Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting a long time but I'd admit there's always somebody better and I'm asking for suggestions. I've purchased a Springfield XD-40 Service Model.
Tested from 10 feet 6 quick shots bullseye, 21 feet 6 quick shots bullseye. I went to 25 yards 6 slow shots couldn't hit a thing. It danced around the target. Let a friend shoot it and he couldn't even hit the target. Tried the 1911 and no problem at 25 yards. Bullseye.

Un-easy feeling with the XD-40 after owning 1911's and Glocks.

I've been through the firearms academy and shot with high scores and it could be me. But two good shooters with the same problem? Is there something I should know about? I used 180gr 950fps rounds.

At the moment, the gun sits in the safe. I cannot depend on the XD-40 in seconds it would take to defend myself from an armed criminal.

If somebody has a fix, I would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The trigger will get better with use. I couldn't shoot mine worth a dang either, eventually the groups got smaller, now they are nice and tight.

I know what you mean. When I got my first XD I was initially disappointed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much. For starters I'm going to see where it groups with a LARGE
piece of paper or cardboard. I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
94 Posts
7 yards to 25 yards is a big jump in distance. Perhaps you can shoot at an intermediate range to find out when the problem begins occuring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
omegaic said:
7 yards to 25 yards is a big jump in distance. Perhaps you can shoot at an intermediate range to find out when the problem begins occuring.
You're correct, and I thought about it today. Good point. I walked to my private pistol range with my large piece of cardboard. I stuck a green high-lighted target to the cardboard. I started at 25 yards and the group was low. Maybe the Glock habit. Thinking I'm use to the grip rake angle of my Glock. So I moved to 7 yards working my way up to 25 yards. The problem starts at 16 yards. Holes would group tighter then dance around flyer here and there. I came to a conclusion I will have to shoot the piss out of the unforgiving XD-40 to shoot good. I will have to go to the basics 4 levels back from my training. With my 1911 and Glock I point and shoot 25 yards bullseye. The grip rake angle of the 1911 is different then the Glock but I've been shooting 1911's for 35 years. I blacked out the rear sight dots on the XD-40 and added white auto paint to the front sight to brighten it up. Front sight trigger squeeze drill.

More suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
268 Posts
beernut said:
omegaic said:
You're correct, and I thought about it today. Good point. I walked to my private pistol range with my large piece of cardboard. I stuck a green high-lighted target to the cardboard. I started at 25 yards and the group was low. Maybe the Glock habit. Thinking I'm use to the grip rake angle of my Glock. So I moved to 7 yards working my way up to 25 yards. The problem starts at 16 yards. Holes would group tighter then dance around flyer here and there. I came to a conclusion I will have to shoot the piss out of the unforgiving XD-40 to shoot good. I will have to go to the basics 4 levels back from my training. With my 1911 and Glock I point and shoot 25 yards bullseye. The grip rake angle of the 1911 is different then the Glock but I've been shooting 1911's for 35 years. I blacked out the rear sight dots on the XD-40 and added white auto paint to the front sight to brighten it up. Front sight trigger squeeze drill.

More suggestions are welcome.
I think that the XD is very forgiving. its going to take a while if you have been shooting Glocks. it did me. now i cant shoot Glocks. its just going to take you getting used to it. as for 25yrds i would not want to shoot someone at that distance and try and tell a judge it was justified but that is a whole new story. keep shooting it you will get to love it

·
Registered
643 Posts
kgpcr said:
as for 25yrds i would not want to shoot someone at that distance and try and tell a judge it was justified but that is a whole new story.
well if they were shooting at me.... i guess it depends on other factors, possible retreats and background, etc...

wait, off topic sorry...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shooting low? Try putting the center of the front sight white dot on the target, instead of the top of the post. This is what I had to do to bring my shots back up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm new to this group and I'm glad I'm on the XD forum. Lot of good ideas. After collecting all the suggestions I have to reset and work the 21 feet with multiple targets slow front sight trigger squeeze. I picked out the XD because it felt better then my Glock and had a "beefier" feel to it. I like the grip safety and pin indicator. One of HK 9mm's had the indicator and it caught my eye.
I've owned almost every type of pistol the past 25 years. Kind of like foster kids, they come and go. I will let you folks know how the range test turns out. I may have more questions before completion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my XD-40 out to my range. Groups in feet not inches. Far as I'm concerned, range test over.
I've owned Glocks 17 (3), 22 (2), 20 (2), 21, and 30. Ive owned 1911's Kimber, Colt, Springfield (2) HK 45acp's. Sig's, Smith & Wesson 38 cal to
44 mags (several). Even Makarov's. Dozens and dozens of pistols and never shot anything so bad as the Springfield XD-40. Just for grins I returned the XD-40 to my dealer and he refund me in full. I bought a Glock 23. Took it home to my range, used the same 180gr 950fps FBI loads at 25 yards ended up with 3-4 inch group.

However, I am happy some of you received some good XD's but I would never own one or protect my life with one. But I am happy to hear you are happy with yours because that's what counts.

I work in a field that gives me the freedom to test rifles and pistols. I've tested M-4 lubrications in -10F to AZ summer heat. I've woke up with ice covering my rifles, (and myself) pistols, and know what works and what doesn't. I have shot mid-day in the blazing AZ heat in small sandstorms. I also ship the right kind of lube (my expense) free to our military in Iraq. Who am I? Nobody, I test firearms from 9mm's to Barrett 50bmg and give feedback to whoever wants testing. Owners of gun oil companies to law-enforcement.

The XD-40 flunked my test in mild weather on my private tactical range. Zero tactical shooting. Just pointing at the target and shooting.

I appreciate all the inputs from you folks and some of the ideas were interesting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
beernut said:
The XD-40 flunked my test in mild weather on my private tactical range. Zero tactical shooting. Just pointing at the target and shooting.
Sorry to hear about that one pistol failing. Did the dealer offer a different pistol as a swap? Hate to see anyone base their feelings on one example of a product...especially someone that tests products on a regular basis.

I had a Jennings .22 that worked one time. Guess they are all good.

Glad to hear the other firearms are working well. Happy shooting, and remember to take a friend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I also had a Jennings but in .380. Shot great, but then I read about all the accidents. Sold it for what I bought it for($125). I think you must have got a bad gun or something. I've only shot three different handguns, and I can hit whatever I aim at with my XD9. Before you write em off, try a different gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
omegaic said:
New to XD9Tac, but already I find I can shoot the XD faster and more instinctively in quick fire (feels very natural), but the G17 more accurately overall in slow fire. Time may change this.

My Tac9 is POA at 25yards, but larger groups, 1-2 times that of Glock 17 and 4-5 times that of the worst baseball size groups of my 1911.

I really do like the grip feel and angle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have never fired a Glock, but I love my XD-40 and I took it out to 35 yards just the other night - really performed well and superbly accurate!!!

I hope to get a 1911 in the near future, but until then I will keep on blasting away with my XD.

I also tried it at 25 yards and didn't see any of the accuracy problems mentioned above - in fact two bullets came close to creating one hole.

Great Gun!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear you did not like the pistol. However you do not seem to objective in your test. Condemed with passion because one did not meet your exspections. I have had numerous pistols, some the same model.. one may shoot better than the other.. I pistol is a complex piece of machinery. Manafacturing goofs sometimes happen.. some pistols like diffrent ammo etc, I have two Identical Polaris Snowmobiles. One has been fantastic ,, the other well pain in the butt. That is life.. Humans make all these things. I love my xd, I often shoot at thirty yards for fun and am often making three inch groups. Almost never miss the paper plate. It always leaves me with a smile.
Maybe try another, or find someone who is seasoned with a good xd and try his. IT would be ashame to let a fine pistol like the xd go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts