. My next competition pistol will be a Glock 17c after I get my wife the 38 that she wants for her bedside gun.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Glock. They are some very fine handguns. I own a XD45 Compact, a Kimber Pro Carry II .45ACP, a Ruger LCP, and a Walther P22. I bought the wife a Glock 19 Gen 3 last year after she held various handguns and really liked the feel/fit of the 19. She loves it. In fact, I really enjoy shooting it also and it is very smooth and accurate. No problems what-so-ever.

Get ya one and you'll be glad you did. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stay away from the Gen4's, I've had problems with the G17 but got it fixed and traded the G26 gen4 that I had problems with reliability and ended up with XDM9 compact. They are not even close; the trigger on the XDM is so superior it’s not funny.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I really love the feel of the gen 4. My question is...is there a difference in the feel of the gen 4 vs gen 3 glock 19 minus the backstraps on the gen 4?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts