Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So I ran a couple hundred rounds through my G19 this weekend and it's effects are devistating.

My trigger finger feels like I have arthritis and the first knuckle of my thumb (where it connects to my hand) is beat and bruised from the beaver tail spot nailing it during recoil. I only have about 500-600 rounds through this gun and I was hoping I could adapt to it, but I'm starting to get worried.

I think the grip is just too big and too wide for my baby hands. Maybe I can post some pictures of my grip tonight and you can critique but I still think its me. I can't seem to hit crap with this gun either, but maybe that is because of my grip problems.

What can I do? 3.5# connector? Grip reduction? Will that void the warranty and make it useless for CC? More practice? New gun?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yep...grip mod and spring/trigger work needed!

I had the grip modded on my Glock 22. Took the hump off the back and some meat out from under the triggerguard. I also replaced the 5.5lb trigger with a Ghost 3.5 trigger and polished everything out real well.

Made a HUGE difference in how it shot and felt. My G22 now points like a 1911 and is a joy to shoot with a decent trigger.

Do some research and you'll see that a grip mod WILL change a Glock for the better. I'd never own a Glock without having th grip modded. I cannot stand the hump on the Glock grip, but with it removed..its a very pleasant beast, indeed!

- Brickboy240

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
That's why they make so many different styles and sizes of handgun, so you can find one that fits you perfectly.

The trigger reach on most Glocks is way too short for me, but other people love 'em. Ditto with the grip size.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I think the Glock is just too big for some hands (neither my mom nor my sister can even reach the slide catch, let alone the mag release). can you manipulate the mag release with your shooting hand? if not, you might need a new gun, or maybe grip reduction (never heard of this but i would imagine the cost would be the same or more than selling the Glock and just getting an XD). i can shoot both my xd and Glock comfortably, but my girlfriend can only shoot the xd comfortably. the Glock beats her hand up. her hand had a small spot on the back of her thumb that was bleeding from the last time. i plan on selling it and getting another xd. aside from feeling better in my hand, the trigger is night and day better. there was a guy at the range last saturday with extensive trigger work on his Glock, and to me it still felt like mush compared to my xd. after being a Glock advocate, i can honestly say I've been converted. xd = Glock perfected.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does a grip reduction void the warranty? Can you send it back to GLOCK for this type of work? Are they going to make a G19 SF?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If Glock don't fit you try XD. They are the same concept but with thinner grip. I, myself is a glock guy but I understand it can't fit for everybody. XD is a solid decent gun, try it out next time you go to range. I think the trade in value is the same with XD. Go to your local shop and see if anyone welling to do a even trade.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love my XD9SC. I have been wanting a service cut down to compact size... I have considered another XD and I love the springer job on my SC. I just don't want to pay another $350 bucks to make a ****ty trigger into a decent one.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I don't remember is you said, do you have small hands?? I haven't shock the Glock before, is the trigger really that hard??

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO the GLOCK has a good trigger but sucks on feel. The XD has great feel but sucks on trigger. If I could fix the GLOCK feel it would be an awesome gun. I like my XD9SC the best though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A lot of Glock owners are going to the XD's just for the reasons you stated...

I would at least look into an XD before you void the warr' on your Glock, maybe trade it in or sell it.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Get Agrip; won't make the grip smaller, but will give you a better grip. Install a smooth, G17 trigger. I replace the serrated triggers on all my compact and subcompact Glocks. I also install aftermarket 3.5# connectors in all my Glocks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
yeah thats why I got the M&P the XD and the Glock just didn't fit me :-(

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
My SO started shooting with my G30 and tested out on her CHL with it. She is 5'3" with small hands.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I have to say this is a new one on me. While I have heard a lot of people say the Glock didn't feel right to them I don't think I have ever heard anyone say the grip was too big. I too took a little time to get used to the feel of Glocks but once I did they became very comfortable. I have a G22 and G23. They both feel quite natural to me now.

As far as the slide and mag release controls go, I don't think I have ever owned a gun with controls as close to my hand as my Glocks and no, I don't have large hands, average size probably. In medium to large guns I also have a Sig229, Beretta 92, and Ruger P90. All of these have larger grips than my Glocks and on some the controls are much more awkward to reach. Since I have only handled XD's in the shop and have not bought one yet I can't really compare them to any of my guns.

I am not arguing with anything anyone has said on this thread. I am sure you all are having the problems you say you have. I just wanted to express my surprise at hearing this since I have never heard of these particular problems before. I am also not one of those fanatic Glock defenders. I just think they are efficient reliable tools that do what they were meant to do. There are many guns out there that do this just as well.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm one of those that doesn't get along well with the Glock grip angle. The trigger is pretty good once you get accustomed to it, but that damned grip! I can shoot the baby Glocks extremely well out to 25 yards. I think it's actually because I have less of that yucky grip to mess me up! :eek: When stepping it up to full size, I'd much rather be shooting a SIG or an HK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts