Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soon-to-be son-in-law wants a Glock in .45 acp for Christmas. He's a tall guy, so I'm thinking a full sized one.

I don't know much about them, so I need advice!!! Which would y'all recommend?

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Glock 21, 3rd generation.

Best darn polymer, striker fired, doublestack .45 made.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your options in a .45acp with Glock are rather limited compared to their other calibers. The are three .45acp variations including the full-sized G21, the subcompact G30, and the subcompact 'Slimline' G36.

I love my G21...

It is a rather large pistol, but it shoots like a dream at the range and even though it's a full sized pistol it can be easily concealed in an IWB holster.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not a fan of the Gen 4s myself, but it's the rough textured frame that I don't like.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My soon-to-be son-in-law wants a Glock in .45 acp for Christmas. He's a tall guy, so I'm thinking a full sized one.

Got another daughter? I need a .45! I'll send my son's picture for a picture of the gun! :D

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there is no Gen4 G21 as of this time.
There is now and from what I've seen on the Glock forums, top notch.

GLOCK 21 Gen 4-www.glockmeister.com

I had a Gen 2 Glock 21 for 18 years and it was perfect for 18 years. My old neighbor in Coronado was a member of SEAL Team 5 and used it during some field ops as well. He would bring it back dirty, nasty, with over 1000 rounds put through it in a day. Never skipped a beat. I probably should never have gotten rid of it.

BTW, my neighbor is still with Team 5 and his "unofficial" carry is a G30. Used in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

Buy him an xd and he will forget about the glock :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Glocks are fine weapons, if they weren't i would not have purchases one for my wife on our anniversary. I would go for the middle ground I personally am not a big fan of the way they feel in my hand. My wife's does shoot very nicely though G26. The shop had A G30 SF last week, nice mid size weapon.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Find out which he prefers by taking him to a LGS and letting him hold them.

And I agree with Cuda, a 21 gen 3 is a good gun.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
There is now and from what I've seen on the Glock forums, top notch.

GLOCK 21 Gen 4-www.glockmeister.com

I had a Gen 2 Glock 21 for 18 years and it was perfect for 18 years. My old neighbor in Coronado was a member of SEAL Team 5 and used it during some field ops as well. He would bring it back dirty, nasty, with over 1000 rounds put through it in a day. Never skipped a beat. I probably should never have gotten rid of it.

BTW, my neighbor is still with Team 5 and his "unofficial" carry is a G30. Used in both Afghanistan and Iraq.
There you go; learn something new every day...

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I have a Gen3 G-30 and it is my favorite handgun.

I have Scherer grip extensiosn for the mags. Prefer the G-30 over the G-21.

I'd stay away from Gen4 Glocks (personal experience).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
thats my Glock 21 gen 2 on top, I bought this back in the '90s and never had any malfunctions. If i was in the market today the gen 3 glock 21 would be my first choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a Glock 30SF on a trade last weekend and was able to take it to the range today. Wow, that thing is great. I was shooting it along with an FNP-9 and I didn't even notice a difference in recoil. Accuracy was awesome. The Glock 21 is probably a great gun, but is a bit on the larger side. I'd also consider the SF if you don't have really large hands, I know the SF still feels a bit chunky, but not uncomfortable. Anyway, for the size and weight, the 30 carries 10 rounds and appears to be a really nice gun overall.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Glock 21, 3rd generation.

Best darn polymer, striker fired, doublestack .45 made.
Double dittos! Had two until I recently gave one of them to my oldest son for a house gun.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I shot one of the older G21s and since my hands are not huge, it was not a good fit for me. Although the pistol was totally reliable and accurate.

I have borrowed a friend's Glock 30 many times and was amazed at how low the recoil was for such a small 45. It too was totally reliable and a very easy gun to shoot well. Typical Glock.

I'd say that a G21 or G30 would fit the bill. Hard to go wrong with any Glock 45, if you ask me.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
shoot can you be my father in law? mine doesnt like me :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts