Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had several "lock open while loaded" and/or FTFs with my G27 when using long mags. Specifically the G22 15rounders and the 22round "long mag". I started off using the XGrip spacer grip extentions but started seeing malfunctions.

I didn't have problems with the stock 9 rounders so I chalked it up to the longer magazines. I took it home, gave it a full detail strip cleaning and took all the XGrip spacers off.

So I go back to the range and still have these malfunctions with the 15 rounders and 22 rounder but not stock 9 rounders.

So fast forward to yesterday. I've sworn off using any of the 27's bigger brother mags (I'm super bummed because I like IWB carrying two G22 back up mags for a total of 40 rounds of .40) And to eliminate the possibility of cheap fmj ammo being the culprit I run 4 boxes of SD ammo with only the 9 round mags. Damned if I don't get two lock open when loaded malfunctions with Federal HST and two trigger not resetting malfunctions with cheap reloaded bulk ammo (MBI 180gr fmj)
The pistol is now at exactly 1,000rds after last night.

Googling all this I'm surprised to not see anyone else with these malfunctions! How does the trigger not reset when a fresh round has just been chambered from the gun cycling?

Anybody else experiencing FTFs & trigger not reset malfunctions with their Gen4 Glocks?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My buddy is having the same issue with his g19. The trigger resetting seems to be resolved after him cleaning out a little bit of gunk that was in the striker channel. He loaned me the gun to see if I could figure out the slide locking on a loaded magazine issue. I put about 400 rounds through it this last weekend and failed to replicate the malfunction. He says it is doing it at least once in every 2 magazines. I figured with 400 rounds, if it was happening, I would see it. I am confused as hell how this could be happening since mechanically there are only a couple things that could cause it outside of user error. I was convinced after this weekend he was doing something to cause it but if you are having the same issue, I'm not so sure. Did you try shooting left handed for a while to see if it still happened?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy is having the same issue with his g19. The trigger resetting seems to be resolved after him cleaning out a little bit of gunk that was in the striker channel. He loaned me the gun to see if I could figure out the slide locking on a loaded magazine issue. I put about 400 rounds through it this last weekend and failed to replicate the malfunction. He says it is doing it at least once in every 2 magazines. I figured with 400 rounds, if it was happening, I would see it. I am confused as hell how this could be happening since mechanically there are only a couple things that could cause it outside of user error. I was convinced after this weekend he was doing something to cause it but if you are having the same issue, I'm not so sure. Did you try shooting left handed for a while to see if it still happened?
No but I thought about doing that. What I did do is watch my thumb placement while I was shooting and my thumbs are forward and never get near the slide lock lever. Instead of immediately clearing the malfunction I was curious to see what was going on so I looking down and saw that the slide was actually locked back with the lever engaged rather than a FTF where the next round was partially on the feed ramp. The only thing it could be is that the "tab" on the inside of the slide lock lever bar is catching the nose of a round every once in a while and acting like the "tab catcher" on the mag follower. That's the only thing I can figure but I'm not a dremmel butcher so I might take it back to my LGS who is a licensed Glock Armorer and see....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If I figure out what is happening with the g19 I'll post back on here with an update and if you could do the same that would be great

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I figure out what is happening with the g19 I'll post back on here with an update and if you could do the same that would be great
You can count on me updating this thread because I'm not gonna rest until I figure what the F is going on here.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
If you use the mag as part of your grip it can cause malfunctions. Try it without touching any part of the longer mag.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you use the mag as part of your grip it can cause malfunctions. Try it without touching any part of the longer mag.
So do you think the pearce grip extension could cause that? If so why would it happen to one shooter and not the other?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
So do you think the pearce grip extension could cause that? If so why would it happen to one shooter and not the other?
Yes. Different people grip differently. Maybe one puts more pressure on the mag than the other.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
foo.c , I am willing to bet you are exactly right!

It makes so much sense and is why I'm looking at the G23, a little more grip but still concealable. I bet I can use my long mags with it because there won't be any pressure on the mag at all. All the pressure will be where it's supposed to be, on the frame. I bet if I could force myself to "dangle" my pinky while shooting the G27 w/ flush mag I'd have no more problems.

I have always thought that under recoil the mag is getting pushed toward the back of the grip forcing the top of the mag forward causing the top round to nose dive and I guess touch the slide lock lever tab.

Come to think of it I need to edit my OP to include that the trigger not reset malfunction was not with high quality SD ammo. It was with MBI (Miliary Ballistics Industries) bulk fmj ammo that I got in a 1,000rd case. Obviously it is reloaded ammo, all the cases are different brands... Maybe the trigger reset malfunction was due to a light load? But then again why would there be a fresh round in the chamber? Obviously the gun had cycled.:confused:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: 1,100 rounds Gen4 bought new in January'14

I ran a hundred rounds through the 27 using only the longer mags (15&22 rounders) last night making sure not to even touch the frame/mag with my pinky and I had some FTF's.:x I inspected the malfunction before clearing them and was surprised to see the slide was not locked back like the "LBWL" malfunction I started this thread for. Now I'm experiencing FTF's and trigger not reset malfunctions! The top round in the mag nose dived under the feed ramp and one time last night (this makes three times total) I had the trigger not reset with a fresh round in the chamber.:confused:

What would cause the trigger to not reset after a fresh round has been chambered? Even if the slide "short stroked" the trigger gets reset before the slide even moves far enough to the rear to strip the next round off??? I manually pulled the trigger forward and heard the click of the reset but then pressing it just put it back to the de-cock position without firing......????? weird!!!:confused::confused:

Anybody see anything like this before?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
i dont think trigger reset is mag specific. but i think the mag would cause the lockback and the nose dive issues.
i would suggest something goofy in the trigger mechanism that warrants a teardown, and clean. but that is based on my limited understanding of the trigger in my xd.
make the cleaning vigorous.
blast all that crap out real good.
theres gotta be a friction issue in the reset linkage, either by gunk, or by bent, broken parts.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont think trigger reset is mag specific. but i think the mag would cause the lockback and the nose dive issues.
i would suggest something goofy in the trigger mechanism that warrants a teardown, and clean. but that is based on my limited understanding of the trigger in my xd.
make the cleaning vigorous.
blast all that crap out real good.
theres gotta be a friction issue in the reset linkage, either by gunk, or by bent, broken parts.
No, I wish you were right but unfortunately this has happened before and after a total complete detail strip and cleaning. There is no gunk and even if there were this pistol has a reputation that it should run no matter what is gumming up the works.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update: 1,300 rounds at this point

So I decided even if the smooth trigger was a direct factory replacement for the "target" serrated trigger I'm gonna put the gun back to original (except for sights) and see if my problems go away.

So I put the original slide plate cover back on and the factory serrated trigger and went to the range. I ran 200 rounds without that trigger reset problem. Could it be that the smooth glock trigger without that "dimple" on the upright part of the trigger bar could've caused that sporadic trigger not reset malfunction? The smooth trigger(part 000357 from glockparts) was specifically for replacing the target triggers on all the baby glocks and compacts.:confused:

I did have two FTFs w/ a 15 rounder so I'm definitely sending this thing back to Glock to be hand tuned.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I leave things mostly stock. If I was to change parts and malfunctions started happening I would do what you did and go back to basics. Sounds like you had better luck with the factory config. Have you tried other ammo besides the bulk you have been having issues with? I know, especially with bulk reloads you can get some if not many duds/weak rounds.

Best of luck. Let us know how the tuning goes down in GA. I'm sure they will get it right. My 27 has been flawless with 3-400 rounds down the pipe. Even my my limp wresting mother who can make a 19 and 26 jam on command. LOL!

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Update: 1,300 rounds at this point

So I decided even if the smooth trigger was a direct factory replacement for the "target" serrated trigger I'm gonna put the gun back to original (except for sights) and see if my problems go away.

So I put the original slide plate cover back on and the factory serrated trigger and went to the range. I ran 200 rounds without that trigger reset problem. Could it be that the smooth glock trigger without that "dimple" on the upright part of the trigger bar could've caused that sporadic trigger not reset malfunction? The smooth trigger(part 000357 from glockparts) was specifically for replacing the target triggers on all the baby glocks and compacts.:confused:

I did have two FTFs w/ a 15 rounder so I'm definitely sending this thing back to Glock to be hand tuned.
Was it some aftermarket plate from ebay? Wouldn't put one of those on any of my Glocks, especially my carry piece. At first I thought maybe your trigger spring broke or came off but if it runs well in factory configuration, well, leave it factory.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You may need to check the spring in that 15 rounder. Just a though.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was it some aftermarket plate from ebay? Wouldn't put one of those on any of my Glocks, especially my carry piece. At first I thought maybe your trigger spring broke or came off but if it runs well in factory configuration, well, leave it factory.
It's one of those $18 laser etched ones with the grim reaper on it. I thought metal>plastic but I digress.:(

I leave things mostly stock. If I was to change parts and malfunctions started happening I would do what you did and go back to basics. Sounds like you had better luck with the factory config. Have you tried other ammo besides the bulk you have been having issues with? I know, especially with bulk reloads you can get some if not many duds/weak rounds.

Best of luck. Let us know how the tuning goes down in GA. I'm sure they will get it right. My 27 has been flawless with 3-400 rounds down the pipe. Even my my limp wresting mother who can make a 19 and 26 jam on command. LOL!
I eliminated the possibility of ammo by running 5 boxes of high quality GoldenSabers, HydraShok and HST's and just when I thought I was in the clear the last mag FTF a round of HST 180gr

You may need to check the spring in that 15 rounder. Just a though.
It happened to two of my 15's, my 22 rounder and the one FTF of HST was with a flush 9 rounder.:( I'd say it's the gun. I'd like to blame ammo or mags but it's too coincidental.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Damn! Get it in, let them fix you up. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts