Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i have bought a glock! dont hate me. Anyways i recently picked up a g19 and have a question concerning the guide rod. i notice its all plastic? Does this usually cause problems? should a replace it? how much does it ost and wut kind?

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Plastic guide rod, plastic sights, plastic mags.

That killed it for me and why I like XDs.

OK, now we got the 'Glocks suck' post out of the way, from now on it's only GOOD THOUGHTS.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
As the question posed by the OP, you rarely hear about the guide rods in glocks breaking. I have a glock and I love it. Glocks are very good weapons. Saying that is not taking anything away from XD's as they are great too.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I've never had any problems with my G19- love it! You'll enjoy it. Welcome to the Dark Side. :cool:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i havent heard anything really either but i guess my real question isnt whether i should replace it but with wut kind and how much is it. since Bama runs things now i might as well get whaever i can while i can for the prices theyre at now. i believe ive heard of ppl using (might be pullin this out my as*) Don's guide rod??

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Yes i have bought a glock! dont hate me. Anyways i recently picked up a g19 and have a question concerning the guide rod. i notice its all plastic? Does this usually cause problems? should a replace it? how much does it ost and wut kind?
I have owned and shot Glocks for many years and personally have never had a problem with the plastic guide rods. I have seen a video of a torture test of ridiculous parameters that actually did cause the guide rod to break and fly out of the slide. The gun kept running. It was a Glock and it was going to go bang no matter what.

There are many steel replacement rods available if you are concerned about this and since they are only a few dollars each you could install one for your own piece of mind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ya i havent heard anything really either but i guess my real question isnt whether i should replace it but with wut kind and how much is it. since Bama runs things now i might as well get whaever i can while i can for the prices theyre at now. i believe ive heard of ppl using (might be pullin this out my as*) Don's guide rod??
OUCH that might hurt maybe you can get one from a local dealer:p
I,m just kidding with you hope you find your answer here if not try the glock forum

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'd stay with the stock rod. If you're so inclined you can find aftermarket assemblies, but you shouldn't have any problems at all with the stock piece. If you go to glockstore.com you can get a good feel for all of the aftermarket goodies out there for the glocks. That being said, TRAITOR!!! TO THE BURNING STAKE WITH YE!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Spend your money on something else other than a guide rod.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Glocks are very reliable. I have not seen a stock guide rod break. The stock plastic sights are OK, but almost everyone I know that has a Glock, has replaced their sight with a tritium night sight.

If you want to replace the stock rod, there are many place you can go to that sell steel or titanium replacements - Glockmeister.com - Glockmeister Online, Lone Wolf Distributors - Welcome are just two.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
You didn't pull it out, they are the most common brand, personally I wouldn't sweat it until after the 20k round mark.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Unless you have tone of rounds through the thing...I doubt you'll have any troubles with the plastic guide rod. I swapped mine out for a staniless unit, but I had owned the G22 for at least 10 years and put tons of 40SW through it and the rod was not giving out....I was merely hot-rodding the overall pistol and swapped it out.

Change it if you want, but I'd put money into extra mags and maybe a Ghost 3.5lb trigger long before I swapped the guide rod.

Plastic sights? Really? Mine are steel and so were the ones on my old G17. Mine were 2nd gen guns, though.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Front sight is plastic, rear is steel.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
The guide rod is no problem as my (other) Glocks have had them. My G30 is metal two spring. Check out Lonewolf for an upgrade if you want one. I put a slighty heavier spring in my G21.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Welcome

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have not seen a stock guide rod break.
On the contrary, I personally witnessed a friend's G19c break the guide rod in two. It was a pretty shocking experience, as the gun jammed up immediately and became inoperable. In fact, it was so disheartening that when I bought a SIG P239 and found it had a plastic guide rod, I called up the company to voice my concern. They happily sent out a steel guide rod replacement. With that being said, the dual captive guide rods of the sub-compacts seem to be much more stout. I haven't had a reason to doubt the dual-captive setup of the compacts, but if I had one of the larger framed guns, I'd probably get a replacement. It only takes one bad experience to change your opinion forever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 3 Glocks and have the stock spring/guide rob assembly in each one. After much research, I have seen where people have gone through thousands of rounds with no failures using the stock rods. Recently at a gun show, the Ghost trigger booth had sample Glocks and when checking out the triggers, I asked him if they used aftermarket spring/guide rods and he said no. After cycling the slide, I see how the barrel moves slightly and the guide rod gives a little in this process. I will only use stock here.

When assembling, make sure that the end of the guide rod is seated in the half circle in the barrel and you should not have any issues. The reports of breaking are from improper assembly in this area. Also...gotta love being able to get these for $4.20!!!! SP02457 Recoil Spring G19/G23/G32; SP02457; GA146

I also have a WD45 Service model with thumb safety (which I really like) and also use stock items here too.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed Trijicon sights and Lone Wolf guide rods on my G23 and G27. Congratz on your purchase...;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts