Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an XD-40 had it out two times now. My friend has a glock 9mm. He only had it for a year and it is about the third time useing it. Both guns where clean and oiled when we went out today. I fired 100 rounds saturday and on Sunday we both went out after about 80 rounds fired his Glock started jamming. By the end of the day we had shot about 200 rounds from day one my XD has been flawless. His Glock jammed about 8 times..... All I could think of was good luck to the Glock lovers.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jerry. Good the hear your XD worked good. Just goes to show, regardless of the name on the side, all guns can have problems. Feeding problems can be frustrasting, but are usually easily resovled.
Happy shooting and enjoy the forum! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well so I guess there are others that have had jamming problems with Glocks? I have not heard of any with an XD. No one wanted to comment on a Glock at Packing.org. I got 25 pound bombs dropped on me like as if I was not suppose to talk about a Glock having problems. I come to realize no Glock owners wanted to give me any good input what do you think that tells me?

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Glance through the forum here and you'll see some XDs that have had some issues also. Most of which have been resolved from advice of the forum members, or a trip back to SA. They’re formed and packaged metals and plastics subject to the perfection of us less than perfect humans.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice to hear you didn't have any problems with your XD, any reason you choose .40 cal over 9mm? Just curious as I'm still in the process of comparing XD to Glock and 9mm to .40 cal before the $ is handed over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DMTWI said:
Nice to hear you didn't have any problems with your XD, any reason you choose .40 cal over 9mm? Just curious as I'm still in the process of comparing XD to Glock and 9mm to .40 cal before the $ is handed over.
That is a good question you asked. I asked the same to a very very very much gun lover he carries ccw permits even in Claifornia like contra costa which is hard. I asked him the same question. He told me that the 9mm travels X amount of feet per second and the 45 travels X amount of teet per second. The 45 is much slower than the 9mm. The 45 of course has much more stoping power because of the size of the bullet. He told me they came out with the 40 caliber to try and compromise both 9mm and the 45cal. The 40 will travel just about as fast as the 9mm but has much more stopping power than the 9mm. and not much less stopping power than the 45. So I bought the 40 cal. I LOVE IT I also shot my friends 45 not a real lot of difference it seemed. then I shot his 9mm much less power almost like a toy? I like the 40 cal first and foremost my second gun I would consider the 9mm over the 45 only because I feel that my 40 cal is got the stopping power I would like to have. If I have to defend my family I don't want to maybe have to put 3 bullets in him to stop him if he is on meth. If I use a hollow point on my 40 he is going down and not getting up. My suggestion is buy the 40 cal you cannot go wrong! Let me know what you did. If you buy a Glock good luck is all I can say. I am glad I did not buy a Glock after shooting my friends getting jammed and all I would never buy a Glock. What ever you do you shall do buddy. Let us know what you did It would be interesting now to see what you chose and why.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Jerry said:
... my 40 cal is got the stopping power I would like to have. If I have to defend my family I don't want to maybe have to put 3 bullets in him to stop him if he is on meth. If I use a hollow point on my 40 he is going down and not getting up...
Be careful about putting too much faith in a caliber. Many caliber wars have been fought on many forums. BUT, I think the concensus is this:

there is NO such thing as a one-shot stop caliber.

Just be prepared to put 3 HPs into the BG from your 40, or a 45 as well. It's partly shot placement, too, not just the size of the bullet. I'm not trying to get "down" on you. Just please keep in mind that you need to be prepared for a follow-up shot, or two, or three.... BGs don't care what caliber you're using. And they won't fall down just becuase they were shot w/ a larger caliber.

Be careful. And welcome to the forum. I think you'll have a lot of fun here. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. I learned so much since I've joined.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes, the cal. of choice wars do rage on in the forums. Kind of like the XD vs Glock, plastic vs metal, etc... :shock: I did shoot the .40 cal. in the Glock last weekend at the local range, not bad at all (the .40 cal. I mean), the Glock was ok. Time to compare the 9x19 next, then hopefully an XD purchase soon. I'll keep you posted :lol: DT

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I like glocks just fine. I really wish the XD sub was as small as the G26/27, I'd already own one if it was.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dave_in_delaware said:
Jerry said:
... my 40 cal is got the stopping power I would like to have. If I have to defend my family I don't want to maybe have to put 3 bullets in him to stop him if he is on meth. If I use a hollow point on my 40 he is going down and not getting up...
Be careful about putting too much faith in a caliber. Many caliber wars have been fought on many forums. BUT, I think the concensus is this:

there is NO such thing as a one-shot stop caliber.

Just be prepared to put 3 HPs into the BG from your 40, or a 45 as well. It's partly shot placement, too, not just the size of the bullet. I'm not trying to get "down" on you. Just please keep in mind that you need to be prepared for a follow-up shot, or two, or three.... BGs don't care what caliber you're using. And they won't fall down just becuase they were shot w/ a larger caliber.

Be careful. And welcome to the forum. I think you'll have a lot of fun here. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. I learned so much since I've joined.
Hey Dave, hello there yes sir you are right at that. I would rather be shot in the arm with a 45 the a 9mm in the chest.. Everything depends on the situation and placement. Boy howdy on the forum wars. I started one asking the same question I did here at packing.org and with in 24hrs I had 50posts of nothing answering my question but instead it was a war. First post guy said Boy o boy you opened a can of worms. Next post was this is no can instead a 55 gallon of worms. I bowed out told them if my question offends you like this them I am sorry and willl not post here no more. So, the war is still on over there if you look under XD verses Glock like I had here I was very polite with my question. It is worse than chevy verses Ford. But we all have our opinions and a man should be able to make his opinion. It is when one becomes unreasonable to speak with any more on the topic. Over there at packing the first two guys where only taking shots at me they never addressed my reasonable question I asked them. By the 45th remark a guy felt sorry for me and told them that I onlly had a simple question and out of 40 answers no one addressed his questiion. Anyway what ever! I bowed out of that one. I love my XD-40 boy howdy I have been getting real good with it been shooting clay shot gun cleats hanging on a tree with my friend from 25 yards with in a few shots its gone! Sometimes first shot but within 4 or 5 I have it. It may not be all that good to some of you but this is the first hand gun I ever owned just got it last week and shoot saturday and sunday. Like I said shot my friends Glock 9mm and a Kimber 45. That Kimber was a nice gun toooooo. Be safe. P.S I understand your point with caliber wars as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the HS2000 9mm(now known as the XD). and a Glock 19. Both of my pistols are extremly reliable. Your friend may have some bad mags, or might to adjust his grip to help the Glock operate better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only issue I have had with my XD-40 was related to the ammo I was using. I had the following guns today at the range:

HK USP Compact 40
XD-40
Glock 22

Out of 200 rounds run through each gun using an even number of American Eagle 180gr FMJ and WWB 165gr FMJ, I had no failures to feed in the HK and Glock, but had 8 in the XD with the American Eagle ammo. It performed perfectly with the WWB. I am going out again tomorrow with different ammo.

I love the feel of the XD and will probably add another XD (9mm sub) to my collection soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I second Sucram 1's thoughts. Any firearm can experience malfunctions from time to time. I now own, and have owned in the past, many Glock models in different calibers. They have all proved to be excellent, reliable weapons. In fact, as I am new to the XD world, I only hope that my new XD .40 sc is as reliable as any of my Glocks.

This is my first post here and it appears to be a great forum for new XD fans such as myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all....I'm a newbie here, and just put the order in tonight, for my XD 40 sub compact. Being a long time Glock 23 owner, I can honestly state that my Glock went years, without ever having malfunctioned or jamming up. The majority of jams or feed issues in quality pistols, are directly related to ammunition preference. I saw someone post about using American Eagle Ammo, and having his XD jam up 8 times. That's a very poor choice of ammo, albeit a cheap alternative when blasting away at a range. As I understand it, American Eagle ammo is basically factory reloads, that tend to have a weak powder charge, and are "loaded down."

Basically, if the ammo being used, doesn't provide enough of a powder charge to "blow Back" the slide completely when fired, your going to experience many jams. These rounds are cheaper for a reason....They are not manufactured to high spec's/tolerances, and they vary greatly, even out of the same box. You may also notice a difference in the "dirt factor" after using these rounds. They create a lot of larger grained, powder residue on the pistol...also not good for reliability purposes.
Me personally, I see little sense in firing ammo that I will not carry in my self defense pistol....that's sort of like buying a Z06 Corvette, and filling the tank up with regular unleaded, because you just want to cruise...LOL. I want to practice with exactly what will be carried in the sidearm, when and if, I'm presented with a "condition red" scenario.

I had my eye on the new Sig Sauer P229 Equinox. After I shopped around, and couldn't even find one in a gun shop to handle, I took a liking to the XD Sub Compact pistol. It just "felt right" in my hand, and seemed like it was calling my name. Springfield has been around a LONG time, and I know that many people really like their long standing line of 1911 style pistols. I figured I'd give it a shot, as I also think this gun has tremendous eye appeal. I chose the 40 Caliber, as that is my personal preference. I have always been a 40 caliber fan, and that's generally the only caliber I will carry for self defense in a pistol. The 45's tend to be too bulky and or ugly looking for my taste. The 9mm was so popular for so long, mainly due to the extreme magazine capacities they offered in such guns as the Glock, Beretta, etc...I guess people would have rather had 17 rounds of 9mm, than 10 or less rounds of 45 at the time. Once things got evened out to 10 rounds, and the 40 had been introduced, the 9mm decline began....A guy like myself figures..."If limited to 10 rounds in my gun, I'd much rather have 10 40's then 10 9mm's."

For some, the 40 may have a bit too much recoil. I'd probably think the 9mm is a better choice for most petite women, who wish to carry a sidearm. Both are effective man stopper's, if you can shoot under duress, and you have good loads in the pistol.
I also read someones' post about only wanting to have to shoot someone once, if need be....thus the choice of the 40 caliber. No offense, but that's the LAST thing you should be thinking about, if you have to yank that pistol and "go to work." If you have to draw down and fire on someone, you fire until the threat has been neutralized or eliminated! A double tap to the sternum, with Hydroshocks, Lawman, or any of the other numerous "man stopping" rounds, will probably be efficient.... even on a "dopehead."

Myself... I'm not worried about, or thinking about, how many times I will have to fire. I'm firing until the "threat" is incapacitated and laying motionless on the ground, unable to raise his pistol and shoot me dead with one last shot, before he expires. Any other way, and you may not survive a "real life" gun fight. As always, these are just MY OPINIONS based on my experiences, and these are MY ways of doing things. :D
I'll be sure to let you all know how I like the XD, once I put it through it's paces! Take care, and have a great holiday!

·
Registered
226 Posts
93VR4nPHILLY said:
A guy like myself figures..."If limited to 10 rounds in my gun, I'd much rather have 10 40's then 10 9mm's."
It's called a Hi-Cap mag ;-)

Btw, Hi I'm a newcommer here. I recently received a XD-40 as a present. This forum seems to have a lot of nice people with good answers. Glad to be here. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Solus said:
93VR4nPHILLY said:
A guy like myself figures..."If limited to 10 rounds in my gun, I'd much rather have 10 40's then 10 9mm's."
It's called a Hi-Cap mag ;-)

Btw, Hi I'm a newcommer here. I recently received a XD-40 as a present. This forum seems to have a lot of nice people with good answers. Glad to be here. :)
Yes... But remember, High Cap mags are illegal in many states. I was basically stating that I'd choose the 40 S&W over the 9mm, if for whatever reason, each was limited to 10 rounds. In retrospect, I think Id still rather have twelve rounds of 40, as opposed to 17 rounds of 9mm, in my gun. Reason being, in a real world self defense situation, it's very rare that more than a few shots will be fired from the side arm anyway. All things being equal, I'd feel more confident having to stop/incapacitate a 250 pound attacker from close range, with 2 or 3 shots from a 40 s&w.

I'm pretty sure statisitcs would prove that to be accurate. I'd be willing to bet that the number of one stop shots recorded from law enforcement & civilian carry situations using the 40 s&w, is a much higher percentage then that of the 9mm. Just like the percentages are probably higher for the 45, as compared to the 40. Regardless, there is NO substitution for practice and becoming very familar with your side arm. As long as YOU have confidence in what you carry, and you are very proficient with it, that's all the really matters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glocks jamming eh? I had a friend who had a Glock 23 and he insisted that his Glock was a POS because it kept jamming. After one annoying afternoon of listening to him whine about it, I offered to let him shoot my Glock 23 (which was bought from the same dealer on the same day and had a sequential serial number to his). He jammed my Glock every time he pulled the trigger.

I asked to shoot his. He handed it to me and I proceeded to send 7 mags worth of rounds downrange without one single malfunction. As he stood there with his face hanging out, I reloaded the mags. I then told him that in the next two mags, every third shot would jam. I intentionally limpwristed every third shot and jammed the pistol.

After demonstrating why he was having problems, and showing him the proper way to grip and fire a pistol, he never experienced a jam from that Glock again.

Can Glock produce a defective pistol? Sure. So can every other manufacturer. Are they more prone to malfunctions than other pistols? Hardly. In fact, I've had more problems with other makes and I own (and have owned) more Glocks than any other single brand of pistol. Not being a Glock zealot here, just stating simple facts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
But how good is a pistols quality if how you hold it causes it to jam? To me that is a serious design flaw and something I would avoid, especially in a defense weapon.

You're not always going to be able to shoot a defensive pistol from a perfect stance and grip.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts