Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GLOCKs have the large slide on top of a standard frame while for the XDs the dimensions stay the same but the barrel is way thinner.

Will the slide and barrel on the XD be able to handle the abuse of the GAP round?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Warren said:
The GLOCKs have the large slide on top of a standard frame while for the XDs the dimensions stay the same but the barrel is way thinner.

Will the slide and barrel on the XD be able to handle the abuse of the GAP round?
The XD's slide is a little beefier dimensionally than the Glock slide; thus there was no need to change it. I've heard that the barrel wall seems thinner, but considering the relative low pressure that the GAP develops, I'm sure that this is not a problem. I would imagine Springfield's R&D has researched this well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"...but the barrel is way thinner."

FWIW, the barrel wall of a G36 is .083" thick or about 5/64 of an inch.

To bad SA didn't make their .45 a real .45 like Walther did! :idea:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, maybe this is a foolish question - is the XD45 only offered to LEOs? The reviews I've read have covered it as 'Tactical' and indicated it's aimed at law enforcement. I've been wanting to step up to a 45 and with below average mits something based on the GAP is appealing.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
cadmonkey said:
Ok, maybe this is a foolish question - is the XD45 only offered to LEOs? The reviews I've read have covered it as 'Tactical' and indicated it's aimed at law enforcement. I've been wanting to step up to a 45 and with below average mits something based on the GAP is appealing.
The XD .45 GAP is available to all (if you can find one!).
PS. Welcome to the HS/XD funhouse :!: :D

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
where u from cadmonkey?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks - Hasn't even appeared on SA's web site yet, but then again the 37 isn't on Glock's either and thats been out for a while now. And it's good to see a group of people enjoying our freedoms so much I just HAD to join! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
ur kidding!

holland here
where do you shoot? not too many choices: cleland's, the place 20 miles out central ave. and a couple way out the east side.

One other guy online from toledo- "Jeep" something. he shoots at clelands and is looking into the adams conservation club over on angola for membership costs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, Clelands is the only option I've been familiar with. Was out there today looking to spend some time on the range and would have had to wait an hour plus. All the workers were tied up so I couldn't even get any info on availability. Guess I need to get up earlier on Saturdays.... Wasn't aware of the Adams conservation Club. I'll have to look into that. I want to get out more often.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
C.H.Luke said:
"...but the barrel is way thinner."

FWIW, the barrel wall of a G36 is .083" thick or about 5/64 of an inch.

What's the barrel wall thickness on a standard 1911 Government?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
C.H.Luke said:
"
DO you mean that abortion called the SW99 from Walther and S&W? What a piece of junk. I had one once. Got rid of it, fast. The Barrel was screwed up from the get go by S&Ws poor quality control. They short chambered it so it was impossible for it to go into battery. Once I got that straightened out the accuracy was awfull. No thanks. The Walter P99 I had in 9mm was great, but that .45 ACP abortion that S&W sells should be taken off the market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts