Springfield XD Forum banner

Glock Gen 4 Magwell First Impressions

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  DevJames 
#1 ·
I had nearly despaired of finding a magwell for my Gen 4 Glock 34 that would allow me to use one of the large beavertail backstraps that came with it, and was one of the most important reasons I went with a Gen 4. Then I heard about Dawson Precision and how they had figured out a way to provide a magwell, with weighted plug, which would allow you to continue using your favorite large Gen 4 backstrap. I placed an order for one, even though it showed as "out of stock" on their web site, and inquired about this. I was told they make them basically upon demand when you place an order, that's why it shows as "out of stock." Dawson may want to consider making this note on their web page so as not to discourage customers from placing an order, I almost didn't.

About a week later the magwell showed up in the mail.

To say I'm extremely impressed with the craftsmanship, design, fit and finish is an understatement. This is really top notch quality.

It even is designed to use a replaceable "insert" at the bottom of the magwell so you can replace it if/when the original gets too dinged up from repetitive use.

It came with the right size allen wrench for the job and even a little bonus screwdriver, a flat blade that has a pocket clip (so you can go full nerd look with a few pens and mechanical pencils in your shirt pocket?). No, actually, the flat blade fits the slot where you can jimmy the insert out of the magwell if it needs replacing.

The photo instructions worked well so even a mechanical dufus like me figured it out easily. I over torqued one of the little allen screws that attach the magwell into the insert in the grip, and snapped off the head, so I guess this magwell is a permanent feature now.

The feel is great. With my huge hands it provides a bit of a shelf/platform for me as I grip the handgun and mag changes are really a breeze now, just get it in the general vicinity of the opening and push it home, easy!

Here are pics showing it with a Glock 17 magazine with a +6 Arredondo extension on it.

See less See more
#7 ·
Super impressed with the Gunny playing cards, now that's dedication.
A friend gave me this deck of Glock Gen 4 playing cards a couple years ago that he picked up when he was somewhere where they were handing them out. Can't remember where.

They are kind of fun.

#8 ·
A friend gave me this deck of Glock Gen 4 playing cards a couple years ago that he picked up when he was somewhere where they were handing them out. Can't remember where.

They are kind of fun.
The Gunny pegs the cool meter.

Did your parents have any kids that lived? Why you're so ugly you must be a modern art masterpiece.

Great stuff.

#10 ·
I was wondering what the purpose of this gun was. Kind of an odd build if you are looking at it from an IDPA or USPSA standpoint.

I guess it's a range or home defense gun in which case your are free to go nuts. ;)
It's my main defense gun, and my main training sidearm. Waiting for my milled slide to come in so I can get my Trijicon RMR on it. Also waiting for my ZevTech trigger group to arrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.