Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have seen a thread on here related to a new style of mags from Springfield Armory that resembles the mags of glock i may be wrong but are they available and or are they headed in this direction. Or will they stay with the stainless steal. Mags of the Glock type would be a bit lighter and more durable. Personal opinion.

XD-9MM Tactical- with Barsto Extended Mag release / Captive guid rod and spring 18lbs and TRUGLO Tritium/Fiber Sight for XD
from Pistol Gear. Of course..... :wink:

Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES THAT I DO (THE Material ). I THOUGHT THERE WAS PICS POSTED TO THIS EFFECT ALSO .. BUT I MAY BE WRONG.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ranburr said:
A plastic Glock style magazine would not work in existing XDs. It would require a wider grip.
I'm not disputing your statement, but why is that? Assuming the materials are of the same thickness, I can see no reason why a plastic mag would require a thicker grip than would a mag made from stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The material can't be the same thickness and the plastic have any strength. Take a look at just how thick a Glock magazine really is. An obvious comparison is how much thicker a Glock .45 double stack is compared to say a steel H&K .45 double stack.

ranburr

·
Registered
388 Posts
ranburr said:
The material can't be the same thickness and the plastic have any strength.
That statement is not unequivocally true. There are a number of plastics, particularly FRPs, that are as ridgid as steel. I'll dig up some figures if you're really curious.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You might find a plastic with a modulus (ie stiffness) close to that of steel and better than aluminum but I doubt you will find many materials with a yield strength (the point at which plastic {permanent} deformation begins) any where near the yield strength of the steels used to make magazines. Even Carbon Fiber Composites barely get close to mild steel in yield strength and even there Carbon Fiber composites are used for lighter but often bulkier parts that have the same strength as the steel part they replace in general.

I certainly think you could make good plastic magazines that would work in the XD but as others have stated you would have to make the walls a little thicker, especial near the feed lips were the highest stress are and thus you would probably have to sacrifice capacity to make it work.

It makes me wonder though, nearly all the unlimited guns I saw at my first IPSC shoot using steel magazines even though magazines get drop a lot in the course of most IPSC stages. It seems they rarely get damaged given that competitors are still using them despite the cost of some of them. All-be-it they are usually dropped on the dirt not concrete and they usually have large rubber bump pads on the bottom.

Just my $0.02
mcb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glock mags are metal lined with a thick polymere coat also. I like my stainless XD mags. Enjoy a better made magazine and quitcha-bitch'n :p

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
stealthsniper said:
ranburr said:
The material can't be the same thickness and the plastic have any strength.
That statement is not unequivocally true. There are a number of plastics, particularly FRPs, that are as ridgid as steel. I'll dig up some figures if you're really curious.
I'm not.

ranburr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts